Route advise: Salzburg Airport to Zell am See

Old February 25th 04, 09:19 AM
Jack Guest`

Default Route advise: Salzburg Airport to Zell am See

Hi all,

You may have seen my previous postings about 'Bloody cheap transfers
to Zell...' and 'How many skiers can you fit in a mini'.

Anyway, the now 7 of us have booked 2 hirecars from Salzburg airport
and will be attempting to a) fit in them with luggage + ski gear. b)
Navigate to Zell from the airport at around 9pm at night.

If anyone's got experience with this route and any advise (avoiding
tolls a possibility?) that'd be great.

Perhaps more importantly, if anyone knows how likely we are to need
snow chains on this route that would be much appreciated!

Jack
Old February 25th 04, 05:33 PM
db

Id catch the train, its about 11 euros each way and about an hour and a half
from salzburg.
You can catch the nu,mber 2 bus from outside the airport for a couple of
euros and it takes 15 mins.
The train is very clean and punctual and you can get the timetable at
www.oebb.com . Zell station is about 500 metres
from the city express gondola and right in the town center. I found this
route so easy that i dont think i'll rent a car again
as i use to always do that.
As for the drive the road seems to follow the train track along its course
through mainly valleys so i dont think there will be
much hill climbing as zell is at the bottom of the valley too. i done this
route 3 weeks ago and again in 3 weeks from now . Great
resort that you will love

om...

Old February 26th 04, 05:32 AM
Steve

Turn left out of the airport and carry on into Germany past Bad Reichenhall.
Once you get back into Austria at Unken start looking for signs for Lofer
and Zell am See (Lofer is on the road you are on but there is now a bypass
through a tunnel). Turn left at Lofer and then follow the road down to Zell.
These are main transit routes so should be kept fairly clear. No tolls.

IMO, the hardest part is going to be finding your accommodation in Zell on a
Saturday, if you don't already know the accommodation and town. There is a
tunnel, one-way system and pedestrian zone to contend with!

If you are travelling this Saturday be aware that there is heavy snowfall
forecast before, during and after the weekend and that snow-clearing
performance tends to get understandably worse at the time you will be
driving. If there is heavy snow, I would personally still take this route as
the motorway can be a nightmare but it depends on your confidence and
experience in winter driving.

Good luck
--
Steve Rout

http://www.skiseefeld.com/

Old February 27th 04, 10:58 AM
Jack Guest`

Many thanks for your help!

Bloody good of you!

Great snow as you say - we cant wait to get there! :-)