Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings

Old December 3rd 03, 03:55 AM
toddjb

Default Forward Lean Question - w/ new Ride bindings

Just put new bindings on my board, Ride Flight Mig.
Can't seem to get my boot strapped in with my heel all the way
back when I set my forward lean.

The last bindings I used had a leverage style clip on the highback
that let me engage my forward lean after my foot was in the binding.
So, I could easily get my boot in the binding and all the way back
in the heel cup...then I could "engage" the forward lean which
would flex my ankle forward. Worked great and I'm used to a fair
amount of forward lean. the forward lean amount was fixed by an
adjustment, but would just be relaxed until you locked the clip
(the clip was similar to a hard boot buckle, if that helps explain it)

With the new bindings the forward lean is set before your boot is in
the binding. No other option. So, it seems that with an
aggressive forward lean, I can't put my boot in the binding and
get it all the way back in the heel cup.

The best I can do is to force bend my ankle when I slide my foot
back and then crank down the straps, but this is a pain and I can
only do it on one foot (tough once the other foot is strapped in).

Has anyone else noticed this problem and is there a workaround?

Or is there no problem and once my boots are broken in or the boots
have snow on them they will slide back in easier as I crank the
strap.

Thanks,
-todd
Old December 4th 03, 03:59 PM
Mike T

Or is there no problem and once my boots are broken in or the boots
have snow on them they will slide back in easier as I crank the
strap.

Is the real issue that your boots and your bindings don't "mesh"
particularly well regardless of forward lean? As an example, Salomon
boots and (older) Burton bindings don't mesh well... the boot heel is
bigger than the heel cup on the binding, and you really have to jam it
in there even with minimal forward lean.

If this is the case the problem may be self correction, at the expense
of a little wear on the boot. It's also possible that break-in will
help. How adjustable is the heel cup on your bindings? You might get
it to fit better by moving it a bit.

Have fun in Utah! Looks like there's a ton of snow.

Old December 7th 03, 09:13 PM
Chet Hayes

I have the exact same problem with my new Vans Contra boots and Drake
Limited Bindings, so I know what you're talking about. This is one of
those things that once you see it you wonder why all bindings aren't
made so that you can lock in the forward lean after your have them
strapped in. You would think companies like Drake and Ride would have
seen this long ago. The logical way to set forward lean is with some
type of lock-in clamp or ratchet that is done after the straps are
tight. I'm miffed that Drake could be this incompetent.

In my case, the boot goes all the way into the heel cup and fits
nicely with no lean. As soon as you set forward lean in, the top of
the back of the boot hits the top of the highback and then the boot
heel won't seat in the heelcup. I've tried leaning forward before I
tighten the bindings, but the boot bottom and binding surface have so
much friction, the boot goes down, but won't slide back into the
heelcup. The more forward lean, the bigger the gap in the heelcup, so
the boot just winds up forward and you get very little, if any forward
lean.

The only thing I can think of is the Vans Contra is a fairly stiff
boot. The problem might be less with a more flexible boot. If
anyone has any additional thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old December 9th 03, 04:34 PM
toddjb

"Mike T" wrote in message ...

Is the real issue that your boots and your bindings don't "mesh"
particularly well regardless of forward lean? As an example, Salomon
boots and (older) Burton bindings don't mesh well... the boot heel is
bigger than the heel cup on the binding, and you really have to jam it
in there even with minimal forward lean.

Nope. In this case the 32 Lashed boot fits nicely into the Ride heel cup.

Have fun in Utah! Looks like there's a ton of snow.

Thanks, I had a blast. Except for the binding/boot annoyance, the trip
was great. Boarded in fresh falling powder all day at Snowbird on Sunday.
Amazing hitting the steeps of the Upper and Peruvian cirque with all that
fluff. But heck the wide open blacks and blues were a blast as well.

-todd
Old December 9th 03, 04:36 PM
Mike T

Thanks, I had a blast. Except for the binding/boot annoyance, the
trip
was great. Boarded in fresh falling powder all day at Snowbird on

Sunday.
Amazing hitting the steeps of the Upper and Peruvian cirque with all

that
fluff. But heck the wide open blacks and blues were a blast as well.

I loved Snowbird. It's one of the few places where I'd leave all my
hardboot gear behind and ride only in softies!