skate ski-flex/technique characteristics question

Old January 27th 06, 03:02 PM

Default skate ski-flex/technique characteristics question

I've been skating on a pair of trab's this winter with pilot bindings.
Yesterday I switched to some Germina 901 skis with profil bindings and
noticed that I had a much harder time (than on the trab's) keeping the
tip from flaring out and pushing through the snow (hard packed cold
snow) during the push. It seems obvious that this is bad since the
more energy that goes into pushing snow means less in the direction of
motion. I compensated somewhat by shifting weight forward more to the
ball of the foot (and bringing the body a little more forward over the
ski) and paying more attention to setting the edge deeply before
pushing.

Is this a characteristic of the ski flex? I've read Zach's reviews
that talk about "hot spots" in the flex, etc.. but have not idea what
this really means. Could this be a result more torsional flex in the
ski? Did I just need to change technique anyway? Any thoughts woould
be appreciated.

On another note, I recently started classic striding more often with a
pair of Visu Magnum waxless skis. These are skinny little track skis
with a fishscale kick zone. To my surprise they were really hard to
skate in and stop on a downhill. Edging downhill was really difficult
- they caught much less of an edge that skate skis and seemed much less
stable with weight over one ski. Is this normal for classic skis?

Thanks for all the advice.

Chris