Skating and bonking

Old February 19th 04, 10:49 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Skating and bonking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:51:51 -0500, "Eddy Rapid"
wrote:
As you've probably seen
from some of the foregoing "discussion", the Quaker bars, like most
commercial candy bars and cookies, contain some hydrogenated fats which some
recent research says are best avoided. I eat less than 20 of these bars per
season which for me is not enough to worry about given that most snacks on
the supermarket shelves have had hydrogenated fats for decades. Obviously
other people's concerns may differ.

As I mentioned, there is at least one flavor of Entenmann's cereal
bars (chocolate) that has fat, carbs and protein but no hydrogenated
oils. It is widely available. They do not freeze.

There are many regular chocalate candy bars have no hydrogentated oils
either.

Take a few minutes to read the labels.

JT
Old February 19th 04, 12:36 PM
Ken Roberts

Default herringbone skate (was Skating and bonking)

If Brian at his level still has a use for herringbone skate, I better start
practicing it and make it a live option in my technique arsenal again.

Simplicity is one key advantage of herringbone skate over V1, seems to me:
Simpler coordination to learn -- closest thing to "walking". Simpler to
feel how how the arms help the legs to climb hills. Simpler to _maintain_
effective coordination when very fatigued.

Brian May wrote
it is most definitely slower than V1.

It's interesting to think about why, since they both use a similar set of
muscles, but with different timing.

levi wrote
The big "advantage" of the herringbone skate is that it uses
big muscles, including the ones that rotate your torso that
are not really employed in any of the other techniques.

I think it's right to identify torso rotation as a helpful driver of
Herringbone-skate.

But torso rotation muscles are also used big-time in V1 -- at least the way
Carl Swenson and the World Cup winners execute it. Actually I think the
non-poling recovery side of elite-style V1 makes _more_ effective use of
torso rotation power than is possible with Herringbone-skate. (but that
does not mean that the rest of us are achieving that level of coordination)

Elite-style V1 also uses a semi-vertical untwisting of the shoulders to help
drive the hang-side pole-push. But couldn't Herringbone-skate could use
those same shoulder-untwist muscles to drive _both_ pole-pushes (even though
I don't remember trying it that way myself)? Sounds like a plus for
H-skate.

Tricky comparison -- needs more ideas.
Here's my current attempt:
(a) V1 is more complicated to coordinate effectively.
(b) V1 can use torso rotation muscles more effectively.
(c) V1 can easily transition to using more chest-crunch muscle to help the
pole-push -- in sections where the hill gets less steep.
(d) ? V1 makes more effective use of chest-crunch muscles even where the
hill is more steep?

(e) H-skate is simpler to coordinate effectively when tired.
(f) H-skate can use shoulder-untwist muscles more often.
(g) H-skate can easily transition to non-skate herringbone -- in sections
where the hill gets more steep, or where the skier in front forces it.
(h) H-skate direct pole-assist on both sides can be used to help prevent the
ski from stopping in some unexpected slow snow, and thus control a speed
slower than V1 could on it's non-poling recovery side.

I'm thinking that (b) + (c) explain why V1 is faster than H-skate; while (g)
+ (h) explain the niche for H-skate in some steep hill situations.

Ken

Old February 19th 04, 02:38 PM

Ok boys ... time to take a deep breath ... relax. Maybe go for a
nice long ski.

Brian

In article , John Forrest
Tomlinson wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:50:29 -0500, "Eddy Rapid"
If all food any with hydrogenated oil or transfats in any quantity was
dangerous then there would be many lawsuits, and the food and drug
administration in advanced countries would have any such foods banned by
now. While there is concern that trans fats are not good for you, it depends
entirely on how much you eat of them.

True enough about quantity, but if you can believe fat is useful while
exercising (which you do) why on earth would you eat a fat that is
dangerous in any quanity when you could easily eat a healthier fat?
Oh, yeah, you're lazy.

Old February 19th 04, 10:28 PM
Eddy Rapid

wrote in message
Ok boys ... time to take a deep breath ... relax. Maybe go for a
nice long ski.

Brian

Sage advice.

Parham.