Marquette course inquiry

Old January 27th 04, 07:36 PM

Default Marquette course inquiry

A couple of friends from up here (down here, I guess!) in Ontario did the
US Masters 15K classic. (3rd and 5th in the 40-44's). I do races which
they are in often, so have a good sense of about what I might have done,
much slower but much older! When I looked at the 60+ age categories, it
turned out to be 10K, not 15. That's my category, but the comparisons
looked a bit surprising. I'm guessing that the two courses were not
just 3 X 5K and 2 X 5K using the same 5K, but that the older guys had
more climbing per K, but less distance of course. Anybody here know
the comparison between the courses?

Best, Peter

Old January 27th 04, 11:01 PM
FrontRunner

Same course, they did one less lap of a 4km loop in the woods. My guess
about 9km and 13km for the races.

The FrontRunner
.ca...

Old January 27th 04, 11:52 PM
Erik Brooks

Hi Peter,

I did the '15k' that day. It was -20F with windchill, so the race was
nearly cancelled. Instead, the original course was altered and
shortened so that we would spend nearly all the race time in the
trees. I heard someone say that the longer race was about 13K.
Perhaps the shorter one was 8k?

We started at one end of a windy field and raced across to the woods.
Then the 15k-ers did 3 laps in the woods and returned over the windy
field. The "10" K course was the same but they did 2 laps not 3. So
the shorter course did the same climbs, but less total climbs and also
less climbs per K.

Erik Brooks