So Just How Dangerous is Roller-Skiing?

Old September 8th 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

Default So Just How Dangerous is Roller-Skiing?

On Aug 30, 12:04*pm, Jon wrote:
I forgot to ask specifically about Jenex's brakes (i.e., does anyone
have experience with them? *Heavy?). *

I have them on my V2 Aero 125's and love them. They are not too
heavy, they do not cause the front wheel to dip down. Mine are the
older, single lever type - the newer ones have a squared off U shape
which works easier and resists bending. They will almost stop you on
steep downhills and give me a great deal of confidence on the
different routes I ski on.

- Bob
Old September 23rd 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

Jon wrote:

There just can't be that many people who rollerski regularly, so I'm
not sure that I'm comforted by the idea that that's a low number
compared with byciclists, etc.

Jon

You cant compare rollski activities to bike activities nor can you
compare the injuries gained.
I've got patches of skin on my arms and thighs which never get sun
burned due to gravel rash injuries when road cycling as a youngster.
That never happened to me when rollerskiing.

But once on a solo rollerski day tour I failed to cope with a hairpin
and sat on the tarmac as if I was on skis. Hitting granite edging blocks
at slow speed stopped me from dropping onto the boulder filled dry
stream bed, but it was thought I'd broken a small bone in my coccyx.
At my office desk I'd to sit on a blown up beach ring much to everyones
amusement. I did the same injury on a ski loipe when sitting and
landing on chunks of ice between the two ski tracks.
You don't get this sort of accident from cycling.

Here in the UK they have developed several excellent tracks in a well
maintained parkland environment for rollerski tuition training and
racing, which can also be used for some community cycle events.
Thats come too late in life for me but I believe thats the correct way
forward, it enables speed with safety.