New "chairlift" (for TCS)

Old September 11th 03, 02:42 PM
Richard Henry

Default New "chairlift" (for TCS)

Last night on PBS I saw a show on water. Included were scenes inside a
South African mine where the miners rode something like a horizontal
single-chair lift to get from the bottom of the elevator shaft to the
working face.

Old September 12th 03, 06:38 PM
TCS

Last night on PBS I saw a show on water. Included were scenes inside a
South African mine where the miners rode something like a horizontal
single-chair lift to get from the bottom of the elevator shaft to the
working face.

Maybe that's a counterpoint to a lift system that Park City had several years
ago. There you rode a mine train into the mountain and then rode an old mine
elevator up to the ski slopes. Cool!

TCS (needing to update my sig. It's snowing!)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed
Old September 12th 03, 06:46 PM
Chester Bullock

TCS wrote:

Last night on PBS I saw a show on water. Included were scenes inside a
South African mine where the miners rode something like a horizontal
single-chair lift to get from the bottom of the elevator shaft to the
working face.

Maybe that's a counterpoint to a lift system that Park City had several years
ago. There you rode a mine train into the mountain and then rode an old mine
elevator up to the ski slopes. Cool!

TCS (needing to update my sig. It's snowing!)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed

Is it snowing in the Springs???

Chester Bullock,
Tenxible Solutions
Ethical, quality website design and programming
http://www.tenxible.com

Old September 12th 03, 07:13 PM
Dave Stallard

TCS wrote:

Last night on PBS I saw a show on water. Included were scenes inside a
South African mine where the miners rode something like a horizontal
single-chair lift to get from the bottom of the elevator shaft to the
working face.

Maybe that's a counterpoint to a lift system that Park City had several years
ago. There you rode a mine train into the mountain and then rode an old mine
elevator up to the ski slopes. Cool!

I've heard that. Has anybody here ever ridden it? How long was it in
operation? And where on the mountain did it come out?

Dave
Old September 12th 03, 07:37 PM
AstroPax

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:13:43 GMT, Dave Stallard
wrote:

I've heard that. Has anybody here ever ridden it? How long was it in
operation? And where on the mountain did it come out?

---
quote
Where but in Park City would mine technology be used to transport
skiers? It happened in 1965 when United Park City Mines Company, which
built and operated Treasure Mountains Resort (now Park City Mountain
Resort), decided to use the old Spiro mine drain tunnel as an
alternative way to get skiers to the summit of the ski resort.

The mine company create the world's first underground ski lift, using
the existing electric mine train coupled with cars fabricated to carry
skiers and their skis. The skiers traveled three miles into the
mountain to the Thaynes Shaft where a hoist (mine elevator) lifted
them 1,800 feet to the surface in Thaynes Canyon. There they put on
their skis and traveled the short distance to the Thaynes Chair Lift.

The unique underground transportation system was soon dubbed the
"Skier Subway." "Just like riding the subway in New York," remarked
one skier. (Underlying the Park City area are some 1,000 miles of
tunnels, several times more than the New York subway system.)

Unfortunately, the "Skier Subway" couldn’t survive on the novelty
alone. After riding it once, skiers would grow frustrated with the
long trip and opt for the gondola instead. The last mine train
specifically for skiers ran in February 1969.
/quote
---

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old September 12th 03, 09:47 PM
TCS

TCS (needing to update my sig. It's snowing!)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed

Is it snowing in the Springs???

Chester--

No, I was just referring to the 3 inches on Pikes Peak - which made it onto The
Weather Channel (all skiers watch TWC, don't they?).

It did get down to 37 degrees at the AFA, near my house, last night. And,
since I'm going to an AFA football game tomorrow - It will surely snow.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in one month!
Old September 12th 03, 10:12 PM
Chester Bullock

TCS wrote:

TCS (needing to update my sig. It's snowing!)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed

Is it snowing in the Springs???

Chester--

No, I was just referring to the 3 inches on Pikes Peak - which made it onto The
Weather Channel (all skiers watch TWC, don't they?).

It did get down to 37 degrees at the AFA, near my house, last night. And,
since I'm going to an AFA football game tomorrow - It will surely snow.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in one month!

Going to my son's football game at 9am, forecast is for rain... ugghhhh...

Chester Bullock,
Tenxible Solutions
Ethical, quality website design and programming
http://www.tenxible.com
AIM: tenxible
Yahoo: ccb247

Old September 12th 03, 10:23 PM
Richard Henry

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message
TCS wrote:

TCS (needing to update my sig. It's snowing!)

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed

Is it snowing in the Springs???

Chester--

No, I was just referring to the 3 inches on Pikes Peak - which made it

onto The
Weather Channel (all skiers watch TWC, don't they?).

It did get down to 37 degrees at the AFA, near my house, last night.

And,
since I'm going to an AFA football game tomorrow - It will surely snow.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in one month!

Going to my son's football game at 9am, forecast is for rain...

ugghhhh...

Five kids' games scheduled over the weekend. Will it be clear, or clear and
hot?