Best racing wood ski brands/models to look for?

Old March 11th 04, 03:13 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Best racing wood ski brands/models to look for?

A list, anyone?

--

Jeff Potter
****

... offering Vordenberg's XC ski tales in "Momentum"! ...
... "The Recumbent Bicycle": the only book about these bikes! ...
... Rudloe's "Potluck": true-life story of workingclass smuggling! ...

... with radical novels coming up via LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... music! ... articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW! 800-763-6923

Old March 12th 04, 03:12 PM
Leland Yee

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
.. .
A list, anyone?

--

Jeff Potter

I thought that I did a post on this topic, but I must have neglected to send
it.

A friend of mine went through several pairs of Jarvinens. With a balsa
core, they were fragile. He broke a number of them, usually while sprinting
to the finish. Good skis when intact, however--he loved them and had
numerous top 20 and some top 10 finishes in Colorado races in the '70s. I
had a pair of Rossignols which I bought for $9.95(!) at a spring sale. They
were not good skis--very soft, but they were light.

Try for the Jarvinens.

--
Leland Yee
Having fun (way) back in the pack.

Old March 15th 04, 09:07 AM
Anders Lustig

"Leland Yee" wrote in message ...

A friend of mine went through several pairs of Jarvinens. With a balsa
core, they were fragile. He broke a number of them, usually while sprinting
to the finish.

Wooden skis (with the exception of forest/touring skis)
were fragile, and storing them indoors made them even
more fragile. It was a common sight to see broken skis
fixed with a piece of sheet metal.

We had a large bunch of old racing skis of all sizes
still lying around when I was an adventurous young boy,
and since they were considered worthless, we broke,
smashed and splintered most of them in daring "Up that
hill and down! One, two, two-and-a-half, go!"-races...

Try for the Jarvinens.

Lampinen was probably ab even better brand. However, it
died a sudden death - at least as far as the all-important
juvenile customer market was concerned - when someone
somewhere began to call the skis "Lima-Lampinens", "lima"
being a graphic word for "slime".

There was nothing wrong with the skis, and the only thing
that could be the least bit "slimy" about them was the
yellow colow in the stencils (whereas Järvinen fetaured
a burgundy red). Anyway, the derogatory word spread like
like the rumour that a tooth will dissolve overnight in
a glass of Coke, the kids who had lampinens developed an
acute aversion to skiing and the rest were pleading "Daddy,
please, let´s buy Järvinens instead!":-)

(Anecdote told by my oldest borther, and corroborated by
several of his age-peers.)

Anders