Storage waxing without an iron

Old March 9th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Default Storage waxing without an iron

Is this possible?

We have what I consider to be a very successful youth program. We
get a fair number of kids whose parents don't ski. Some of them
live near me. In the fall I spend time working on other people's
skis.

If the parents ski it is only recreationally. They don't own
irons or any fixation device. In many cases neither parent has
ever applied a drop of wax of any kind to any ski. I don't see
that changing.

It would be very cool if someone would purchase an iron and a
waxing profile so that the kids could take that on. I don't see
that happening either, at least not anytime soon.

What I'm trying to avoid is the case where someone hands me a
pair of skis with white streaky bases for their kid that wants to
dip their toe into junior racing. I'm also trying to avoid the
case where I'm transporting and waxing a boat load of skis in the
spring followed by doing it all again with a scraper in the fall.

I've asked locally about the suitability for convenience paste
waxes for this. Hahahahaha, nope, is the answer I get. I've got
an iron so I've never tried it.

Is 'Hahahahahah' the final word on this? Is there something that
I can tell someone (or their kids) to smear on in the spring and
wipe off in the fall where they won't find oxidation underneath?

Bob Schwartz
Old March 10th 11, 03:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

Hi Bob,

Consider this http://www.silentsports.net/content/...ki-11-2010.php
I have used this crayon/heat gun method, that Lee recommends, this
season, and have found it to be quick, easy, and very economical.
Perhaps, perhaps, my skis need to be waxed a bit more often. But if
that is true, it is only by a small degree.
I would think that crayoning on some storage wax that is minimally
heated in with a gun would provide at least some, if not full, base
protection from oxidation.
Personally I think I will still melt in a full drip layer of storage
wax.
Old March 10th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I hadn't read the article but was thinking of the same thing, using a
hair dryer on top setting. Dr. D's waxes are all crayon type and a
150g bar of hydrocarbon wax (+/- 25F) is about $11. Plus, he (Mark) has
end of season sales and might even be willing to give a club discount.
https://secure.racewax.com/c=AbIraeQ...s=racewax.com/

Gene

Old March 10th 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 3/9/2011 10:52 PM, Gunde wrote:
Hi Bob,

Consider this http://www.silentsports.net/content/...ki-11-2010.php
I have used this crayon/heat gun method, that Lee recommends, this
season, and have found it to be quick, easy, and very economical.
Perhaps, perhaps, my skis need to be waxed a bit more often. But if
that is true, it is only by a small degree.
I would think that crayoning on some storage wax that is minimally
heated in with a gun would provide at least some, if not full, base
protection from oxidation.
Personally I think I will still melt in a full drip layer of storage
wax.

Thanks, but this still means I am maintaining skis for other people.

You know how every person that buys their first pair of waxless skis
thinks that they never have to wax them? Have you ever had to explain
that a waxable classic ski needs grip wax in order to work? That's
my target audience.

I am looking for a smear-this-on-in-the-spring-and-wipe-it-off-in-Dec
type solution. The technique that Borowski describes is interesting
and I'm going to save that away. But I don't think my target audience
is going to be receptive to it.

For day to day ski waxing I think I can convince the parents to pop
for convenience wax products. And my goal is to convince their kids
that this is a worthwhile thing for them to pay attention to. I can
easily run a lot of skis through a hot box so everyone will have
skis with saturated bases and I think they'll be fine with an
occasional paste or liquid application. I am hoping that saturating
bases will provide some level of protection against oxidation.

But I am also hoping that there is a tool free method that I can
instruct the parents (and their kids) in using before storage that
will get me out of the loop.

Bob Schwartz
Old March 10th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Might a soft paste wax applied thick work? Ask FastWax what they
think. It's probably just as important that they don't bind the skis
in storage. It sounds like you have down the hot wax procedure, leaving
scraping and brushing as the chore. That would make a good invitation
to parents to bring their skis for a pizza and scraping party.

Gene

Old March 15th 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mr Rideandglide

On Mar 9, 2:54*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
[...]

I'm going to have my casual skiers use Fastwax Pastewax (Slick Pro)
They already use it all season for wax prep without exotic tools and
I've gotten good reviews. Swab it on and let it sit. MAybe put two
layers on. Buff it off next Winter. The goal is to seal out air
and dirt and this should be adequate. If these are $125 skis not much
damage can be done to the bases by not hot waxing them