Mountain Restaurants in La Rosiere

Old March 14th 05, 07:24 AM
FionaG

Default Mountain Restaurants in La Rosiere

Hello. I am off to La Rosiere in a couple of weeks and wondered if
anyone had been there and had any favourite mountain restaurants they
could recommend? Also, any particularly good runs? Thanks

Old March 14th 05, 10:02 AM
CP

"FionaG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. I am off to La Rosiere in a couple of weeks and wondered if
anyone had been there and had any favourite mountain restaurants they
could recommend? Also, any particularly good runs? Thanks

Fiona,

Pop over to the snowHeads forum http://snowheads.com you will get plenty
of help with questions on La Rosiere.

CP

Old March 14th 05, 11:54 AM
Walter Wright

"FionaG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. I am off to La Rosiere in a couple of weeks and wondered if
anyone had been there and had any favourite mountain restaurants they
could recommend? Also, any particularly good runs? Thanks

Fiona,

By mountain restaurants I take it you mean ones actually up on the
pistes. In which case there are only two, Plan du Repos and Traversette.
They are fairly alike, both self-service cafeteria style, but acceptable
food and not outrageously expensive for mountain restaurants. There are
2 or 3 restaurants near the base of the main Roches Noires chairlift
which are almost ski in/out. Especially Willy's bar (jammed between a
hotel and a restaurant), which does sone awesome local variations of
Croque Monsieurs. If you go over to La Thuile (the Italian side) there
seem to be at least 3 or 4 mountain restaurants over there, but whenever
I've been over that side the ski-host always took us down to La Thuile
itself. There's some excellent italian food to be had there (try Le
Rascard). If conditions are like they were when I was back there first
week of February, I don't think you'll probably spend much time in Italy
though.

A third LaRos restaurant springs to mind - L'Ancolie in Les Eucherts
(its the right-hand side of La Ros looking at a piste map). You can
almost ski in/out, maybe a 10-metre walk at most. Its worth mentioning
because this is the best restaurant in LaRos (in my opinion), although
I've only ever visited it in the evening. They are open at lunchtimes,
but there's a risk you may stay there all afternoon!

As for runs, you'll probably get to do them all at some point. There's a
red and a black on the LHS of the map that go through the trees. They
were great back in Feb, but they are the lowest slopes in the resort and
will be the first to go. You should try and get to Italy, even if its
just to say you went there. Are you going with a tour operator? If so
they will likely have a ski guide service and will know exactly where
the good stuff is.

Have a great time, and don't forget the sun cream.

Walter

Old March 14th 05, 12:49 PM
Ace

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:54:59 GMT, "Walter Wright"
wrote:

"FionaG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I am off to La Rosiere in a couple of weeks and wondered if
anyone had been there and had any favourite mountain restaurants they
could recommend?

snip

If you go over to La Thuile (the Italian side) there
seem to be at least 3 or 4 mountain restaurants over there, but whenever
I've been over that side the ski-host always took us down to La Thuile
itself.

It's such a small resort surely you could navigate yourself around?

There's some excellent italian food to be had there (try Le
Rascard).

There's one great place I remember eating at on christmas day one year
- set menu only, it was, with soup, pasta and main course, plus plenty
of decent red plonk. I only wish I could remember the name of it...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 14th 05, 02:30 PM
Stan Mullery

There are also a couple of restaurants right on the Col where the road
(in summer) crosses the border into Italy.

Stan

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:49:01 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:54:59 GMT, "Walter Wright"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old March 14th 05, 03:10 PM
Ace

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:30:56 +0000, Stan Mullery
wrote:

There are also a couple of restaurants right on the Col where the road
(in summer) crosses the border into Italy.

Yeah, they do a quite acceptable expresso there and I'm lead to
believe[1] that the hot chocolate *rocks*. In a 'stand your spoon up
in it' stylee.

[1] Never touch the stuff myself.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 14th 05, 03:52 PM
Walter Wright

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:54:59 GMT, "Walter Wright"

It's such a small resort surely you could navigate yourself around?

Navigation isn't a problem, its just the TO I usually go with provides a
ski-hosting service included in the price. We like to go out with a
group and the host can get us to the good snow without us having to
spend a day or so trying to find it. Also, I know a couple of the hosts
from previous years. They also have the low down on which restaurants
are currently worth visiting. I know its less relevant in a small resort
but its more a social thing.

There's one great place I remember eating at on christmas day one year
- set menu only, it was, with soup, pasta and main course, plus plenty
of decent red plonk. I only wish I could remember the name of it...

In LaRos or La Thuile? If La Thuile, was it out in a field in the middle
of nowhere or down in the village?

Walter

Old March 14th 05, 07:17 PM
Clive Perry

wrote:

There are also a couple of restaurants right on the Col where the road
(in summer) crosses the border into Italy.

Yeah, they do a quite acceptable expresso there and I'm lead to
believe[1] that the hot chocolate *rocks*. In a 'stand your spoon up
in it' stylee.

Spot on Bruce, the hot chocolate in the little restaurant/bar near the
Piccolo San Bernardo Express lift is like a chocolate fondue. I am not a big
fan of hot chocolate, my Son is though!!, but this was something not to be
missed. The paninis looked excellent here as well, but we were too early for
lunch on the days we were skiing over to La Thuile.

Clive

Old March 15th 05, 06:27 AM
Ace

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:52:05 GMT, "Walter Wright"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:54:59 GMT, "Walter Wright"

It's such a small resort surely you could navigate yourself around?

Navigation isn't a problem, its just the TO I usually go with provides a
ski-hosting service included in the price. We like to go out with a
group and the host can get us to the good snow without us having to
spend a day or so trying to find it. Also, I know a couple of the hosts
from previous years. They also have the low down on which restaurants
are currently worth visiting. I know its less relevant in a small resort
but its more a social thing.

Yes, I understand that; my comment was perhaps just a little bit
tongue-in-cheek. As a Ski Club rep I'm well aware of the reasons why
people like to ski with us, including the above ones you mention.

There's one great place I remember eating at on christmas day one year
- set menu only, it was, with soup, pasta and main course, plus plenty
of decent red plonk. I only wish I could remember the name of it...

In LaRos or La Thuile? If La Thuile, was it out in a field in the middle
of nowhere or down in the village?

La Thuile, and very much away from civilisation. I don't think it was
even on a piste, and involved just a short walk to get back onto the
beaten track.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 15th 05, 07:31 AM
Walter Wright

"Ace" wrote in message

Yes, I understand that; my comment was perhaps just a little bit
tongue-in-cheek. As a Ski Club rep I'm well aware of the reasons why
people like to ski with us, including the above ones you mention.

Yes, I was thinking exactly that as I was writing it .... "he knows this
stuff - this is what he does". I had a bit of a "serious pressure" day
yesterday and I wasn't in a good frame of mind for spotting subtleties.
It makes sense now I re-read it.

There's one great place I remember eating at on christmas day one

year
- set menu only, it was, with soup, pasta and main course, plus

plenty
of decent red plonk. I only wish I could remember the name of it...

In LaRos or La Thuile? If La Thuile, was it out in a field in the

middle
of nowhere or down in the village?

La Thuile, and very much away from civilisation. I don't think it was
even on a piste, and involved just a short walk to get back onto the
beaten track.

Sounds a little like Lo Riondet which is a little way off Piste 7, the
one that follows the road for most off the way.

Walter