Mpeg Races hit the end of the road?

Old June 2nd 05, 06:45 AM
Janne G

Default Mpeg Races hit the end of the road?

Hi all

At last the computer department have got to me with a request of closing
the web server down, so it seams to be the end of the road for the video
webserver in this form at least.
At least it don't happend in the middle of the season at least...

Sorry to inform you all about this.

Janne G

Old June 2nd 05, 12:49 PM
ViktoriaK ViktoriaK is offline
Junior Member

That's really sad... Well, I was going to count on your site during Olympic season...
Well, maybe you should try to use torrents?
Old June 2nd 05, 03:59 PM
Marsh Jones

Janne G wrote:
Hi all

At last the computer department have got to me with a request of closing
the web server down, so it seams to be the end of the road for the video
webserver in this form at least.
At least it don't happend in the middle of the season at least...

Sorry to inform you all about this.

Janne G

Thanks for all the hours of toil (and the forebearance of your Computer
group in hosting the MPEGs). Maybe someone will happen upon another
resource for them.

Thanks again!

Marsh
Old June 2nd 05, 05:33 PM
Marc

Janne G wrote:
Hi all

At last the computer department have got to me with a request of closing
the web server down, so it seams to be the end of the road for the video
webserver in this form at least.
At least it don't happend in the middle of the season at least...

Sorry to inform you all about this.

Janne G

thanks for the great resource- while it lasted

marc
Old June 2nd 05, 09:23 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Thanks for everything, Janne! What you've contributed is so far beyond
the admirable, there are really no words to express the depth of my (and
our in the U.S.) appreciation.

Is there any kind of alternative, such as if someone else came up with a
server, would you be able to post there?

Gene

Old June 3rd 05, 12:00 AM
Jeff Clausen

Thank you for your time and effort and thank you for the countless hours of
enjoyment you have provided us XC video deprived Americans.

Jeff Clausen
Whitefish, MT

--
To reply you need to dig the sliver out.
"Janne G" wrote in

Old June 3rd 05, 03:01 AM
Erik Brooks

Let me add my thanks to Gene's. It's been great, and it will be great
if there's a way to save it.

Thanks!

Erik Brooks
Seattle

Old June 3rd 05, 11:11 AM
dardruba

so it seams to be the end of the road for the video
webserver in this form at least.

So, we shall watch this space.

Thanks also from me for the personal time you've spent helping me and
others to resolve their four letter technical problems, like DIVX's.

And I hope this loss of web server wont stop you posting here with your
extensive ski advice.
Mike
Old June 3rd 05, 11:42 AM
Janne G

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Thanks for everything, Janne! What you've contributed is so far beyond
the admirable, there are really no words to express the depth of my (and
our in the U.S.) appreciation.

Is there any kind of alternative, such as if someone else came up with a
server, would you be able to post there?

Gene

Hi Gene

I don't know anybody that have a 100mbit line and a storagecapacity
around 100gig laying around except the University for an acceptable
amount of money, do you?

I haven't given up it all but the service have definitly ended in this
fachion at least, but don't be to hopefull of anything the coming
seasoon, at least it will not be in the same form as before, that have
the University clearly stated.

Some mention moving over to bittorrents, hm, maybe, but that would also
include everybody in this NG to do so also and just looking at the
problems of just shifting the format to Xvid i would imagine that
bittorrent would be an even harder task to do.

Janne G