Jackson (and Utah) mid-trip report

Old March 20th 05, 01:54 AM
Bill Griffiths

Sources close to the investigation reveal that, on Sat, 19 Mar 2005
17:10:06 -0600, Sven Golly wrote:

Bill Griffiths wrote in
:

If that's your charitable interpretation, what's your worst case?

A flatboarding f***wit?

Hey, no making fun of flatboarding. I treasure my memories of
flatboarding on my first pair of skis. Of course, that was TRUE
flatboarding, with the skis locked a constant distance apart, rigidly
parallel in the same plane -- not the false flatboarding advocated
today.

(They were toy skis, all wood, no sidecut, useless for skiing, but
excellent runners for a homemade luge. Ah, THAT was flatboarding.)

--
Bill Griffiths
"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no such thing as justice." Hobbes

Old March 20th 05, 01:54 AM
yunlong

Sven Golly wrote:
Bob Lee wrote in news:rlee-BEB368.17141219032005
@individual.net:

Right, now **** off.

My description of Ichin as a "flatboarding f***wit" is looking better

now.

What a bunch of boring pathetic little characters.

IS

--
Sven Golly
Yah sure by gosh by yumpin' yiminy

Old March 20th 05, 01:55 AM
yunlong

AstroPax wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:00:57 -0600, "yunlong"
wrote:

Yes, those conditions are always existed in a powder field at
the end of day.

Yunlong,

Were you born a naturally stupid ****ing dumbass, or do you
actually have to work at it ???

Neither, however, your question does reflect your "stupid ****ing
dumbass" character quite naturally.

IS

-Astro

---
X Minus Two
http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/index.htm
---

Old March 20th 05, 01:56 AM
yunlong

Sven Golly wrote:
AstroPax wrote in
:

Were you born a naturally stupid ****ing dumbass, or do you

actually
have to work at it ???

I think yes to both.

Old March 20th 05, 03:21 AM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article .com, Armin
says...

Bob Lee wrote:

But "a locked-heel telemark binding" and "Lal's fat skis" are still
oxymorons, right?

Bob

No, wrong. A "locked-heel telemark binding" would be a "technological
advancement". ;-)

I guess that would be called AT Gear. Not everything needs "technological
advancement" though like beer or Scotch...or telemark technique.

I was skiing with a 10th Mountain Div guy who was in one of the last
brigades (the ones trained as soldiers first and then sent to Colorado
to learn to ski in 6 weeks - opposite to those we usually hear about)
the other day - we got to comparing gear we learned on; my Dad had
bought some 10th Div surplus for me to learn on 10 years after this guy,
so it turned out we actually learned to ski on the same equipment; But
back to the point.

He talked about the innovative idea of screwing cable hold down hooks to
the side wall near the toe AND A SECOND PAIR near the heel - he just had
to move the cable from the front hold down pair to the back pair to go
from telemark rig to alpine rig. Talk about neat ideas - you guys might
like to reinvent the wheel here and recreate this wonderous
"technological advancement." (P.S. my surplus skis were already set up
with two pairs of cable hold downs; without someone to guide me, I never
moved the cable to the front pair and tried tele. Who knows how things
would have developed if I had?)

Old March 20th 05, 08:32 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine lal_truckee wrote:

He talked about the innovative idea of screwing cable hold down hooks to
the side wall near the toe AND A SECOND PAIR near the heel - he just had
to move the cable from the front hold down pair to the back pair to go
from telemark rig to alpine rig. Talk about neat ideas - you guys might
like to reinvent the wheel here and recreate this wonderous
"technological advancement."

Why wouuld you want to lock your heels down?

ObSnow.. 16" new on the deck and counting. Pnuking. No way out.... oh
well.

-klaus

Old March 21st 05, 03:44 AM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
In rec.skiing.alpine lal_truckee wrote:

He talked about the innovative idea of screwing cable hold down hooks to
the side wall near the toe AND A SECOND PAIR near the heel - he just had
to move the cable from the front hold down pair to the back pair to go
from telemark rig to alpine rig. Talk about neat ideas - you guys might
like to reinvent the wheel here and recreate this wonderous
"technological advancement."

Why wouuld you want to lock your heels down?

ObSnow.. 16" new on the deck and counting. Pnuking. No way out.... oh
well.

See - I told ya'll. Me leaving town allowed you to enjoy some snowfall.
It was I preventing weather from blessing your locale.

I gotta have a chat with Ullr about reversing the effect - IMO snow
should follow me, not avoid me. Maybe if I brought Skadi a nice parfume?

Old March 21st 05, 05:49 AM
rosco

yunlong wrote:
snip the usual yunglong stupid ****

Here's the problem: Slush is heavy, wet, and mushy - powder
is dry, light, and fluffy. You cannot have something that is
dry, wet, light, heavy, fluffy. and mushy at the same time.

Yes, those conditions are always existed in a powder field at the end
of day.

I tried to be simple and go slowly, tell me where I lost you.

And I tried to tell you that your narrow[-minded] definitions have
prevented you to see things broader.

IS

Once again, yunlong, you have proven your ignorance and stupidity
publically. Aren't you ashamed to make yourself a fool and expose your
lack of intelligence and common sense to these members of rsa? Don't
you have a shred of conscience to prevent you from posted utter
bull****? Don't you have enough self-respect to allow yourself to learn
from others? Don't you have enough of a sense of truth to admit to
others and yourself when you have spoken out of turn once again? I
would expect such public displays of silliness from a child, not an
adult. It was a pleasure not hearing from you for a while. Please stop
vomiting the drivel you are famous for.

RAC

Old March 21st 05, 03:50 PM
Armin

Sven Golly wrote:
"Armin" wrote in news:1111176111.832992.267010
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

PS- Some of my best friends are pinheads... but i don't hold it

against
them. ;-)

How 'bout cable jockies?

There you Pinheads go getting technical again!

Same thing. I use Pindead as a generic term for someone using any type
of Tele binding. Pins without cables, cables without pins or cables
with pins... they are all Pinheads.

Actually, I haven't seen anyone using tele bindings without cables for
quite a while. However, I do still have a pair of Kharu Extremes in my
basement, mounted with a pair of Voile 3-pin bindings. It's been a
number of years since they've seen daylight. I'd be willing to part
with them. Any offers?

A.

Old March 21st 05, 06:52 PM
VtSkier

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , lal_truckee
says...

Kurt Knisely wrote:

In article .com, Armin
says...

Bob Lee wrote:

But "a locked-heel telemark binding" and "Lal's fat skis" are still
oxymorons, right?

Bob

No, wrong. A "locked-heel telemark binding" would be a "technological
advancement". ;-)

I guess that would be called AT Gear. Not everything needs "technological
advancement" though like beer or Scotch...or telemark technique.

I was skiing with a 10th Mountain Div guy who was in one of the last
brigades (the ones trained as soldiers first and then sent to Colorado
to learn to ski in 6 weeks - opposite to those we usually hear about)
the other day - we got to comparing gear we learned on; my Dad had
bought some 10th Div surplus for me to learn on 10 years after this guy,
so it turned out we actually learned to ski on the same equipment; But
back to the point.

Wow, these guys are everywhere. I didn't think there were many left? Where did
you ski w/ this 10th guy? We have one here in Kamas too.

There are still a few left. My first wife's father was one,
now dead. I think Joe Jones in Rutland is still alive. I
don't know if Bill Robichaud was in the 10th, he's old
enough and he skied with Minnie Dole, but I never asked
him if he was in the 10th.

He talked about the innovative idea of screwing cable hold down hooks to
the side wall near the toe AND A SECOND PAIR near the heel - he just had
to move the cable from the front hold down pair to the back pair to go

from telemark rig to alpine rig. Talk about neat ideas - you guys might

like to reinvent the wheel here and recreate this wonderous
"technological advancement." (P.S. my surplus skis were already set up
with two pairs of cable hold downs; without someone to guide me, I never
moved the cable to the front pair and tried tele. Who knows how things
would have developed if I had?)

Military surplus bindings from Ramer are available online
brand new for about ten bucks. The toe piece has no release
but can accomodate almost any boot you might like to put
into it including plastic mountaineering boots. It's a
cable binding with a front throw and has a release like
a Dovre cable of the 50's and 60's. Two sets of low hitches
with the rear ones arranged so that you can free or fix
your heel. Rugged enough so you can tele with your heel
free without worrying about breaking your bindings.

Point being that almost anything you can think of in ski
bindings is already available.

Yeabut, pinhead/cableheads *like* the telemark binding...why lock it down? Free
yer heel, free yer wallet and all that jazz.

'Had you switched to tele in the olden days, you'd now be getting bashed by
Armin, BD and other AT ilk.

Wonderful skiing yesterday, but it was a little spooky. The only ATer we saw
was a patroller, oh and one knuckledragger, otherwise the BC was empty. Well,
it was dumping all day though.

-K