Good skiing in Oz ...

Old August 10th 04, 01:22 PM
J999w

Default Good skiing in Oz ...

.... check Skinnyski.com then follow the links. I found a nice site with a bunch
of web cams down there in the Oz Alps ... looks quite nice.

Then I got inspired and Google'd up " Juha Meito" ... found a lot of neat
recent pics ... looking good chopping wood and skiing !

jw
milwaukee
Old August 10th 04, 06:40 PM
sknyski

two weeks from how I'll be down there, skiing. I'll post pictures on my web site.

bt
Old August 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Aliant

Hoppet Loppet? (I think it is really called the Kangaroo Loppet). On my
list to do, at some point. If that's where you are going, please post
logistics details for those who may follow....

TIA,
-Scott.
om...

Old August 12th 04, 03:36 AM
sknyski

Will do. It will be my second go-round (did it in 2000). The name of
the race is actually the "Kangaroo Hoppet", and locals refer to it as
just the Hoppet. I've never heard it called the "Hoppet Loppet" or
the "Kangaroo Loppet" or anything like that. Picky, but I thought I
would point that out.

If you're just going to Oz to ski - and I don't recommend just going
there to ski - then fly to Melbourne and take the Pyles coach up to
Falls Creek and stay at Howmans Gap. There is a shuttle from HG up to
the ski trails every day. A lot of the racers stay there.

If you are not just going to ski, then ask me in a few weeks. THe
first time I went I stayed in Falls Creek for 10 days and nearly died
from boredom, but had a great race. The second time I coupled my trip
with time in Canberra and Syndey and skied at Perisher and Mt. Hotham.
This time we are going to spend a few days in Melbourne, and then go
up to the Great Barrier Reef.

Blah, blah, blah,.....

bt
Old August 12th 04, 08:29 PM
revyakin

There is a shuttle from HG up to
the ski trails every day.

can't one rent a car there? Oh, I forgot - you're supposed to keep
left on roads. Ouch.
Old August 12th 04, 09:17 PM
Aliant

I knew there was a Hoppet or a Kangaroo in there somewhere!

I wouldn't go up just to ski. I've been to Melbourne on business and would
probably combine business with a ski outing. I wasn't sure what the
arrangements were like up in Falls Creek for staying over or for skiing, but
it sounds like you'd recommend staying in Howmans Gap. It also sounds like
the plan would be to limit a sojourn to a few days around race time, rather
than spend a week (or 10 days) up there.

Good luck with the "off season" race!

-Scott.

om...

Old August 13th 04, 03:27 AM
sknyski

Yes, you can rent a car, but I was just suggesting the low-budget
route. There is actually a relatively steep daily fee to get into the
"park" where the ski resort is.

And yes, you do drive on the "wrong" side of the road. And you ski on
the wrong side of the trail, too. No kidding.

On your right,
bt