Copper censors comments on their website

Old November 4th 03, 01:40 PM
Chester Bullock

Default Copper censors comments on their website

I just received the following from Jen Hartley, of the marketing
department at Copper. My original post to their bulletin board follows
her comment. If you go to their bulletin board, you will notice that
during the sign up process you are not presented with any sort of Terms
of Service in which they outline the policy regarding posting links to
other sites. Further proof they still don't get it.

Jen can be contacted at and their bulletin
board can be seen at
http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/mountain/bb/

It does not appear that you have to have Flash running to access the bb.

Jen Hartley (C) wrote:

Chester,
I've removed your post from the forum. No links or self-promotion allowed.

Jen

Hate to sound vain, but Copper stopped understanding the web once they
moved control of the website from the IT department to the marketing
department. When we were editing content, there was at least some sort
of reason to the process. About a year after I left the company,
marketing took over, and that is when the nonsense with Flash began.
People used to come to Copper's site to get the information they wanted
because it was easy to find. Now you have to jump through a bunch of
hoops like a circus dog, and still may not find what you are looking
for. I love to ski Copper, but have always been honest with people when
it comes to the place. The parking sucks, and this website really misses
it's mark. Kudos to madurai for pointing out the obvious problems of
Flash, and the not so obvious ones like usability. Guessing this person
follows the conversations at zeldman.com, a site we (as web designers)
can all learn a great deal from. I just got going in standards, but am
now evangelizing that just like I evangelized the Web to Copper in
1994-95. My site doesn't reflect it yet, as I have been busy moving
clients to W3C compliance. But if you need snow reports or mountain
cams, take a look at http://www.black-diamond.com - and if you want an
honest assessment of conditions in Colorado, just email me.

- Chester Bullock
Original Web Guy for Copper Mountain

--
Chester Bullock,

Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming
Tenxible Solutions,
http://www.tenxible.com
Web Based Autoresponder and DRIP system, http://www.toolsre.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old November 4th 03, 02:20 PM
Jay Pique

Jen Hartley (C) wrote:

[...]

Give 'em hell Chester!

JP
*************************
Flash! boom Ah-ahhhh!.....Saviour of the Universe!

Old November 4th 03, 02:31 PM
Chester Bullock

wrote:

I just received the following from Jen Hartley, of the marketing
department at Copper. My original post to their bulletin board follows
her comment. If you go to their bulletin board, you will notice that
during the sign up process you are not presented with any sort of Terms
of Service in which they outline the policy regarding posting links to
other sites. Further proof they still don't get it.

Jen can be contacted at and their bulletin
board can be seen at
http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/mountain/bb/

It does not appear that you have to have Flash running to access the bb.

Give 'em hell Chester!

JP
*************************
Flash! boom Ah-ahhhh!.....Saviour of the Universe!

I don't know if they expect me to behave differently because I used to
work there or what, but they should know better. Jen definitely knows I
am opinionated, she worked in HR when I was there. Get this, the title
of her email to me was "c'mon, play nice please".

Old November 4th 03, 04:19 PM
pigo

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message

I don't know if they expect me to behave differently because I used to
work there or what, but they should know better. Jen definitely knows

am opinionated, she worked in HR when I was there. Get this, the

title
of her email to me was "c'mon, play nice please".

The crayons had/has a message board on the RSN cam site. They censored
my posts there too. They didn't like that I reported that their 8" of
new at the base usually wasn't enough snow to dampen the canvas of my
tennis shoes when I was up there offing one of their overpriced tickets.

pigo

Old November 4th 03, 04:34 PM
Wardo

Hee hee, point well made, Chester. I am emailing Ms. Hartley with my
concerns regarding her censorship.

Old November 4th 03, 04:39 PM
Chester Bullock

pigo wrote:

The crayons had/has a message board on the RSN cam site. They censored
my posts there too. They didn't like that I reported that their 8" of
new at the base usually wasn't enough snow to dampen the canvas of my
tennis shoes when I was up there offing one of their overpriced tickets.

Yes, they have an inane mindset of "we're going to eliminate anything
that makes us look bad" even though people will figure it out and be
bitter for the blatant lies they tell. Marketeers are in their own
little world. And for some reason they still haven't figured out the
r.s.* hierarchy. I showed them the newsgroups once, in the fall of
1995. You should have heard what they wanted me to post. Looked worse
than a press release, dripping with half-truths. It was then that I
realized that marketeers really have no concept of reality, both in
terms of what people expect (the truth) and what they deserve (again,
the truth).

Old November 5th 03, 01:58 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:19:00 CST, "pigo"
wrote:

The crayons had/has a message board on the RSN cam site. They censored
my posts there too. They didn't like that I reported that their 8" of
new at the base usually wasn't enough snow to dampen the canvas of my
tennis shoes when I was up there offing one of their overpriced tickets.

Oh yea, I remember *that* board.

It was hilarious, all the ****ed-off season tic holders
checking-in...especially when the understaffed Crayons Safety Patrol
couldn't open much of the mountain for days after a storm.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old November 7th 03, 08:07 AM
ant

Chester Bullock wrote:
Jen Hartley (C) wrote:

Chester,
I've removed your post from the forum. No links or self-promotion
allowed.

bwaaaahaaahaaaa!
Hey, it's OK Chester, you can re-post the guts of what you said, but without
the links to your sites! Right?! That's what she said. Removed due to the
links and self-promotion.

ant