Barking

Old January 9th 05, 08:16 PM
Carl

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
I know I go on about this a lot, but the weather! Interesting to read that

I seem to remember a season a couple of years (or maybe slightly more) ago
when the snow was non-existant until late January, then it snowed like
buggery for weeks and ended up closing lifts all over the place - may even
have been the year when all the avalanches in Austria happened? Not sure
now...

The point is... the trend appears to be more and more that the snow comes
late. I've lost count of the number of big dumps of snow in april over the
last few years. We have more than half of January, the whole of Feb & March
and half of April of the "traditional season" to go so it's abit early to be
writing it off, isn't it? There could be huge dumps of snow in late Jan &
Feb that turns this into a vintage season... why write it off as a bad
season at this point, where we're perhaps less than a fifth of the way into
it?

It's a bit like giving up on the premiership if you lose the first 7
games... OK, granted it's a bad start, but it's a long way from being a
complete disaster, isn't it?

The "trend" of warmer temps is a "last 20 year" phenomenon... who's to say
that the next 20 years are going to go the same way? It's well accepted that
global warming could, perversely enough, turn Britain into a ski destination
with Arctic temperatures leading to the Peak District becoming a mega
resort! Climatologists have demonstrated several periods in the last few
centuries when there have been similar "warm spells" so I'm not throwing
away the snowboard just yet...

Go and give the moles a stiff talking to and shoo the storks off the
chimneys, then we'll be laughing...

Old January 9th 05, 08:20 PM
Simon Brown

"Carl" wrote in message

The point is... the trend appears to be more and more that the snow comes
late. I've lost count of the number of big dumps of snow in april over

the
last few years. We have more than half of January, the whole of Feb &

March
and half of April of the "traditional season" to go so it's abit early to

be
writing it off, isn't it? There could be huge dumps of snow in late Jan &
Feb that turns this into a vintage season... why write it off as a bad
season at this point, where we're perhaps less than a fifth of the way

into
it?

I was talking about this with a hotel owner earlier today - the problem is
that no matter how good the snow is in late March or April not enough people
want to go skiing to make it financially viable to keep the resorts running.

I haven't written off 2005 but apart from a few flakes expected
Wednesday/Thursday it'll be mild-ish and sunny for the foreseeable future.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 09:42 AM
Carl Edwards

I was talking about this with a hotel owner earlier today - the problem is
that no matter how good the snow is in late March or April not enough
people
want to go skiing to make it financially viable to keep the resorts
running.

Fair point. I'm always happy to go in late March. OK, it gets a bit slushy,
but it's usually nice and warm for basking on a sundeck with a beer after a
day's skiing or boarding and the slopes are a bit quieter. Many of the
resorts, at least a lot of the French ones, seem to be geared up to run
until mid-April or beginning of May anyway, judging by their opening times
published.

I haven't written off 2005 but apart from a few flakes expected
Wednesday/Thursday it'll be mild-ish and sunny for the foreseeable future.

But it often is in January! A few years ago I had two consecutive January
holidays. One in Italy, one in Austria. Both times there had been December
snow, a little early January snow then nothing but warm temps and Foehn
winds scouring the slopes until after we'd been there and then it dumped big
time...

By leaving the holiday until March, you have the best chance of benefitting
from accumulated snow, even if it is a bit slushy by then. But that's my
little secret. You lot carry on going in December, January and Feb and
leave March for me and my group please... )

Old January 10th 05, 10:01 AM
Simon Brown

Late March is nearly also good for snow, I agree with you.

My dog is currently sunning himself on the balcony where it is 12C, we're at
1035 masl in www.laax.ch .
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 11:11 AM
Carl Edwards

My dog is currently sunning himself on the balcony where it is 12C, we're
at
1035 masl in www.laax.ch .

Ah! a cunning and late effort to get the thread back on line with the
subject header... woof!

Old January 10th 05, 11:28 AM
MoonMan

cupra wrote:
WeatherCam wrote:
Unrelated to skiing but very interesting site about derelict
London: http://www.derelictlondon.com

Jeess and I thought this topic was about how weird the weather
patterns are, and not Barking in East London!!

lol

Barking is in Essex But is near the becton alp.

Chris

Old January 10th 05, 11:31 AM
Switters

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:01:42 GMT, "Simon Brown"
allegedly wrote:

My dog ...

Have you gone and bought that thing now?
Old January 10th 05, 11:37 AM
Simon Brown

allegedly wrote:

My dog ...

Have you gone and bought that thing now?

He's on holiday here until Thursday. Now it's 14C - it really is crazy
weather, the snow is vanishing like crazy down in the town.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 12:09 PM
Simon Brown

If you can read German:
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news...er/454686.html

"Switzerland is waiting for Snow"
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
I know I go on about this a lot, but the weather! Interesting to read that
the swallows are trying to spend the winter in Switzerland somewhere

around
Bern rather than pushing off 'down south'.

By rights it should be real brass monkey temperatures, at the moments it's
+7C at 2228m and getting warmer.

--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 12:46 PM
John Ricketts

Looks like the snow's all going to Scotland for a change.... half a metre
heading for Nevis over the next week. Its about time they had some sort of a
season!