Proper foot position over ski, boot width and Pilot versus NNNbindings - any thoughts?

Old January 25th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Proper foot position over ski, boot width and Pilot versus NNNbindings - any thoughts?

I only learned how to skate ski last year at Lake Placid ORDA, and am
very dedicated to getting better. Recently I had a chance to
participate in a NENSA clinic at the Von Trapps x country area in
Stowe, VT and get in a few good days in excellent conditions. My foot
size is not very wide but on the wide side (I take either a normal
size shoe or an EE, depending on the cut of the shoe). I'm 190 lbs, 6
ft tall and wear a Salomon Carbon skate boot which I got on sale
during the warmer months. I also use Superfeet skate boot inserts.

I have a very good awareness of body positioning, and it's hard to
explain, but I feel like my foot (and my thus my weight) is not
optimally centered over my skis, but rather a little off to the side
of the ski, and I'm wondering if this could be at all a function of
the Carbon boots and Pilot bindings, or is just an issue of technique
and flexibility (I would tend to think the latter, but again, I really
feel like my foot is just a little off where it should be). Someone
mentioned to me that many NNN boots have wider toe boxes (though if
NNN is just a binding, I don't know how this would affect boot width)
and that NNN bindings and a wider toe box might work better for me. I
should mention that the Carbon boots fit me like a glove, but I wear
them in a slightly larger size than I would usually take to get the
right volume fit. Again, it's hard to explain, but it just feels as
if the center of my foot is not over the center of the skis.

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts from more experienced skate
skiers. What do you think?
Old January 25th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Assuming this is really a foot alignment issue and not a body alignment
issue, I'd check binding position and if not that, look at orthotics
(forget Superfeet, they are not an orthotic, but an expensive insole).
Talk to the best alpine boot fitter in your region about that. Another
possibility is ankle alignment or strength, since you are a big guy. On
the other hand, if you are new to skating as you say, and a year is
nothing in terms of learning the technique, then it could very well be
a body position issue that makes your feet feel out of whack. For that,
find a good PSIA or CANSI X-C instructor, preferably a Level 3 (4 in
Canada).

rm

Old January 25th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DirtRoadie

mountainwalker wrote:
I have a very good awareness of body positioning, and it's hard to
explain, but I feel like my foot (and my thus my weight) is not
optimally centered over my skis, but rather a little off to the side
of the ski, and I'm wondering if this could be at all a function of
the Carbon boots and Pilot bindings,

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts from more experienced skate
skiers. What do you think?

FWIW, I have had the same sensation using Fischer S9000 Pilot boots.
I also find that if I close my eyes lift my foot and "aim" my foot by
feel that the ski is not pointed where I perceive my foot to be
"aimed."

Along similar lines I also have an extensive alpine skiing background
and find it strange that skating boots do not generally have a way to
adjust the alignment of the cuff/ankle (or other support) to match
one's natural stance when balanced. Notice that when balanced
(comfortably) on one foot the lower leg is not directly vertical
(which is a somewhat nebulous concept anyhow since it is not straight
either). However in many (most) boots the ankle opening is essentially
in vertical alignment with the sole and this alignment is not
changeable. I once had a pair of Alpina skating boots that had just
such an alignment adjustment. I miss having it even though I can
compensate without it. It just seems to me that proper tools would
minimize the need to compensate for anything.

DR