La Plagne, any thoughts ...?

Old June 21st 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Le Dieu

Default La Plagne, any thoughts ...?

...We're staying in the centre next March. Just wondered if anyone had any
tips/experiences?

TIA

Old June 21st 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:12:25 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

..We're staying in the centre next March. Just wondered if anyone had any
tips/experiences?

Sure, but you really need to be a bit more specific, otherwise all
you'll get will be the sort of thing you can read in the GSSG or
similar.

As a starter, here's part of a thread I saved from a couple of years
back :

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:56:13 GMT, Greg Hilton wrote:

looking likely the temps will dip and some snow may be around next week,
which is good news for my trip.

Any recommendations for good tree skiing in the La Plagne area? It's years
since I've been.

How about good off-piste spots?

I remember a good off-piste run down to Les Bauches, and looking at the map
I think there was some nice spaced out trees off to the right of Aime La
Plagne on the way back to Montalbert.

You're right on both counts.

Some of my favourite off-piste routes the week I was there last month:

To the right of the two black runs from Bellecote. Slight climb to a
little col, then a choice of routes down, including a bit of a
couloir, ending up at les Bauches.

From the bottom of the 'Chalet de Bellecote' chair down to les
Bauches. Nice open field leading to wide gully, leading to very narrow
gully/frozen waterfall. Not to be attempted late season, I imagine.

From top of Cretes drag lift (peak of le Biolley) there's a couloir
(name forgotten, sorry) I did with one of the other Ski Club leaders
on day 1 before the punters had arrived. Marvellous, it was, dropping
down above les Etroits black run and thence to the Coqs & Adrets
chairs.

I conspicuously failed to find the route for the above when I had a
group with me (vis. was v. poor), so instead took the black run round
the corner and traversed hard right under the cliffs, which lead to
some open steep slopes with a few trees for contrast.

Variations above and to the left of the Morbleu black in the same
area. Some tree-skiing there too.

Under the Adrets chair from le Fornelet. Nice open top section, with
any route you like through shrub and trees ending on the Grenouille
red run. Easy skiing, but different. The 12-y-olds with me had a great
time.

I'll add more if they occur to me.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old June 21st 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Le Dieu

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

From the bottom of the 'Chalet de Bellecote' chair down to les
Bauches. Nice open field leading to wide gully, leading to very narrow
gully/frozen waterfall. Not to be attempted late season, I imagine.

From top of Cretes drag lift (peak of le Biolley) there's a couloir
[...]

All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the
Ski Club.

Blimey, that was quick. I thought this place was dead till November.

We're staying in the Hotel Christina ( I think it's called) right on the
piste. One beginner, two pretty good 11, 12 year olds, and two
intermediates. Which ski school would you reccommend? Anything to do in the
evenings? Worth going over to Les Arc?

Why can't it snow all year round?

A. Dieu.

Old June 21st 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:21:11 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:12:25 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

..We're staying in the centre next March. Just wondered if anyone had any
tips/experiences?

Sure, but you really need to be a bit more specific, otherwise all
you'll get will be the sort of thing you can read in the GSSG or
similar.

snip

Blimey, that was quick. I thought this place was dead till November.

I still scan all my usual newsgroups, active or not.

We're staying in the Hotel Christina ( I think it's called) right on the
piste.

Mark Warner place? Never been, but ought to be OK.

One beginner, two pretty good 11, 12 year olds, and two
intermediates. Which ski school would you reccommend?

Oxygene (International Ski School) come highly recommended, although
I've no recent 1st hand experience of them.

Anything to do in the evenings?

We were runnning a kids/families holiday, so we arranged swimming,
ice-skating and bowling on various nights of the week.

Worth going over to Les Arc?

I'm not really sure, TBH. Skiing-wise, I think there's plenty in la
Plagne for a week, for all ability levels, but it may be a nice
day-trip to go over the big new lift over the valley.

Why can't it snow all year round?

Ahh. Got me there, I'm afraid. I did encounter snow last week, in the
Colarado rockies, but only a couple of boarders thought it worthwhile
to walk all the way up for the fairly patchy descents that were
available. This in a national park, mind, nit a proper ski resort.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

Any Positive Thoughts out there. Vincent Walker Alpine Skiing 12 September 5th 06 01:15 AM
My Thoughts CParker Alpine Skiing 10 March 2nd 06 11:55 PM
Cervinia - thoughts and opinions? davidfrench27 European Ski Resorts 3 October 24th 05 03:55 PM
Wachusett Mt - any thoughts on it? Davlo North American Ski Resorts 2 February 18th 05 08:27 PM
thoughts on pragelato course? jtorr Nordic Skiing 1 February 8th 05 08:48 PM