V2 tip: a complete push sets up other foot just right

Old August 6th 04, 03:38 PM
Jeff Potter

Default V2 tip: a complete push sets up other foot just right

I feel my V2 coming around nicely finally. Only took a couple years!

I recently made another discovery. Let's see if anyone likes it or if
it can help anyone...

One of my weak-links in V2, especially in rollerskiing was losing my
balance to the OUTSIDE on the new ski. I'd push off from one side and
go too far to the other side.

At the same time, I'd heard that John Bauer and others strongly
suggest that the glide ski be placed down under the hip and not close
to the pushing ski.

Then I also noted Pete Vordenberg's encouragement of complete
push-off.

But these were all subliminal factors. My main concern was losing
balance to the outside.

I was also looking to get more speed from my push by working on
keeping myself and my weight over the pushing leg during the whole
push, but that's a different issue. Pete also commented about skiers
falling off the push ski too soon. I was trying to fix that and get
the kind of speed that inliners get.

Anyway, I started testing a very complete push-off. And suddenly I
found that I was putting the new ski down straight under me rather
than up against the push-ski. And I was no longer losing my balance to
the outside! It seemed like a very nice improvement.

I think the problem was that I was falling off the push-ski before I
was done pushing and as I kept pushing over to the glide ski I pushed
myself too far. Bummer! But now fixed!

I also seemed to have improved in another area.

Now, all these improvements came when I was finally able to do some
rollering on long uphills. Not coincidence. Hills are good!

Like last winter when I had a break-thru in my steep uphill V1, I
started letting my torso and head hang down between my skis and poles
in uphill V2. Somehow this resulted in an easy way to get quite a bit
more forward tilt of my whole body. At the same time I worked on
kicking forward still (with heel, pushing to side in the end)---so
that I wasn't toeing to the rear.

Anyway, things seem much nicer, faster, easier, more balanced. Cool!

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com

Question weight distribution on front foot. Boyle Lee Snowboarding 1 February 17th 04 01:10 PM
foot steering? copek Snowboarding 2 January 31st 04 02:22 AM
learning V1: my videos + story from last week Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 34 January 9th 04 11:01 AM
Kick method? was Lower Leg injuries GR Nordic Skiing 24 December 18th 03 09:04 PM
Heel Push and Toe Push Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 9 September 18th 03 11:15 AM