ski goggle recommendations

Old March 2nd 04, 06:31 PM
Robert

Default ski goggle recommendations

I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out. I would like to shop for a decent pair of goggles that will allow
me to wear glasses every other day. Thoughts?
Old March 2nd 04, 07:18 PM
lal_truckee

Robert wrote:
I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out. I would like to shop for a decent pair of goggles that will allow
me to wear glasses every other day. Thoughts?

If you have money to burn, the Smith TurboCAM Series works well - has a
fan to clear your eyeglasses of fog; but it's pricey.
http://www.smithsport.com/products/snowgoggle/TurboCAM_index.html

Longevity seems reasonable - I just had to re-solder the wires to the
battery pack on my wife's older model after about 15 years of regular
use; first problem (other than forgetting to turn the fan off and
running the batteries down.)
Old March 2nd 04, 10:14 PM
Mary Malmros

Robert writes:

I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out.

So why not wear goggles over contacts? You get a lot less wind that
way.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old March 3rd 04, 12:03 AM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out.

So why not wear goggles over contacts? You get a lot less wind that
way.

Yup. I've got goggles that fit over glasses, but they're nowhere near
as comfy as goggles with contacts.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 3rd 04, 12:29 AM
Dick Gozinya

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:03:27 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out.

So why not wear goggles over contacts? You get a lot less wind that
way.

Yup. I've got goggles that fit over glasses, but they're nowhere near
as comfy as goggles with contacts.

perhaps its the dry eye issue, I for one cannot wear mine for extended
periods of time
Old March 3rd 04, 02:18 AM
The Real Bev

Dick Gozinya wrote:

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

I am looking for recommendations regarding ski goggles that fit over
glasses. I normally wear glasses, but will throw in the contacts and
wear Revo's when I go skiing. This combination usually works great,
but I still seem to get the odd run that causes me to tear up, or dry
out.

So why not wear goggles over contacts? You get a lot less wind that
way.

Yup. I've got goggles that fit over glasses, but they're nowhere near
as comfy as goggles with contacts.

perhaps its the dry eye issue, I for one cannot wear mine for extended
periods of time

Are you sure they fit? Odd things happen when your lenses aren't quite
right. Each time I open a new one I anticipate a new weirdness -- if
it's too weird I ask them to replace it. All out of the same lot, too.
Not only is fitting the damn things an art, so is making them :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 3rd 04, 12:57 PM
Mary Malmros

The Real Bev writes:

Dick Gozinya wrote:

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

[...]

Bev's got a good point here. I suspect that the majority of contact
lens wearers in the United States are buying them off-the-rack,
which is sort of like doing the same thing with shoes: the fit will
mostly be okay, most of the time, for most people. But if your eyes
are a bit different, it's really worth your while to go to someone
who really knows his/her business. My lenses are a custom fit and
not cheap, but I have much better vision correction and many fewer
problems than seems typical.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Old March 3rd 04, 04:13 PM
Robert

On 03 Mar 2004 08:57:59 -0500, Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev writes:

Dick Gozinya wrote:

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

[...]

Unfortunately, I suffer from "dry-eye", which makes it difficult to
wear contacts for extended periods of time. My goal was to alternate
between contacts and glasses (off to a 7 day ski trip in 2 weeks)
every other day in order to alleviate the problem.
Robert
Old March 4th 04, 02:59 AM
Mary Malmros

The Real Bev writes:

Dick Gozinya wrote:

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

[...]

Again: if you've been buying from Contacts R Us, GO TO A PRO.
Someone who really knows what they're about may be able to help you
with this.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Old March 4th 04, 04:46 AM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev writes:

Dick Gozinya wrote:

wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Robert writes:

[...]

I have against-the-rule astigmatism. NOTHING fits well. I tried 8 pair
of RGPs, and none of them would center, they just wobbled around
whenever my eye moved or blinked. Real shame, because in the 1 second
out of 60 that they worked, they were great. I've got softies some
individual lenses of which work OK most of the time.

I love it when people say stuff like "Well, I just got my contact
prescription, where is the best place to buy my lenses?"
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross