Global warming & the Alps....

Old December 14th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Betty Swollocks

Default Global warming & the Alps....

A lot about this in the media lately.

And today this...

OECD warns on Alpine ski future

Thing is though, last year we were in Kitzbuel late in the season and were
told by locals that they hadn't had as much snow for 40 years.

So what's really happening?

Old December 14th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Betty Swollocks wrote:

A lot about this in the media lately.

And today this...

OECD warns on Alpine ski future

Thing is though, last year we were in Kitzbuel late in the season and were
told by locals that they hadn't had as much snow for 40 years.

So what's really happening?

There's no (serious) denying global warming, and it's bound to have an
effect, starting with the lower resorts. But for sure last season in
France seemed to be skewed with the serious snow arriving in February
and hanging around until May in some parts.

Maybe they should move Christmas to January just to be sure?

Matt

Old December 14th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Me

"Betty Swollocks" wrote in message
A lot about this in the media lately.

And today this...

OECD warns on Alpine ski future

Thing is though, last year we were in Kitzbuel late in the season and were
told by locals that they hadn't had as much snow for 40 years.

So what's really happening?

Don't know about weather too much but it was bloody freezing in Tignes last
week

Old December 14th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

For sure the last few years seem to have had poor snowfalls at the
start of winter. This autum/winter there seems to have been a very
variable climate at least in the French alps, cycling between very mild
temperatures with rain to the very low temperatures with snowfall.
I would take the fact that many of the glaciers are melting as proof
that things are hotting up, but whether this can be attributed to
'global warming' caused by C02 emissions I am not sure.

Old December 14th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

Betty Swollocks wrote:

A lot about this in the media lately.

And today this...

OECD warns on Alpine ski future

Thing is though, last year we were in Kitzbuel late in the season and were
told by locals that they hadn't had as much snow for 40 years.

So what's really happening?

Well, the glaciers are definitely shrinking, But then they've been doing
that for 10,000 years.....

--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 Z650
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old January 20th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
funkraum

"Betty Swollocks" wrote:

A lot about this in the media lately.

And today this...

OECD warns on Alpine ski future

Thing is though, last year we were in Kitzbuel late in the season and were
told by locals that they hadn't had as much snow for 40 years.

So what's really happening?

First of all - we need to get with the program. It's now 'Global
Warming' any more, it is 'Climate Change'. 'Global Warming' will
become increasingly difficult to sell as various places record record
lows, or record snowfall, or some glaciers increase in size while
others become smaller. Hence, the need to re-brand to 'climate
change'.

Even man in the street will get confused if he is told about global
warming and then finds Bavarian lakes frozen up like last season.

"What's really happening" is nothing. That's because the climate of
the planet has never done anything but change

What's really happening with 'climate change' Millenarianism is this:

http://www.businessandmedia.org/spec...fireandice.asp

The global warming/cooling model oscillates on a thirty year cycle
with the global warming model, just as the global cooling fad of the
early Seventies gave way to the global warming fad of the Nineties.

The difference post 1990 is political. With the destruction of
institutional Communism, Marxist-Leninists have been left without a
constituency. Prior to this, the basis of Marxist-Leninism was the
advancement of the proletariat: Marxist-Leninists were 'protecting
innocents': The workers, the proletariat. And this is what they
claimed gave them the moral high ground. With the end of institutional
Communism, the proletariat blew a huge raspberry at Marxist-Leninism
as the proletariat wanted two cars, electronic home entertainment
devices, white goods and two vacations per year.

This left only Marxist-Leninist theorists in both former Soviet Union
and the West. These people who populate mainly academic institutions
and hide in large (usually state) organizations have to drop the "we
protect innocents and advance the proletariat" rhetoric as even the
proletariat hold them in contempt. Now the only thing left is the
naked self-interest of the left: They hate the fact that others have
money (a proxy for power) and control. They'd much rather than no-one
had it, then they would not feel so bad about being washed-up losers.

Hence, the intellectual left, the remaining Marxist-Leninists have to
come up with a new set of innocents to champion, in order to have
something to cloth their naked self-interest with. The proletariat
have gone and are not coming back. Roll-on 'the environment'. The
great thing about the environment is that it cannot turn around and
tell them what a bunch of losers they are. Other useful attributes are
that nearly every human activity alters the environment in some way
and so they can look around for activities being performed by the
class enemy - capitalists - and these activities can be classed as
environment-destroying, and therefore evil: Politically Incorrect - in
the old Communist party sense, not the modern euphemism.

The great thing about this game is that capitalist economies burn oil
and so Marxist-Leninists can attack big-oil as an industry (and a
proxy for capitalism) without fearing being branded as
Marxist-Leninist in that they appear clothed in the mantle of
'environmentalists'.

Witness the Greenpeace campaign against oil-drilling which was swiftly
dropped by Greenpeace when they realized that the general public
thought they were lunatics.

Environmental destruction by cheese-cloth and straw-hat clad peasants
does not count as environmental destruction as the poor noble peasants
are 'victims' (of capitalism) in the demonology of (Eco-)Marxism. By
definition, only capitalists or capitalist countries can be
environmentally destructive.

I can remember a conversation with a mountaineer: He complained that
helicopter noise pollution frequently destroyed the peace of his quiet
treks through the mountains. How dare these helicopter pilots and
their students contaminate the pristine wilderness that he, an
Eco-Marxist had the right to expect. Of course I replied that as a
helicopter pilot I frequently had to witness pollution of the pristine
wilderness I had the right to expect because it was interrupted by the
visual pollution of persons dressed with revolting day-glo outfits who
clearly had no dress-sense whatsoever and were frightening off the
wildlife which I had the right to see at its ease, grazing in this
wilderness. Note how in the demonology of Eco-Marxism it was
capitalists that were the environment destroyers, not the proletariat.

Riding a long in a couple of 16 tonne Soviet army trucks stacked with
food and equipment on the way to the base camp, we are passed by some
off-road RVs. Of course, the off-road RVs are evil because they are
owned by capitalists and are destroying the environment whereas
mountaineers smashing up the roads with 6x6 are blameless because they
are Eco-Marxists and 'environmentally aware'.

Just like the original Marxist-Leninists, the most dangerous element
of Eco-Marxism is not the theorists and revolutionaries, but the great
mass of befuddled ordinary people who thought that Marxism would be
"something for nothing" . This time they think that environmentalist
Eco-Marxism' will be "something for nothing" but are blind to the real
agenda of the Eco-Marxists, which is, of course, that of all real
Marxists: Self-interest: They must stop the capitalists creating money
(a proxy for power) because then they will end up a bunch of losers in
a winner's world, with even the ordinary members of the proletariat
looking down on them.

Slaughtering the class-enemies, the kulaks, as a way of destroying
capitalists and their capital was fun but Eco-Marxism promises to be
even better than that. The interests of the 'environment' are held in
value above even the law, and can be used to trump any suite. Any tax
on any group of individuals can be justified by claiming it is for
self-less protection of the 'environment'. No: Not, you understand, to
help assuage the desperate social psycho-pathogens of the intellectual
left, but to protect soft fluffy birds and animals from harm by the
evil capitalists. Gads they're so evil these capitalists !

If you would like to keep up with how to shoot-down each release of
'climate change' silliness, then the rebuff can be read at

www.junkscience.com

If I were an investor then I would be shorting the stock of
'Global Warming' Inc , ooops I mean 'Climate Change', Inc, to the
point where I had to purchase every share they ever issued to cover my
position. George Soros's famous punt against Sterling would be a
hand-grenade against Big-Bang compared to the fortune I will make when
the auditors finally knock on the door of 'Climate Change' Inc.

Given it's universal appeal, it should easily make it to the top slot
of biggest confidence scam in history.

- funkraum

"Eco-Marxists: The only good one is a recycled one."

Old February 25th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
funkraum

Well, Ace. Since the Eco-whackos refuse to come out and face the
inevitable spanking from the literary wet towel of the funkraum, I
will say just that while you were lying in hospital, we made sure
that your carbon footprint was being maintained. Mainly by thrashing
powerful cars out in a big loop from the Italian Riviera and North
through enemy territory for a couple of hours, back through Torino.

Did this in a '69 Dodge Hemi Charger the first time but went through a
set of back tires and did not do the car much good, either.

Old February 25th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:09:41 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Well, Ace. Since the Eco-whackos refuse to come out and face the
inevitable spanking from the literary wet towel of the funkraum,

They have been a bit quiet, haven't they?

I will say just that while you were lying in hospital, we made sure
that your carbon footprint was being maintained.

Excellent.

Mainly by thrashing
powerful cars out in a big loop from the Italian Riviera and North
through enemy territory for a couple of hours, back through Torino.

Cool. Some alpine passes included?

Did this in a '69 Dodge Hemi Charger the first time but went through a
set of back tires and did not do the car much good, either.

Heh. Is that a big block V8 motor, by any chance?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old May 20th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
funkraum[_2_]

wrote:

Well, Ace. Since the Eco-whackos refuse to come out and face the
inevitable spanking from the literary wet towel of the funkraum,

They have been a bit quiet, haven't they?

Let us see if this will flush them out:

I will say just that while you were lying in hospital, we made sure
that your carbon footprint was being maintained.

Excellent.

Mainly by thrashing
powerful cars out in a big loop from the Italian Riviera and North
through enemy territory for a couple of hours, back through Torino.

Cool. Some alpine passes included?

Naturally. Plenty of low gears and hard acceleration to blow the
carbon out.

Did this in a '69 Dodge Hemi Charger the first time but went through a
set of back tires and did not do the car much good, either.

Heh. Is that a big block V8 motor, by any chance?

That's "big" with a capital "B" - when you are carbon footprinting for
two, don't take any chances.