Park City, Ut Here I Come

Old January 17th 05, 07:42 PM
lal_truckee

L H wrote:

If you think ski-poles are necessary, just ask a Snowboarder. Ever see
one with poles ? We haven't..........yet ?

I thought you just said you're an experienced skier? I've seen
snowboarders with poles - they use them for poling on slight uphill
traverses; some just keep them collapsed in their pack when not in use,
others carry them in their hands.

Poles are valuable assets for many reasons. The only occasion where they
might be considered superfluous is when on groomed runs using shaped
carver skis to arc rudimentary repeated arcs. While groomed runs are
available at all popular resorts, nobody skis them any more - they're
too crowded (thank you Yogi.)

But I do agree with your previous comments about 54 being far from too
late to learn to ski, unless the owner of that 54 year old body believes
he's a tottering old geezer.
Old January 17th 05, 10:46 PM
L H

As you say, "On extreme terrain". That's the difference !

Snowboarding is a far different world. Try skiing on solidly frozen
broken snow after it's been slashed and broken up by early morning
skiers at Mt. Hood.
We have and we found it impossible, that is, until we traded in our
203cm skis for our boards and boarded to the bottom with considerable
success with nary a pole in sight. Same thing at Loveland, Wolf Creek,
Telluride, Alta and Killington VT.

No debate, just 55 years experience on hundreds of Double Slopes
with no poles in sight.

Have a safe landing ! LH 1/17/05

Old January 17th 05, 10:53 PM
L H

As said, "We have yet to see one boarder with poles." Pls send pic for
our ski clubs to see with a little rationale behind the pic.

Old January 17th 05, 11:11 PM
snoig

"L H" wrote in message
As you say, "On extreme terrain". That's the difference !

Snowboarding is a far different world. Try skiing on solidly frozen
broken snow after it's been slashed and broken up by early morning
skiers at Mt. Hood.
We have and we found it impossible, that is, until we traded in our
203cm skis for our boards and boarded to the bottom with considerable
success with nary a pole in sight. Same thing at Loveland, Wolf Creek,
Telluride, Alta and Killington VT.

No debate, just 55 years experience on hundreds of Double Slopes
with no poles in sight.

Have a safe landing ! LH 1/17/05

True, a snowboard really is the weapon of choice for backcountry spring sun
crust. Still, most of my backcountry snowboarding friends all use poles.
They use a split-board with skins and poles for access. Of course, once
they are actually riding the poles go in the backpack.

snoig

Old January 18th 05, 02:55 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Our local newspaper just had an article about people picking up skiing
in their 50's and 60's. With the life expectancy what it is these days,
you could conceivably have 20-30 years of fun on the slopes ahead of you.

They interviewed a guy who started skiing when he was 61. Now's he's 77
years old and still enjoying himself on the slopes.

Fairplay wrote:
I will be there for 4 days at the end of Jan..I have NEVER been on a sky
slope and Im not palnning to do so at my ripe 54 yrs..What else is there to
do there, while my family and friends hit the sowy mountains ???

Txs

Old January 18th 05, 04:20 PM
looking-for-new-home

Have fun but watch out for avalanges.

Old January 18th 05, 10:06 PM
lorraine hayes

Bri: My Grandson's name.
Your paper is absolutely right !
FYI: I have taught many, many people over 60 to ski successfully in the
East, West and Australia (as a 70+ Club Member who ski FREE... (I said
FREE).
Llttle Brian started when he was 6 plus his Mother and three more
daughters and their children......and ALL without poles..."Just two less
things to worry about". Enough said.
FYI:
There are a couple of other "LH" msgs in "Group Skiing/Park City" re
poles/instruction, etc you might find time to read. LH 1/18/05