Northern Illinois ... where to ski?

Old January 4th 04, 09:26 PM
J999w

Default Northern Illinois ... where to ski?

Never had to ask this before, but where are the hot spots around Zion, Antioch,
etc to ski?

We may get enough here in Milwaukee, but it's going to be a stretch. I'll take
a reconaissance drive in a few hours, check out Racine and Kenosha counties.

jw
milwaukee
Old January 5th 04, 02:02 AM
J999w

Just got back from local Whitnal Park, 3 miles from home. About 4 inches right
now and snowing hard. Only saw one set of tracks on the golf course, but the
sledding hill was jammed including some joker with a motorized snowboard. Was
interesting for about 5 minutes, then it was just anoying. :^] I took the
Waxless Visu's but didn't bother spraying them with silicone ... got rewarded
with lots of icing on the humid snow (28F). Oh well. Since the wind had a
pretty good bite, I headed for the friendly woods where the nature trails
provided for a nice tour with a steady falling of floating flakes.

Still have two more days of vacation so I'll look for grooming tomorrow. I was
suprised to see that the club house still had golf equipment out rather than
the ski rentals that they've had since I was a kid (looooong time ago). End of
an era? I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't any grooming on the golf course
since the county layed off a bunch of workers in the fall. Oh well, will just
have to ski a track in!

John Wilke
Milwaukee