European WC meltdown ???

Old January 25th 05, 05:21 PM
delltodd

Jim wrote:
Unfortunatly this year may go down as one of those years where we

need
to suck it up and go back to the drawing board. I am certain there

are
many opinions to what we needto do differntly but I can say many

things
in our national ski programs need to change if we are going to expect
consistent top results.

Go. What things ? Please back up your smack & cite five concrete
examples. You know better than Coach Peter Vordenberg & his staff. They
would sincerely appreciate the dialogue.

Intensity blocks have been proven by the scandanavians if not others.

"Things changed" quite a bit from last year to this year when many of
the team athletes were succeptible to illness, and off season training
plans were adapted.

Were the team athletes @ US Nationals (such as Swenson & AJ) there to
peak for our nationals or were they there for physiological reasons for
later benefit (heavy duty training without taper) ?

Andrew Johnson had a successful USNationals.

Will your view be different if the team peaks and medals for Worlds, as
has been the plan for over a year ?

Old January 25th 05, 05:33 PM
Jim

I will be the first to congratulate the USST if they win medals at the
World Championships. It would be a peak of historic proportions to win
medals coming off early season Worl Cup races in the 40-45 and 60's
rank.

The USST at nationals were flat and tired. End of story

Old January 25th 05, 09:59 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

delltodd wrote:

Go. What things ? Please back up your smack & cite five concrete
examples. You know better than Coach Peter Vordenberg & his staff. They
would sincerely appreciate the dialogue.

I'm afraid you're confused, Dell. Pete is not the coach, but the
assistant coach; I also doubt that he has a staff (he is the staff). To
get a better handle on that relationship from more than just from a
nominal or hierarchical point of view, I suggest comparing what the
actual Coach, Trond Nystad, wrote about technique on the TeamToday site
with what Pete (and Andrew and others) have been espousing. As for
training, note that asst. coach Pete has acknowledged since arriving in
Europe this season that the world of training relative to performance is
a whole lot more complex and less certain than he imagined. I wish them
all the best in races, yet have to wonder about reports like the one
just up after horribly blowing the wax in Pragelato, in which Pete talks
about how they all sat around, held hands (at least figuratively
speaking), laughed, and said they weren't mad at each other. This is
World Cup, which I take to mean World Class.

Gene
Old January 25th 05, 11:56 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 25 Jan 2005 09:20:58 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

I for one do not
believe it is developmentally sound to train so hard that performance
is eroded or comprimised for a whole year becuase of a new training
system.

Do you know that this is the case with the US team?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 26th 05, 12:16 AM
Jim

JT
One only needs to look at their performances this year in total to
conclude that their performance have erode from previous years. I am
sure the athletes themselves would even recognize this.

Old January 26th 05, 12:25 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 25 Jan 2005 16:16:16 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

JT
One only needs to look at their performances this year in total to
conclude that their performance have erode from previous years. I am
sure the athletes themselves would even recognize this.

I didn't realize the season was over. Sorry I missed that.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 26th 05, 12:51 AM

delltodd wrote:

Were the team athletes @ US Nationals (such as Swenson & AJ) there to
peak for our nationals or were they there for physiological reasons

for
later benefit (heavy duty training without taper) ?

Andrew Johnson had a successful USNationals.

Kris Freeman should be fine. We have to realize though that Carl
Swenson is getting older. I think he's 34 now. He's been at it a long
time and races mountain bikes in the summer. It probably takes him
longer to get into the ski swing than it used to. We had a great team
at the 2002 Olympics which included John Bauer and Pat Weaver at their
peaks. They've moved on now. Bauer has to be 36 and Weaver 34 or 35. A
J doing well at U S Nationals is great but that isn't like placing in
the top 20 on the World Cup. Another question is; How good can Rob
Whitney get? The guy has loads of talent but his commitment to his
education slowed his progress. In the same position, I would have
concentrated on college too... As for the women, Rebecca Dussault can
go farther up the WC results list. Wendy Wagner is probably as fast as
she's going to get. Young guns like Kikkan Randall, Lindsey Weier and
Lindsey Williams have tons of potential.
Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old January 26th 05, 01:03 AM
Jim

JT
Perhaps an understanding of international racing will help. I hope the
USST skiers are able to rebound for the worlds. However understanding
international competition leads me to beleive there chances are not all
that good. The world cup is not like racing on the local masters
circuit. To excel one must be in the very best shape and have the best
preparation. Any disruption of training, over training, or less than
optimal race performance can have a big impact that may not be
recoverable in a week or two or even a season.

This might sound harsh but it is the reality of high level performance.
If you question my assemement of the US Teams performance go to the
FIS site and look at indivual results over the past couple of season.
I am certain you will find virtually everyones FIS points have been
increasing over the past two years or more.

Old January 26th 05, 01:31 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 25 Jan 2005 17:03:36 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

JT
Perhaps an understanding of international racing will help. I hope the
USST skiers are able to rebound for the worlds. However understanding
international competition leads me to beleive there chances are not all
that good.

Jim, perhaps an understanding of logic will help. Words like "whole
year" are quite specific. I'm impressed that you are so knowledgeable
that you are certain about the outcomes of events that have not
happened yet.

The world cup is not like racing
on the local masters
circuit.

I forgot that. I've got a little 15K this week and thought it was
pretty much World Cup level, but thanks for setting me straight.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old January 26th 05, 02:05 AM
Jim

JT
Logic you say, how about accurate quotes . When you attribute a
statement to someone and place it is quotes it should be accurate.

This is what I said