Winter Storm Warning...

Old February 26th 04, 06:13 PM
AstroPax

Default Winter Storm Warning...

Bwaahaahaaaahaaa !!!

From the NWS Forecast Office, SLC:

....WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH NOON FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONTINUED THE WINTER STORM WARNING
FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST IDAHO THROUGH
NOON ON FRIDAY. ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH FRIDAY NOON ARE EXPECTED TO
RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 AND A HALF FEET. AREAS FAVORED BY SOUTHWEST FLOW
WILL RECEIVE THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old February 26th 04, 07:08 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
...WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH NOON FRIDAY...

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the driveway.

-klaus

Old February 26th 04, 07:57 PM
AstroPax

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:44 CST, klaus wrote:

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the driveway.

Sounds great!

Can you post a depth/accumulation report, about every 15 minutes, or
so...for the next 24 hours?

-Astro

Old February 26th 04, 08:59 PM
MattB

AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:44 CST, klaus wrote:

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the
driveway.

Sounds great!

Can you post a depth/accumulation report, about every 15 minutes, or
so...for the next 24 hours?

-Astro

They say it's headed this way too. Just in time for the weekend!

Matt (weekend warrior these days)

Old February 26th 04, 09:29 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-26, MattB penned:
AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:44 CST, klaus wrote:

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the
driveway.

Sounds great!

Can you post a depth/accumulation report, about every 15 minutes, or
so...for the next 24 hours?

-Astro

They say it's headed this way too. Just in time for the weekend!

Matt (weekend warrior these days)

Oh?

We have an overnight in Silverthorne planned. Spend Saturday at
A-Basin, then Sunday at Beaver Creek (never been).

--
monique

Old February 26th 04, 09:39 PM
klaus

AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:08:44 CST, klaus wrote:

It's coming down hard. 2"/hr. I already have at least 8" on the driveway.

Sounds great!

Can you post a depth/accumulation report, about every 15 minutes, or
so...for the next 24 hours?

Uhhhhh. No.

I just got back from a walk up SF and it's collapsing and cracking. I
wouldn't worry about how much it snows unless you come up
tonight. Otherwise, I'd suspect you'll be able to sleep in tomorrow
unless you like to sit in traffic. They were bombing LCC/BCC ridge for
shock and awe at 2:00 pm. I don't think they'll keep that up overnight
once they get the valley dwellers down.

Did I mention that it's still coming down at 2"/hr and now I have
about a foot?

-klaus

Old February 26th 04, 11:32 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:
Nuking in Park ****ty too. About 8" on the ground in town of the wettest,
heaviest stuff I've seen all year. 'Heard the upper lifts at Deer Valet are
closed and they've had a foot and a half just this morning. That SW flow is
nailing us. We need the backside of the storm and some lake effect to put a
nice coating of fluff down.

It's not bad here. I'd guess 10% getting lighter with every inch. The
new is bonding to the old well, but the old is a sensitive crust
sitting on crap.

I feel it coming on, it will probably hit tomorrow...slope flu.

I'd think...

Look what just came over the NWS:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONVERTED THE WINTER STORM WARNING
FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST IDAHO TO A
HEAVY SNOW WARNING. THE WARNING HAS ALSO BEEN EXTENDED THROUGH 5 PM
FRIDAY AFTERNOON. ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON ARE EXPECTED
TO RANGE FROM 12 TO 24 INCHES IN MOST AREAS WITH OVER 30 INCHES IN
HIGH ELEVATIONS AND AREAS FAVORED BY SOUTHWEST FLOW.

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTO THIS
EVENING THEN TURN SHOWERY FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT. THE
SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE EARLY FRIDAY THEN HEAVIER AND MORE
WIDESPREAD SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN THE AFTERNOON. THE
HEAVIER SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FRIDAY NIGHT AND MUCH OF
SATURDAY AND THIS WARNING WILL LIKELY BE EXTENDED.

So basically two feet by noon tomorrow.. and then it's supposed to start
snowing heavily. Hehehehehe.

But we still can't get good beer.

-klaus

Old February 27th 04, 03:41 AM
lal_truckee

AstroPax wrote:
Bwaahaahaaaahaaa !!!

From the NWS Forecast Office, SLC:

...WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH NOON FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS CONTINUED THE WINTER STORM WARNING
FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST IDAHO THROUGH
NOON ON FRIDAY. ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH FRIDAY NOON ARE EXPECTED TO
RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 AND A HALF FEET. AREAS FAVORED BY SOUTHWEST FLOW
WILL RECEIVE THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

Could last you for awhile - it's still coming down here, and it's all on
it's way to you. Got about 35in of nice California 15% heavy here at the
cabin just in the last 36hr (deeper on the hill.)

Went out with the Avi Control crew at 6am today. Took about 40mins just
to dig the Summit chair out enough to start it up for the crew. Got to
throw a bomb - even got a slide going with my throw - small slide, but
fun to trigger that way instead of from inside.

Tomorrow's forecast is for clearing, which will make for good skiing.
And crowds.

Any Tahoe BC people should let this settle for a day or two - there's a
weak layer 35in+ deep in the pack, from the rain crust a couple of
weeks ago with some faceting just above it. But things are actually
sliding on a wind layer about 15in+ down. Just give it some time and
it'll be OK - why push it?

Dam! Something big just dumped on the cabin - loud, and the whole cabin
shuddered. Seems OK now. Had a good size tree fall on the little (guest)
cabin 5 years ago - bounced off the a-frame and only had to patch up the
torn metal roofing in a couple of spots. - this latter event isn't
anything like that. I hope.

Old February 27th 04, 07:07 AM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
Went out with the Avi Control crew at 6am today. Took about 40mins just
to dig the Summit chair out enough to start it up for the crew. Got to
throw a bomb - even got a slide going with my throw - small slide, but
fun to trigger that way instead of from inside.

That ROCKS.

We just had another death. Over by Deer Valley. This year, low
elevation. no gear, during the first day of the storm, seems to be the
fatal combination. Oh.. and backside. Resort day tomorrow.

Any Tahoe BC people should let this settle for a day or two - there's a
weak layer 35in+ deep in the pack, from the rain crust a couple of
weeks ago with some faceting just above it. But things are actually
sliding on a wind layer about 15in+ down. Just give it some time and
it'll be OK - why push it?

I would guess here it's starting at a layer from about 1 week ago and
stepping down. Running fast and far...

-klaus

Old February 27th 04, 02:53 PM
Charlie Crabb

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Bwaahaahaaaahaaa !!!

From the NWS Forecast Office, SLC:

...WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH NOON FRIDAY...

No warning. Three feet at Caples Lake. That's five on the 'wood.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/q...Feb-2004+21:13
It's coming your way. Enjoy more of it.