Chamonix - end of season conditions?

Old April 16th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Default Chamonix - end of season conditions?

Off to Chamonix on friday for long w/e. How are the slopes at Grand Montet
holding up in the heat??

Thanks,
John

Old April 20th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
French_Skier

On Apr 16, 8:10 am, "JR" wrote:
Off to Chamonix on friday for long w/e. How are the slopes at Grand Montet
holding up in the heat??

Thanks,
John

John, do let us know how you get on. I am thinking of doing one last
trip there myself before they close in May. Could not do Pas de Chevre
last time I was there at that time of year as final bit back down to
Montenvers train was all mud. Would be very interested to hear if you
go up the Aiguille du Midi too as would probably do a bit of skins
from there in addition to Grands Montets. Xavier

Old April 25th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Hi,
Just got back last night. Had a great long w/e trip, but would not recommend
a visit now as the extremely hot weather has almost finished off all the
skiing. We arrived on friday at about 12:30 after an 8:00am flight from
Bristol. Headed straight up to La Tour as we were staying at the Bellevue in
Vallorcine and the new gondola is on the doorstep. La Tour was finished
really. The Belleplace was holding up the best, but by 3pm the bottom of the
Esserts chair lift was a lake, and you needed enough speed to water-ski it!

The temperature was a crazy 24 degrees, and 3 french guys decided to ski
under the autannes chair (ecurie I think) in just underpants! They screamed
the whole way down, more-so when one of them went a over t into slush!

La Tour closed for the season on sunday (22nd). Brevent also closed the same
day, but as slopes are south facing we did not even bother looking. Flegere
was supposedly holding up a little better, and the Index and Floria were
still skiing.

Grand Montet was by far the best, and we spent 4 mornings skiing 9 till 1pm
in clear blue sky. Temperature mid-morning at the Plan Joran was hitting 23
degrees! With clear skies, the pistes were initially frozen hard, but well
pisted courduroy. Over the weekend, quite a lot of the resort was open, but
on monday the plan roujon lift closed, the plan Joran restaurant closed, and
the La Herse lift closed (which was a big pity because the coombe?? red was
running very nicely the day before.

The Bochard bubble was giving the best sport, on both the red and the
Chamois black. The unpisted blacks off the top of the Lognan were very hard
work in the early morning, being big, hard frozen moguls all the way down.
It was a bit easier later on when they softened up but even so, 4 mornings
at GM really knackered my ski legs! I'm just not used to that degree of
muscle burn.

This was the first time for such a late trip, and was apprehensive as to
whether we would get to ski. It was a tremendous trip, considering the
heat-wave, and in normal conditions at this time of year I would thoroughly
recommend a visit. The nice thing about skiing when it was so warm is that
you can do some really nice walks in the afternoon. From Vallorcine, visit
the Cascade st Berard and up to the refuge if you've got good boots (was
still soggy snow in places).

Oh, and if you get a chance, nip down the MB tunnel to Courmeyer and visit
Filippo's (www.lamaison.com) for the best Italian food you've ever had! I
had to give up after 29 courses!!!

Only 9.5 months to the next trip :-(

John

"French_Skier" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 20th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
funkraum[_2_]

"JR" wrote:

Hi,
Just got back last night. Had a great long w/e trip, but would not recommend
a visit now as the extremely hot weather has almost finished off all the
skiing.

[...]

Just change continents. Skied Pikes Peak last week and the road was
still being dug out.