How busy is Alpe d'Huez in February?

Old May 31st 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Clive Backham

Default How busy is Alpe d'Huez in February?

Due to having children at school, we must take our main ski holiday at
half-term. So we aim to find resorts that are not going to be too
busy. We drive there, and stay in apartments.

This year we skied in Alpe d'Huez at Easter, and the crowds were not
too bad. The ski area was pretty enjoyable (much better than I
remember from the last time I was there, in 1995). Can anyone advise
how crowded it gets during the February half-term week? As a point of
comparison, I consider Flaine to be fairly uncrowded (except this
year, when due to lack of snow everyone from Samoens/Les Carroz/
Morillon descended on the place!).

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

Old May 31st 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 31 May 2007 02:08:24 -0700, Clive Backham
wrote:

This year we skied in Alpe d'Huez at Easter, and the crowds were not
too bad. The ski area was pretty enjoyable (much better than I
remember from the last time I was there, in 1995). Can anyone advise
how crowded it gets during the February half-term week?

I repped there in March last season, but sadly can't remember whether
it was UK half-term or not. Maybe you could remember, I was there for
three weeks from March 6th.

In any event, the crowds were not at all bad at that time, and the
snow was plentiful, and the sun was shining (well, for some of the
time). You don't specify whether you're concerned about lift queues (
5 mins max, on any lift, when I was there) or corwded pistes. The
latter, of course, will very much depend on where you want to ski, but
there are so many pistes, even in the main resort area, that
overcrowding is rarely a problem.

As a point of
comparison, I consider Flaine to be fairly uncrowded

As it happens, I've spent a _lot_ of time, in Flaine, in holiday
periods and outside them. L'A d'H would certainly have more people per
km of piste at busy periods, especially at weekends due to its
proximity to Grenoble, but the lift system is such that it can cope
with them, so queing is not much more of an issue than it is in the
Grand Massif.

(except this
year, when due to lack of snow everyone from Samoens/Les Carroz/
Morillon descended on the place!).

Sorry, my fault. Due to injury I wasn't skiing much this season, and
what I did was all in Switzerland, so the French weather decided to
take a well-earned break.

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

Crikey, where to start? Well, I guess (from your previous choices)
that you probably want one of the normal brit-friendly resorts; the
first one that springs to my mind is Val Thorens. Vast area, with the
whole of the 3Vs easily accessible, but doesn't suffer from the
overcrowding that affects the neighbouring resorts. Very high at
2200m, and almost barren, but some great skiing, and loads of
apartments. Closer to drive to than A d'H, although further than
Flaine.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old May 31st 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Clive Backham

Ace, thanks for the info:

On 31 May, 10:37, Ace wrote:
I repped there in March last season, but sadly can't remember whether
it was UK half-term or not. Maybe you could remember, I was there for
three weeks from March 6th.

Half-term is in the middle of February. I'm happy to ski pretty much
anywhere in March, but in Feb we have the French holidays as well as
the British half-term to contend with.

You don't specify whether you're concerned about lift queues (
5 mins max, on any lift, when I was there) or corwded pistes.

It's lift queues that irritate me the most. Crowded pistes can usually
be bypassed off to the sides.

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

Crikey, where to start? Well, I guess (from your previous choices)
that you probably want one of the normal brit-friendly resorts; the
first one that springs to my mind is Val Thorens. Vast area, with the
whole of the 3Vs easily accessible, but doesn't suffer from the
overcrowding that affects the neighbouring resorts.

Call me weird, but I've never been taken by the 3 Valleys. With the
exception of Courcheval, it seems a bit bleak to me (Val T especially
so).

Closer to drive to than A d'H, although further than Flaine.

I thought the route to Alpe d'Huez was pretty straightforward. It took
about 1 hour longer than driving to Flaine. Getting to places like 3V,
Espace Killy and La Plagne looks much more involved and vulnerable to
holdups.

We might even think about La Thuile, which we know is uncrowded. We've
driven to Chamonix before and it was OK - any idea how much longer it
takes to get from Chamonix to La Thuile via the MB tunnel?

Old May 31st 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 31 May 2007 09:48:03 -0700, Clive Backham
wrote:

Ace, thanks for the info:

On 31 May, 10:37, Ace wrote:

Closer to drive to than A d'H, although further than Flaine.

I thought the route to Alpe d'Huez was pretty straightforward. It took
about 1 hour longer than driving to Flaine. Getting to places like 3V,
Espace Killy and La Plagne looks much more involved and vulnerable to
holdups.

Not IME. I've always preferred the Eastern route, heading off (A39?)
from around Dole and joining the A40 towards Geneva, then leaving that
and dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. Then Annecy-Albertville,
thence Moutiers etc.

Regardless of route, IME Alpe d'Huez would take much more than an hour
more than Flaine, so I'd reckon that VT would be Flaine+1, Alpe d'Huez
Flaine +2.

We might even think about La Thuile, which we know is uncrowded. We've
driven to Chamonix before and it was OK - any idea how much longer it
takes to get from Chamonix to La Thuile via the MB tunnel?

Less than an hour, I'd have thought, although I've never done it.
Skiied the area a few times from La Rosiere, but it's not high on my
list of fave places due to relativelty limited quantity and quality of
skiing. And it can be a bit of a minefield skiing back down to La
Thuile in busy periods, as there's only really one run home, which can
get very worn.

If you're looking at smaller places, though, I can thoroughly
recommend le Praz de Lys, which is a charming little village and ski
area with relatively few people. Some pretty decent skiing if the
snow's good (never been when it wasn't, so can't really comment) and
hardly anyone skiing off-piste. Which leaves more for me :-) Also
probably the best ski area I know (in France) for non-skiers, with
loads of walking, sledging and snowshoe trails.

It's located between Taninges and Les Gets, so easy enough to get to.
One can also access it from Sommand, on the west of Taninges, so even
closer, but I don't know what sort of accomodation there is there.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old June 1st 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On May 31, 10:08 am, Clive Backham wrote:
Due to having children at school, we must take our main ski holiday at
half-term. So we aim to find resorts that are not going to be too
busy. We drive there, and stay in apartments.

This year we skied in Alpe d'Huez at Easter, and the crowds were not
too bad. The ski area was pretty enjoyable (much better than I
remember from the last time I was there, in 1995). Can anyone advise
how crowded it gets during the February half-term week? As a point of
comparison, I consider Flaine to be fairly uncrowded (except this
year, when due to lack of snow everyone from Samoens/Les Carroz/
Morillon descended on the place!).

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

Alpe d'Huez will be very busy during the second UK half term week of
16/02 (two French areas including Lyon and Marseille overlapping) but
not as much for 09/02 (only Marseille). If you still want to ski Alpe
d'Huez but don't want a busy resort Vaujany is great as there isn't
much accommodation capacity but massive lift capacity from the village
so there is virtually never any queuing from there. It's also a nice
pretty village. See http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.70.
Vaujany gets booked-up VERY quickly though for busy dates. Equally Oz-
en-Oisans is a great family resort also on the same ski area. Again
nothing as busy as Alpe d'Huez and nice family feel to it. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.296.

Otherwise closer from the UK have a look at Les Saisies which offers
everything you are looking for and is not well known in the UK. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.155

PS. to be honest there is always snow everywhere (except one or two
places in the Jura or Massif Central maybe) in February. Otherwise the
resorts may just well sell their lifts and build snowdomes instead!
Morillon, Samoens and Les Carroz are great in my view for what you are
looking for but then you may say I am biased. See
http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.47

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Old June 1st 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Clive Backham

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
It's certainly given me some more options to consider.

wrote:
I thought the route to Alpe d'Huez was pretty straightforward. It took
about 1 hour longer than driving to Flaine. Getting to places like 3V,
Espace Killy and La Plagne looks much more involved and vulnerable to
holdups.

Not IME. I've always preferred the Eastern route, heading off (A39?)
from around Dole and joining the A40 towards Geneva, then leaving that
and dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. Then Annecy-Albertville,
thence Moutiers etc.

I take it that the N508 (Frangy-Albertville) is an OK road, then?
And is Moutiers no longer the massive bottle-neck it used to be? (I
vividly recall a terrible 7 hour transfer from Lyon to Tignes a few
years back, but I think that was before the road into Moutiers was
dualled).

But it's all a bit academic. I'd imagine that Val d'Isere/Tignes, La
Plagne, Courcheval and Meribel will be heaving at half-term, and I
just don't like Val Thorens (which you suggested earlier).

Regardless of route, IME Alpe d'Huez would take much more than an hour
more than Flaine, so I'd reckon that VT would be Flaine+1, Alpe d'Huez
Flaine +2.

This easter, we did Watford-Alpe d'Huez in 13 hours door-to-door. The
best we've ever managed for Flaine is 11 hours, usually it's 12. I
think the A40 often causes hold-ups, and the route to Alpe d'Huez
avoids it. Maybe we were just lucky this year to get a clear run.

Old June 1st 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Clive Backham wrote:
Due to having children at school, we must take our main ski holiday at
half-term. So we aim to find resorts that are not going to be too
busy. We drive there, and stay in apartments.

This year we skied in Alpe d'Huez at Easter, and the crowds were not
too bad. The ski area was pretty enjoyable (much better than I
remember from the last time I was there, in 1995). Can anyone advise
how crowded it gets during the February half-term week? As a point of
comparison, I consider Flaine to be fairly uncrowded (except this
year, when due to lack of snow everyone from Samoens/Les Carroz/
Morillon descended on the place!).

Any other ski resorts within driving distance of the UK that are (i)
uncrowded, (ii) reasonably snow-sure, (iii) have apartments
conveniently located for the slopes?

You may also want to consider the western Swiss resorts. IIRC Verbier is
a shorter and probably quicker journey than Alpe d'Huez. Since I have
never skied in Feb. I cannot comment upon the crowds. However, the lift
systems in places like Verbier and Zermatt feel antiquated compared to
the French ones and you do spend a lot of time waiting for telephriques.

BTW have you noticed how noticed how early Easter is next year. It may
be the earliest Easter for 50 years!

John
Old June 1st 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 31 May, 18:15, Ace wrote:

I've always preferred the Eastern route, heading off (A39?)
from around Dole and joining the A40 towards Geneva, then leaving that
and dropping down to Annecy via Frangy. Then Annecy-Albertville,
thence Moutiers etc.

I take it that the N508 (Frangy-Albertville) is an OK road, then?

It's not bad, although if you're driving at peak times the road from
Annecy to Albertville will be very slow, with just the last few miles
a dual carriageway. I guess in recent years we've just made sure we're
not doing it during the middle of a Saturday in the French holidays...

And is Moutiers no longer the massive bottle-neck it used to be? (I
vividly recall a terrible 7 hour transfer from Lyon to Tignes a few
years back, but I think that was before the road into Moutiers was
dualled).

Again, it;s a question of choosing your time. Weh we were driving from
the UK we'd developed the pattern of leaving London on a Friday
afternoon and then driving as far into France as we could get before
neither of us could safely drive. Then we'd grab 2-3 hours of kip in
the car at a service station, then carry on and get to our destination
in time for breakfast. I realise that this may not suit, but it's what
my routings and timings were based on.

In the last few years we're only a couple of hours from Geneva, so
such issues are much more easily resolved.

But it's all a bit academic. I'd imagine that Val d'Isere/Tignes, La
Plagne, Courcheval and Meribel will be heaving at half-term,

Yupp.

and I just don't like Val Thorens (which you suggested earlier).

Your choice, I suppose.

Regardless of route, IME Alpe d'Huez would take much more than an hour
more than Flaine, so I'd reckon that VT would be Flaine+1, Alpe d'Huez
Flaine +2.

This easter, we did Watford-Alpe d'Huez in 13 hours door-to-door. The
best we've ever managed for Flaine is 11 hours, usually it's 12. I
think the A40 often causes hold-ups, and the route to Alpe d'Huez
avoids it. Maybe we were just lucky this year to get a clear run.

I think you probably did. My best time was solo, from MK to Tignes le
lac, at about 12 hours door-to-door. This was during the day, a couple
of weeks before xmas, so the traffic wasn't too bad, but the weather
was attrocious, and I reckon I'd have been up to an hour earlier
without the torrential rain, then snow.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old June 1st 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:03:43 +0100, john elgy
wrote:

BTW have you noticed how noticed how early Easter is next year. It may
be the earliest Easter for 50 years!

Humph. Global warming for sure.

--
-Pip
Old June 2nd 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Jun 1, 10:54 am, Clive Backham wrote:

This easter, we did Watford-Alpe d'Huez in 13 hours door-to-door. The
best we've ever managed for Flaine is 11 hours, usually it's 12. I
think the A40 often causes hold-ups, and the route to Alpe d'Huez
avoids it. Maybe we were just lucky this year to get a clear run.

Driving to the French alps
My suggestion for busy dates like half-term is to take a ferry or
Eurotunnel on Friday afternoon. Drive during early part of the night
(kids will be asleep at the back which is always easier) to about an
hour from resort and then stop at a cheapo hotel (would not advise
Formule 1 but anything above is ok ie. Premiere Classe or similar -
you obviously need to book in advance and plan your itinerary). Next
day you can be in resort for 10-11 am without getting-up too early. At
that time there is generally not too much traffic up to resort and ski
hire shop, ski school and lift pass office won't have queues that you
get from 4-5pm. Generally you won't be able to get into your apartment
that early but if you can park the car somewhere safe you can then
enjoy a bit of skiing on empty slopes (Sat is the quietest day of the
week), a nice lunch at a mountain restaurant (without crowds) and then
check-in at your apartment for 4-5 pm. If it's sunny enough on the
slopes you won't feel the tiredness of the journey until in the
evening.
Same for return on next Sat - check out, pack car, ski and leave
resort in evening, hotel and then ferry or Eurotunnel before 4pm on
Sun. If you all decide to give it 100% on the slopes for your last day
it may be a bit sweatysmelly in the car for first part of the journey
but hey you will have skied 8 days instead of 6 for all those buggers
still queuing at airport security for their 4 hour late charter...