Best Small French Resort for Beginners

Old March 17th 05, 07:00 AM
Clive Perry

"Edi" wrote in message

"CP" wrote in message

Another good reminder... 'Big Bernard' as we used to call it. Spent 1 day
there when we went to La Clusaz. Do you have any accommodation
recommendations ?

Edi,

Sorry I have never stayed there, we used to travel daily from the other side
of Geneva back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was always one of our
favourites, cheaper than it's neighbours and unusual to hear English being
spoken.

I would guess there is a tourist office that will help with accommodation,
unless it is lumped in with La Clusaz.

CP

PS.

Just found these on Google......

http://www.tourisme.fr/office-de-tou...nd-bornand.htm

or http://www.legrandbornand.com/index....GE_USERLANG=en

Old March 17th 05, 03:59 PM
Steve Pardoe

"FionaG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Edi

Why don't you take a look at La Clusaz. It's one of my favourite
resorts, very French, very pretty and very close to Geneva airport too.
Visit www.laclusaz.com for more info.

snip

I'd agree, we had a great week in La Clusaz area first week of February this
year. We stayed in a chalet quite near the Croix Fry lifts, and the hill
over to Etales / Manigod area is very beginner-friendly. On Beauregard
there's a very long Blue called Guy Perillat which takes you right down to
La Clusaz. There's a free (but not very frequent) shuttle bus between the
lift groups.

Steve

Old March 21st 05, 08:22 PM
Edi

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

I am looking into all of them... like the sound of Grand Bournand/La Clusaz
and Valloire.

Thanks,

Edi

Old March 22nd 05, 11:38 AM
Maris

I'm going to La Giettaz in just over a week. It's virtually next to La
Clusaz and Grand Bourgnand so I'll be checking them out although I
think the ski season is near to finishing at that point.

Maris

Old March 22nd 05, 07:37 PM
Edi

Great Maris...

I look forward to a full report !

All the best,

Edi

Old March 23rd 05, 07:51 AM
Paul Schofield

"Edi" wrote in message
Great Maris...

....snip...

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

I am looking into all of them... like the sound of Grand Bournand/La
Clusaz
and Valloire.

Thanks,

Edi

Edi, about 3 years ago I stayed in Valmeinier 1800 - P&V apartments for 8/9
were very comfortable for 6 of us. Together with Valloire it offers a
reasonable amount of skiing especially for the less advanced. IIRC Val 1800
is nearly all ski in/ski out, but Valloire and most of Val 1400 is not. We
found that the actual resort of Valloire was much busier than Valmeinier,
but the quietest section of all was the mountain in between the 2 resorts.
This may have changed as I understand the access for Val to these runs has
been improved. On the whole fairly cheap in terms of lift passes, ski hire &
accommodation; good food at reasonable prices; easy access from French or
Italian motorway systems; good time had by all - apart from Steve who broke
his hand --- again!

HTH

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old March 23rd 05, 10:05 AM
mutley

"Edi" wrote in message
Looking for advice and any suggestions...
Somewhere probably in French Alps, good for improving beinners ie.
confidence building greens & blues for progression needed, with ski in-ski
out possiblilities and preferably that looks nice too.

Try Le Grand Bornand - I've been there 3 years running. Very French, prices
reasonable but not 'cheap'. Good gentle wide-open beginners slopes with some
encouraging reds but not much really difficult except in poor snow
conditions. Easy to get to from Geneva (buses from airport 2x daily) or
self-drive, loads of accommodation both SC and HB. Not snow-sure but this
February was fantastic.

Unfortunately getting better known and a frenetic pace of new building
activity. Lots of Brits now seem to have apartments in Chinaillon up the
hill, which is the nearest to ski-in/out. From Grand Bo itself you have to
take one of two gondolas to the snow. Some serious queues at UK half-term,
which were previously unknown but away from UK/French school hols. it's
tranquil.

In Grand Bo itself the Pointe Percee is an old but renovated HB hotel, very
welcoming with good food. Le Delta a little away from the centre but next to
skating rink is a modern small BB hotel. I think hotels at Chinaillon are
more expensive but there are loads of apartments there.

HTH
mutley