Skiing and back problems

Old June 23rd 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default Skiing and back problems

Hi,

I recently developed what seems to be sciatica - a kind of pinched
nerve that causes tingling/numbness in the leg and foot. The onset
coincided with the couple of times I went for some uphill training
(skate rollerski). I'm now doing evaluation and physical therapy, but
the docs and therapists don't have any idea about the sport and its
possible effects on this condition. It would be great to see a doctor
(NJ, PA, NYC and thereabouts) who can speak about this with authority.
Or at least to be referred to a reliable source for information.

Any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old June 30th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV[_2_]

On Jun 23, 4:13*pm, Larry wrote:
Hi,

I recently developed what seems to be sciatica - a kind of pinched
nerve that causes tingling/numbness in the leg and foot. The onset
coincided with the couple of times I went for some uphill training
(skate rollerski). I'm now doing evaluation and physical therapy, but
the docs and therapists don't have any idea about the sport and its
possible effects on this condition. It would be great to see a doctor
(NJ, PA, NYC and thereabouts) who can speak about this with authority.
Or at least to be referred to a reliable source for information.

Any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

I have found some relief doing supine (laying on your back) hamstring
and glut stretching. Your hams and gluts pull on your lower back
muscles which in turn "freak out" to protect your spine. The
"freaked out" muscles then pinch nerves radiating out from your spine.

I did yoga postures for a number of years but tended to not keep my
lower back isolated which would end up making my back hurt even more.
The supine stretches have helped immensely.

Sorry not be able to provide a consult. My picked my GP on his
interest in sports and willingness to treat injuries with rehab and
pain relief rather than "do nothing for 6 to 8 weeks"
Old July 8th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jun 23, 4:13*pm, Larry wrote:

I recently developed what seems to be sciatica - a kind of pinched
nerve that causes tingling/numbness in the leg and foot. The onset
coincided with the couple of times I went for some uphill training
(skate rollerski).

First off, I'm not an expert or a Dr., just someone who suffered w/
this for a while and learned a lot about it while laid up. The
location of your symptom is indicative of how severe the problem is;
for symptoms in the foot right away means you have a fairly
significant impingment of the sciatic nerve. This happens for a
variety of reasons - mine was a piece of a herniated disc which had
broken off and was laying on the nerve. Usually only an MRI will tell
what the cause is, there are also some more involved tests which can
be done. Conservative treatment (like therapy and NSAIDS) do
sometimes work, helping to calm down any inflammation, deadening pain,
resorbing the disc, etc.

You won't get a diagnosis over the Internet, but I hope this helps.

- Bob
Old July 21st 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

I have two recommendations. Buy a copy of Stuart McGill's "Ultimate
Back Fitness and Performance" which gives a good education on various
types of problems that can develop and what movement patterns are
likely to cause them. It should be pretty straightforward to make
your own judgements about how nordic skiing fits into his model (e.g.,
if you're limited in hip mobility, you may be using too much lumbar
rotation during skating, which often leads to annular tears...)

Second is a physiatrist at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in NYC:
Peter Moley. I've seen a number of physiatrists in Boston and NY and
he's the only one who really has an understanding of biomechanics.
Also, HSS offers much higher quality MRI's than you can get elsewhere
and may pick up things going on in your spine that a typical
outpatient MRI place wouldn't.

Best of luck,

Jon