Inline (skeelers) and ice-skates with XC ski boots

Old September 30th 03, 08:32 PM
David Dermott

Default Inline (skeelers) and ice-skates with XC ski boots

I don't inline skate or roller ski myself (prefer cycling)
but these inline skates (or skeelers as they are called in Dutch)
which are used with a normal XC ski boot might be of interest
to some:

(from Free-Skate in the Netherlands)

"http://www.free-skate.com/engels/index.htm"
(click "FREE-SKATE for ice, FREE-ROLLER-SKATE for skeelers)
(or go directly to
"http://www.free-skate.com/engels/free-skate.htm"
"http://www.free-skate.com/engels/free-skeeler.htm"

The skeelers are shown with Salomon Pilot bindings but probably
SNS profile or even NNN-2 bindings would work.

The ice-skates they sell look a lot like the Almgrens (Sweden)
models.

The techniques of inline-skating ("skeeling" ? "Skeelering" ?) are
probably different than ice-skating or skate-skiing so there may or may
not be the same advantages having the free-heel (klap action). Using the
same boots would be an advantage.

I do some ice skating on my Zandstra skates:
"http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/zandstra.jpg"
or my new Almgrens:
"http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/ski/almgrens.jpg"

Falling on ice hurts more than falling on snow, but
less than falling on pavement!

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old September 30th 03, 10:34 PM
Ken Roberts

Thanks for sharing that, David - - We know have available to us every
conceivable combination of wheels, boots, and bindings.
http://free-skate.com/engels/images/free-skeeler.jpg

I guess we could consider it the world's first commercial 5-wheel rollerski.
Or maybe it's not a rollerski because the wheels are too tight together. If
they insert 3 cm of space between the front two wheels and the back three,
does it then qualify as a _real_ rollerski? What about 5 cm space? or does
it take 10 cm?

I notice they only offer it with a Pilot binding. Which is fitting with the
concern I've been having that my new-found love for inline skating is going
to force me to switch to Pilot for my XC ski skating -- because I'm going to
become too accustomed to the tighter connection of my heel to my gliding
mechanism.

It's interesting to compare those with some of the models on
http://home1.gte.net/pjbemail/KlapSk8.html
and page down to "Team Solomon", and also compare with
http://salomoninline.com/pdf03/2346us.pdf
in Salomon's current product line.

Ken

Old October 1st 03, 05:06 AM
Serge

To all these combinations of wheels, blades and bindings I can only
add
that Roxa(skating brand) use to have 2-wheel rollerski with pivoting
platform
that accepted skating boot (sort of like "Enduro" rollerski).

I would strenuously object 5-wheel rollerski classification by Ken.
Rollerski has to have boot base at the same or lower level as wheel
axle.
Anything above that is a skate, whether 5 or 2-wheel.

And don't get exited about clap-skate. Solid ice skating reputation
notwithstanding they are abandoned in inline skating, for now at
least,
in favor of 100mm frames.
Old October 1st 03, 12:08 PM
David Dermott

On 30 Sep 2003, Serge wrote:

Rollerski has to have boot base at the same or lower level as wheel
axle.
Anything above that is a skate, whether 5 or 2-wheel.

Hmm, that is an interesting definition of the difference
between a roller-ski and a roller-skate.

So I guess the Eagle Sport Skater, sold by Jamie Hess at Nordic Skater,
is really a roller-ski since the wheel axle is at base level.

"http://www.nordicskater.com/eagle/skater.html"

Review of Eagle Sport at:
"http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jaydavis/fssc/features/eaglesport.html"

Old October 1st 03, 02:27 PM
Erik Brooks

Old October 1st 03, 04:56 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Erik Brooks wrote:

A couple of years ago, I bought some
in-line skates for my daughter that do
this too. I think they cost only $50
full price, and as far as I could see,
there is no downside to them. K2 brand,
IIRC.

Thanks for the note. I purposely shielded my eyes when I sensed
in-line skates coming into view. At 2.5 years, my kids are quite
accomplished at falling down without any assistance from wheels! :-)

"Maybe next year" :-)

-Mitch

Old October 1st 03, 06:10 PM
Serge

David Dermott wrote in message ...

So I guess the Eagle Sport Skater, sold by Jamie Hess at Nordic Skater,
is really a roller-ski since the wheel axle is at base level.

Ther is another similar contraption avaliable in Holland - Twinliner
http://www.nikhef.nl/~marcok/twin/index_ned.html

Not much different from Eagle skate, but market as true skate and has
a speed skating boot and (wouldn't you know it)- two rollerski wheels.

I must say that in addition of having lower height(see my previous
mess.), rollerski has to be 530mm or longer.
Old October 1st 03, 09:32 PM
Ken Roberts

I've watched my 6-year-old and 9-year-old nieces practice inline skate
"performance routines", during which they deliberately flop onto the
pavement several times and laugh.

I have it in video clips. Not my idea of fun. But they have less far to
fall than I do.

Ken