Atomic Race Skate flex

Old January 10th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mueladesanjuan

Default Atomic Race Skate flex

Hello,

I bought an Atomic nordic ski model Race Skate 2006/07 and I am
interested in know if they are hard or soft flex. Is there a way to
know the flex?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english
Albert
Old January 10th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jan 10, 11:00*am, mueladesanjuan wrote:

I bought an Atomic nordic ski model Race Skate 2006/07 and I am
interested in know if they are hard or soft flex. Is there a way to
know the flex?

Maybe - Atomic puts a small sticker on the ski just behind where the
binding plate of the ski would mount. If the sticker is still there,
it should have the ski serial # and a flex/base description (eg, Med
Cold - which means a medium flex and a cold base.)

It will not be a numeric value, like Fischer does by marking each pair
w/ the closing flex.

- Bob
Old January 10th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I thought Atomic still used the sticker with two flex related numbers.
If so, and the OP still has it, then he could call a shop that sells
Atomic. Otherwise, the shop where he bought them may have recorded the
numbers.

Old January 15th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 10, 8:00*am, mueladesanjuan wrote:
Hello,

I bought an Atomic nordic ski model Race Skate 2006/07 and I am
interested in know if they are hard or soft flex. Is there a way to
know the flex?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english
Albert

I do not know if Atomic is still putting a small white sticker with
two numbers on each pair of skis. But here is Bob Woodward's (Ski
Trax Annual 2006) explaination:

The first and larger number is what Atomic calls the ski's "Midflex"
and the smaller number is the ski's "Half-weight Flex".

The "Midflex" number is the kilograms force that it takes to compress
the ski to 0.5mm at its balance point. The "Half-weight Flex" is the
height of the residual camber with an arbitrary weight on the single
ski. Atomic plkaces a weight equal to 25 to 35 kg depending on the
length of the ski - 25 kg for short skis, 30 kg for middle skis and 35
kg for longer skis without consideration of its Midflex value.

For skate skis, Atomic had been suggesting a Midflex value of 83% to
105% of body mass for people under 170 pounds weight and 80% to 100%
for people over 170% weight. My Atomic WC Skate skis were marked with
a Midflex value of 67 and my body mass is 75 kg (89%) and the skis
work.

Atomic recommended the following Midflex values for classic skis:
Lessor skiers (such as myself):
50-55% of body mass for hard wax skis
60-65% for klister skis.

My Zack Caldwell picked skis:
Hard wax ski = 38 Midflex/75kg = 51%
Klister ski = 46 Midflex/75 kg = 61%
I wanted an easy closing ski and Zack got them for me. I don't think
I'm giving up glide even with an easy closing ski.

For strong skiers, Atomic suggest:
Hard wax ski = 55% to 60%
Klister ski = 65% to 70%

Edgar

Old January 18th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 18, 11:44*am, wrote:
If I remember correctly, they should be marked near the binding area.

On Jan 10, 11:00 am, mueladesanjuan wrote:

Hello,

I bought an Atomic nordic ski model Race Skate 2006/07 and I am
interested in know if they are hard or soft flex. Is there a way to
know the flex?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english
Albert- Hide quoted text -

The Atomic Mid-flex and height numbers are suppose to be measured for
each piar and were printed on a little piece of white paper stuck to
the ski. The Soft, Med, Hard notation is marked on a more "permaent"
sticker near the binding area but is not quantiative like the Midflex
rating. That said, the Midflex rating is only a guide line and not
the same as closing a classic ski to grip.
Old January 23rd 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hi,

Unfortunatly, only the racing skis have the flex #. The model you
bought, the atomic race skate, doesn't have a flex#. It is not
produced in different flexes. Maybe I'm confused... There were 2
models with similar names, one better with a pattern on the top sheet
and one not as good. The better of the two I beleive will have a
transparent sticker right behind the heel saying stiff of soft and
possibly cold or warm. But definatly no flex #.