Waxless

Old January 6th 08, 08:52 AM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Fork off with that how many days on snow rubbish. If you can't comment remotely on topic, just don't. Elitist crap, no matter how experienced and well-respected you are.

Take your nose from the white stuff so you can see the snow as well as the horizon.

I know I'm irritating you elistist folks like nothing else, and it will only get worse. When I say "told you so". I've won larger arguments in sports than this little outdated matter. And don't misunderstand, I'm just challenging views, not saying I know it all.

I'll counter with another question. How many type of stone grinds have you tested without putting wax on them? I haven't either, but surely will. I respecct those who claim that it worrks for them, or has gottem them world medails. Chew on that.
Old January 6th 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

Default Waxless

In article ,
Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Fork off with that how many days on snow rubbish. If you can't comment
remotely on topic, just don't.

I'm not sure how you can draw conclusions about wax without
a good amount of experience on snow (and lots of different
kinds of snow). It may have been expressed as a jibe but I
think there's a good question at its core.

Old January 9th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Replying in general to the comments on grip tape.

I've used Start Grip tape all winter now. I'm on my second
application. The first application lasted about 60 km, and was worn
off by a day on very abrasive ice, a day when I skied about 30 km and
snow plowed on very treacherous hills- hills I would normally ski down
w/o any speed control. I believe it was that that wore off the tape
rather quickly - not normal kick and glide, turning, etc. on normal
snow. I wouldn't be surprised if I get 70+ km on the new tape since
the ice is gone (for now).

I've used the tape on new and old snow in temps ranging from about
+25F to -15F. I have not raced with it, but have skied pretty
seriously including intervals with a group of skiers who are similar
to or stronger than me in ability and fitness, and who are pretty
serious about messing with kick wax. Therefore, I think I can judge
the performance not only on how it "feels" to me, but how it works in
comparison with conventional kick wax applied by serious skiers in
training.

I have been VERY, VERY happy with the performance of the grip tape. I
have never felt that my glide - in these training/recreational
conditions - has been compromised (with exception below). The kick is
not always rock solid, but always very good and comparable with the
kick you get when you use conventional waxes - sometimes you nail it
perfectly, sometimes it's less than perfect, but works OK. In
otherwords, In well over 100 km of skiing on grip tape in a wide
variety of temperatures, I've felt that both the kick and glide has
been on average as good or better than what I would have achieved with
conventional kick wax.

The HUGE advantage is that I just put on the skis and go. This is
significant for day to day skiing: typically, like a lot of you, I
like to get in a ski at lunch time or after work. Avoiding the need
to apply kick wax specific to that day's conditions can literally make
the difference between having the motivation to get the ski in and
skipping it. It can also literally save as much as 15 minutes of prep
time, making my 30 minute ski into a 45 minute ski (or 45 into 60 -
you get the idea!). I cannot stress enough how important this is to
me and what a huge benefit it is.

I would be willing to accept quite a bit of decreased kick/glide
efficiency to achieve this benefit, but as I said above, I don't
believe I'm sacrificing much if anything at all.

Applying the grip tape is actually very easy, no more difficult or
time consuming than cleaning the kick zone, roughing it and applying a
good solid binder and wax of the day.

The only conditions that the grip tape seems to be less than stellar
is when there is a dusting of new snow in the tracks. My experience
tells me that glide is decreased. However, this goes away if there's
any glaze at all on the tracks, for instance, if you're following a
couple of skiers up ahead.

All in all I'm very happy with Start grip tape and plan to keep a pair
of skis set up with it at all times.