Give $ to US Team?

Old April 22nd 04, 03:27 PM
Eric Shmo Chandler

Default Give $ to US Team?

I just got done reading an article on Fasterskier.com by Kris Freeman.
Got me thinking. So, my family gives to charity each year. I don't see
why we couldn't carve out a chunk to give to the US Nordic Team. I
notice there's quite a few professionals on this website. I think our
community (of Masters racers especially) could make quite a financial
help to the US Team. And without it being too painful for each of us.
Any thoughts?
Old April 22nd 04, 06:09 PM
Jeff Potter

Eric Shmo Chandler wrote:

I just got done reading an article on Fasterskier.com by Kris Freeman.
Got me thinking. So, my family gives to charity each year. I don't see
why we couldn't carve out a chunk to give to the US Nordic Team. I
notice there's quite a few professionals on this website. I think our
community (of Masters racers especially) could make quite a financial
help to the US Team. And without it being too painful for each of us.
Any thoughts?

US Pro Cycling only ever got off the ground because it found a couple
millionaire backers.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

Where would Lance be without Thom Weisel? Or even without Fred Mengoni of
a few years back? No Fred no Greg...and Greg leads to Lance.

Yes we do need some more fan support, but first we need ONE HEAVY HITTER.

I'm guessing our only hope will be found in Minneapolis. It's the only
place where a money-ski-buff could be found. Or just maybe SF, like
Weisel---they have Royal Gorge that some fancy lads might commute to.

Didn't Mengoni own a line of bike shops?

Who's has the biggest pocket in US skiing? This could be determined. Then
someone should just ask them if they'd like to get the US a Gold, or not.
Coz without someone like that, no chance.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old April 22nd 04, 10:45 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:09:11 -0400, Jeff Potter
wrote:

Didn't Mengoni own a line of bike shops?

No,

JT
Old April 23rd 04, 12:21 AM
Jay Tegeder

Don't throw your money away just yet... In the past, any money sent to
the USSA/USST for the Nordic Team was simply put into the General
Fund. That money then went to the Alpine Team. I'd suggest
investigating whether that situation has changed before sending any
money. I'd also suggset avoiding any foundations that donate to cross
country skiing. Some people make their living off those organizations.
The best way would be to set up some sort of Trust Fund administirred
by a board without any monetary compensation. I've thought about this
in the past, especially for our Midwest skiers.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old April 23rd 04, 12:32 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

http://www.fasterskier.com/opinion.php?id=1074

I'd also suggset avoiding any foundations that donate to cross
country skiing. Some people make their living off those organizations.

Are you saying that if giving $X to some foundation helps it raise
$3x, of which, say $2X goes to skiing, you shouldn't send money? Hmm.

JT
Old April 24th 04, 10:24 PM
AJ

There is finally a solution! Check out www.teamtoday.org. This is a
new project run exclusively by and for the athletes of the US
cross-country team. It is not associated with USSA or the USST, it's
just a bunch of athletes trying to help their cause. For more info on
the projects and goals of Team Today check out our web site, or
contact me at I'd love to answer any questions you
might have. Andrew Johnson

Old April 25th 04, 02:58 PM
Jay Tegeder

This is exactly the kind of thing we need. The only questions are
these. Does AJ really stand for Andrew Johnson or does it stand for AJ
Kitt. Also, the email is . Could that be Bode Miller?
In other words, is this a ploy to get more money, disguised as going
to the xc team, into the Alpine team? If this is really Andrew
Johnson, then Nathan Schultz has aome competition for the fastest
skier on the nordic skiing newsgroup... I'm going to make a donation
so I can get my name listed in the book!

Old April 28th 04, 12:00 PM
Roger Knight

This is exactly the kind of thing we need. The only questions are
these. Does AJ really stand for Andrew Johnson or does it stand for AJ
Kitt. Also, the email is . Could that be Bode Miller?

Jay...you are unbelievable with the trust thing! I can verify for you
that this is Andrew Johnson's email, and not Bode Miller's I have
both...trust me. Just check out their website that they have
started...this is a great idea and a way to make sure that the $$$ you
donate goes directly to the source, making it more value for the
dollar, while still giving you a tax write-off. This is something that
Andrew and some of the others on the team have worked very hard on,
and I personally cannot think of a more worthy cause to donate to in
sport anywhere. These guys and gals are trying to get it done, not 10
years from now, but in Torino in two years. The time is now, everyone
open up your checkbooks and make a donation if you care about skiing.
This is the best way for you to contribute to helping the athletes on
the US Ski Team take it to the next level...so instead of us all
sitting around talking about what we can do to help US XC Skiing let's
do the right thing now and make a donation. Here is that website again
in case you missed it.
http://www.teamtoday.org/torino.html
I'll end my little rant with this: If those of us who love this sport
cannot support it, than how can we expect anyone else to? Now is the
time to have a hand in shaping the future of US Nordic Skiing, so
let's all step up and do it so we can be proud when the US XC Ski Team
takes home multiple medals from Torino in 2006!

Roger Knight
Swix Sport USA

Old April 28th 04, 04:46 PM
Fitzgerald

Very convincing message from Roger.
I am sending a check today and putting R.S.N. in memo line.
Lee Fitzgerald

Old April 28th 04, 05:01 PM
Fitzgerald

Went to website and it looks like CC or paypal only.
Done.