Noque results...

Old January 29th 05, 03:02 PM
32 degrees

Default Noque results...

post them here PLEASE ASAP, I'm dying to hear 'em.
Great conditions, 21 deg F @ start, solid track from what it looks like.
They won't have official results on website till LATE today.
JK

Old January 31st 05, 02:27 PM

Did you find the results page yet? It's at:
http://www.noquemanon.com/results_2002.php

It was a FAST Nokie this year! ---Half hour faster than last year. What
happened? Was it icy? A DP fest?

I see that some of our regulars did very well, too!

And Downstaters were nicely represented.

Ivan was smokin'. What's his story anyway? I don't recall his name
before this year. A recent immigre?

Great there's such a hot classic race out there.

Did they have that funk band from Chicago again at the bar after the
race?

Wish I coulda been there... JP

Old February 1st 05, 06:58 AM
Nathan Schultz

Noque Report:

Results are available at www.noquemanon.com

The conditions were pretty good for classic skiing, although a fine
layer of new snow made the classic tracks very slow, so we ended up having
to ski mostly out of the track all day. As usual, aside from the few short
hills, it was a double-pole fest.

In the men's race, three of us on the Subaru team broke away early with
a short effort and then cruised until 8km to go when it was every man for
himself. Babikov killed us on one of the last little hills and did not look
back. Once I realized that Babikov was gone and I had enough of a lead over
Eric Meyer, I cruised in, hoping to save some energy for the upcoming weeks
of marathons.

We had incredibly good skis, judging by the fact that we dropped
everyone pretty easily and managed to pile up a six-minute gap even though
we were just cruising. For glide we had Swix LF6 with Cera FC7 powder
ironed in, then corked. Kick wax was pretty simple - VR30 binder layer
ironed in, 2 layers of VR40, 3-4 layers of VR45.

The same thing happened in the women's race - Subaru skiers Abi Larson
and Kristina Strandberg skied off the front, although I think they skied
most of the race alone. Abi had quite a gap by the finish.

Babikov is a Russian who is trying to immigrate to Canada. He did not
come on the scene until this year because he spent last year in Canada and
previous years in Russia. He raced the following day in Telemark, WI at the
Supertour, winning the 15km Skate race there.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

Old February 1st 05, 09:23 PM
32 degrees

Interesting..... I know a guy in the pack behind you and he said they were
"in track" most of the race.
I wonder if they coulda been closer if they had skied out of track like
you....
just wondering.
JK

Missed the Noque and still depressed.

Noque Report:

Old February 1st 05, 11:20 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

Results are available at www.noquemanon.com

Now this is impressive... they included 1k and 3k races for kids!
Why don't more races do this? Sunday when we were heading out to
a local race here my not-quite-4-year-old daughter asked me if she
could race, too? A 1k race would have been a bit of a stretch for
her but she could probably pull it off if on reasonably flat ground.
Yeah, hook-em young!

We had incredibly good skis, judging by the fact that we dropped
everyone pretty easily and managed to pile up a six-minute gap even though
we were just cruising. For glide we had Swix LF6 with Cera FC7 powder
ironed in, then corked. Kick wax was pretty simple - VR30 binder layer
ironed in, 2 layers of VR40, 3-4 layers of VR45.

Ok I gotta ask about the FC7 ironed in, then corked. Is this iron,
brush, cork? Or really just iron, cork? Has corking replaced brushing
in the fluoro powders now? [Sorry, I've been out of the competition
loop for several years but am starting to dabble again and may have
the opportunity to use a powder this coming weekend.]

-Mitch

Old February 2nd 05, 04:55 AM
Nathan Schultz

Jeff:

It depends a lot on how many people skied in the track between when we
went by and when your buddy skied through. For us, there was no question.
Every few kilometers, one of us would test out the track hoping that
conditions had changed and that we could hop in, but it was very obviously
much slower in the track, even where there was no fresh snow in the track
itself.

But, if 5-10 people had skied on the track, it could have changed the
conditions completely and the track probably would have ended up faster.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

Old February 2nd 05, 04:58 AM
Nathan Schultz

Iron in the FC7, let it cool, cork it, polish it with the felt thingie,
then brush like hell with a stiff horsehair.

We've found that this method offers the best combination of durability
and speed. The ironing gives durability, and the corking seems to speed it
up quite a bit off the start.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

"Mitch Collinsworth" wrote in message
ornell.edu...

Old February 2nd 05, 01:20 PM

Yeah, conditions for the leaders are so much different than for the
pack. It's a surprise that awaits those who finally get good enough to
get out front. There's no one to follow, for one thing, but then the
snow is very different. It's untracked! : ) --JP