Crust in a.m., corn in p.m.?

Old March 2nd 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default Crust in a.m., corn in p.m.?

Here in mid-Michigan we now have GREAT CRUST in the open areas. My
poles broke thru in shady places. We had 40F sun yesterday and today
it's 25F still.

I usually switch over about now to pure crust skating on the more
picturesque of local golf courses.

In the morning the tracked trails would be boilerplate death ice. But
I have a question: is the idea that later in the afternoon, after it's
thawed awhile, that the tracked trails will get their own Sweet Spot
and be great, fast corn for awhile (with enough softness and texture
on top to quiet the skis and give control) until it's been warm for
too long and they turn to slop?

This time of year can be kinda short for us, so I want to shorten my
learning-curve and not miss out or mess up. I have friends who prefer
trail skiing so I'm thinking we can go out in the afternoons but I
didn't want to screw up and send them out to their icy doom or get
their poles sunk halfway to the grips. : )

I just had a great blazing fast half hour golf course crust skate --
maybe 15mph on some of the flats!

--JP
Old March 4th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

jeff potter wrote:
[...]

In my neck of the woods (down in the hills of the New York State Finger
Lakes, a special spot exists that has 2200 ft altitude and gets much
more snow than anyplace within 100 miles (Harriet Hollister NYS rec
area). I find that in spring there is about a 2 hour window where the
snow softens up from ice before is gets too soft. Depends how fast
things are warming, but 10-12pm is typical in later spring.

Corn klaus Alpine Skiing 55 May 23rd 08 10:36 PM
Ski-go racing universal kick wax -1-20 vs Swix KR-30 for corn cold snow Vladimir Nordic Skiing 1 February 2nd 06 07:21 AM
Kickwax for corn and fresh snow mix? BarryT Nordic Skiing 2 January 24th 05 08:37 PM
breakable crust revisited William Maas Backcountry Skiing 0 December 2nd 04 01:01 AM
help with breakable crust William Maas Backcountry Skiing 18 November 8th 04 02:38 PM