Going to Mt St Anne... want info!

Old February 7th 11, 05:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

Default Going to Mt St Anne... want info!

I am going with a group to XC ski at Mt. St. Anne in Quebec in a couple
weeks. Any helpful hints on what to expect?
How cold is it typically?
Do they have food at the warming huts?

Should we ski the whole week at Mt. St. Anne or look at other places?
What places are nearby?
Good?
Camp Mercier?

gr
Old February 11th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ro

Hi gr,
We haven't got relatively not much snow this winter season in the
Quebec region (only 18 cm of snow in January!). Nevertheless, the xc-
ski centres are doing miracles. Mt Ste-Anne is always great, among the
best places for skating and classic skiing. However, the entry is
quite expensive compared to other centres in the region (25$/pers.).
If you are fond on skating, may I suggest you a couple great
alternatives: Duchesnay, and Valcartier. For classic skiing in wild -
but well groomed - trials, I like very much Sentiers du Moulin, one of
the closest xc-ski centre of Quebec City. Of course, there are also
well-groomed trials right in Quebec City on the Plains of Abraham (~10
km) that are accessible absolutely free of charge. My best tracks to
train in the week evenings.
You can have an idea of all xc-ski centres by looking at the following
info: http://www.skidefondraquette.com/eng...phlet_1011.pdf.
Temperatures are ranging from -2 to -15 in the day, perfect for
skiing.

Enjoy,

Old February 12th 11, 05:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

On 2/11/2011 9:13 AM, Ro wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I was beginning to wonder if anyone was out there in Usenet
land. I am down here in Rochester,NY where we had great lake effect snow
(Ontario) for December and Jan, so have had lots of snow this year
(already within 8 inches of a full seasons average!).
I think almost all the group are classic skiers, so skating is not an
issue.
Any info about Camp Mercier? It looks interesting.
Any particularly neat adventures in the area I need to know about?
Something like last year at a trip to New Hampshire (Bretton Woods)where
they had a special lift ticket where you could ride up the down hill
lift one time then ski down a groomed 6km long mountain road (pretty
steep!).
Thanks,
GR
Old February 13th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ro

Any info about Camp Mercier? It looks interesting.
Camp Mercier is a place of choice for classic skiing. You may
encounter mooses, many bird species, even a lynx! However, it offers
only a few km for skating. Being located at higher altitude, the
weather may be more chilly than down in the St-Lawrence Valley. It all
depends on the weather, so you may choose where to go skiing according
to the snow conditions (at upper or lower altitude). Going 10 km
further north of Camp Mercier in the Laurentide Reserve, you will find
the Foret Montmorency ski centre (http://www.fm.ulaval.ca/PA/ski.asp).
The ski trials are also wonderful up there. And the accomodation is
great there (being at ~1h drive from Quebec City, it is nice to stay
there a couple of nights). Snowshoing is becoming very popular also.

Any particularly neat adventures in the area I need to know about?

No particular adventure at this time of the year in QC aside the usual
weekend loppets. One new venture comes up on March 26: the Sommet
AMSF: a ~620 m climb of Mt Ste-Anne in the free style. Kind of crazy
ride! "Only one hill" as some buddies say (http://
http://www.skidefondquebec.ca/nouvel...et_amsf.pdf ).

Old February 14th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

On 2/13/2011 8:34 AM, Ro wrote:
[...]

^Thanks very much for the info... Camp Mercier sounds great! Also good
to know the place to go if the lower altitudes have snow trouble (had
that problem last year in a new Hampshire trip!)
Gary
Old March 8th 11, 06:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default test