Crash!

Old January 31st 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Crash!

Hi All,

Last night I was minding my own business, having a nice late night
ski, when all of the sudden while in a crouch at the fastest part of
my loop, both skis simultaneously caught ruts and went outward. I
think I was going about 45-50km/h (based on info from a friend who
skis there with his GPS). I had just enough time to think to myself,
"Oh, s...!" before my knees hit the deck, slamming me chest first onto
the hard-packed snow. Dazed, as I lay there for a few moments getting
my bearings and making sure my collar bones were intact, I considered
calling it a day. But no, I skied up to the top and blased down again,
this time in an even tighter tuck. Man I love skiing!

Joseph

Old January 31st 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 31 Jan 2007 07:08:13 -0800, "
wrote:

Last night I was minding my own business, having a nice late night
ski, when all of the sudden while in a crouch at the fastest part of
my loop, both skis simultaneously caught ruts and went outward. I
think I was going about 45-50km/h (based on info from a friend who
skis there with his GPS). I had just enough time to think to myself,
"Oh, s...!" before my knees hit the deck, slamming me chest first onto
the hard-packed snow. Dazed, as I lay there for a few moments getting
my bearings and making sure my collar bones were intact,

Always wear a helmet.
--
JT
****************************
Old January 31st 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar

On Jan 31, 7:08 am, "
wrote:
Hi All,

Last night I was minding my own business, having a nice late night
ski....

Joseph

Hi Joseph.

I was just wondering if you were skiing a lighted track or with head
lights.

Edgar

Old January 31st 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 31, 6:16 pm, "Edgar" wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:08 am, "

wrote:
Hi All,

Last night I was minding my own business, having a nice late night
ski....
Joseph

Hi Joseph.

I was just wondering if you were skiing a lighted track or with head
lights.

Edgar

Well-lit track. It's about as wide as a 2-lane road, and lit with what
seem to be street lamps. I find it actually easier to see surface
countours under those lamps than during the day.

Joseph

Old January 31st 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

45-50km/h

yeah, right.

Old January 31st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 31, 8:31 pm, "
wrote:
45-50km/h

yeah, right.

He has one of those Garmin GPS sports jobs. He gets up to 40+ at that
stretch, and I outweigh him by easy 50 lbs.

I never thought those sorts of speeds were normal, but after seeing
his info, I guess it is.

Joseph

Old February 1st 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

I seem to remember the New Moon catalog saying that level 5 skiers
(very good skiers) rarely fall, but when they do, it's a good one.
Second thing is 50 kph = 30 mph, and I consider 30 mph the normal
speed for a fast downhill.

Jay

Old February 1st 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
I seem to remember the New Moon catalog saying that level 5 skiers
(very good skiers) rarely fall, but when they do, it's a good one.

I do consider myself a pretty good skier, by Norwegian standards, and
yeah, I agree. When I do wipe out, it tends to be a major fall, the kind
where you spend a few minutes getting snow out of places where you
didn't really know you had places. :-)

Second thing is 50 kph = 30 mph, and I consider 30 mph the normal
speed for a fast downhill.

Right, I also suspect the poster was misreading the numbers a mph
instead of km/h.

Terje

Jay

--
-
Old February 1st 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I've been up to 60+ km/h many times on xc skis, I believe they measured
up to 70 on the Soldier Hollow trails during the Utah Olympics, right?

60-70km/h is nothing all that bad. Many years ago, when we still had
World cup here in Slovenia there was track where top speed (measured,
not guessed) was over 80km/h. When I was still in skiing I went few
times from under the table of 140m jumping hill (which is pretty steep
and long downhill) with xc skis. Now that is something what I call
fun. And bit less of fun if you fall on bottom

PS: So 40-50km/h on downhill is really nothing so special for normal
skier.

Bode Miller crash and talking trash vid [email protected] Alpine Skiing 2 February 7th 06 04:15 PM
My Crash ! bjorn Nordic Skiing 29 October 13th 05 12:18 AM
Crash of the year Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing (moderated) 31 February 1st 05 09:59 PM
USST's Shelley Glover dies three days after Oregon training crash Marty Alpine Skiing 0 May 9th 04 03:00 AM
JMU Student From N.Va. Dies in Snowboard Crash Beloved Leader Snowboarding 5 January 19th 04 06:30 PM