looking to buy my own ski's...need advice

Old September 7th 03, 05:06 AM
Kevin Olean

Default looking to buy my own ski's...need advice

Okay last year I went skiing for the first time in like 8 years. I went a
few times last year just too make sure I could still ski. This year I want
to buy my own ski's. Now I want some decent skis but I don't want to break
the bank. So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what brands
are good, maybe some stuff I don't need or something I should stay away from
completely.

I think I need Boots (size 14), poles, skis and bindings.

Any help is grreatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
--
______________________
http://www.kevinolean.com

Old September 8th 03, 02:42 AM
Walt

Kevin Olean wrote:
Okay last year I went skiing for the first time in like 8 years. I went a
few times last year just too make sure I could still ski. This year I want
to buy my own ski's. Now I want some decent skis but I don't want to break
the bank. So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what brands
are good, maybe some stuff I don't need or something I should stay away from
completely.

I think I need Boots (size 14), poles, skis and bindings.

Go get yourself a good pair of boots from a shop that will guarantee
the fit i.e. they're willing to keep working on tweaking the boots
until you're completely happy - which means that they won't sell you
inappropriate boots in the first place.)\

Then rent demo/performance skis when you actually ski. It doesn't
sound like you ski often enough to make buying skis cost-effective.
(the break-even point is 10-20 days/year)

If you want poles, go to a swap and buy a pair for ten bucks.

//-Walt
//
//

Old September 8th 03, 04:31 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:

Kevin Olean wrote:

[...]

$3. Poles at garage sales/ swap meets should be $3. The other $7 can go
for beer. Let's not become profligate.

Old September 8th 03, 06:41 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

Walt wrote:

If you want poles, go to a swap and buy a pair for ten bucks.

$3. Poles at garage sales/ swap meets should be $3. The other $7 can go
for beer. Let's not become profligate.

You think that's profligate? I'll have you know that I bought my poles
*new* and spent FIFTEEN (!) dollars on them. Hah! Money is no object
when it comes to ski poles.

--
//-Walt
//
Old September 8th 03, 11:25 PM
The Real Bev

bdubya wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:41:43 -0400, Walt
wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Walt wrote:

If you want poles, go to a swap and buy a pair for ten bucks.

$3. Poles at garage sales/ swap meets should be $3. The other $7 can go
for beer. Let's not become profligate.

You think that's profligate? I'll have you know that I bought my poles
*new* and spent FIFTEEN (!) dollars on them. Hah! Money is no object
when it comes to ski poles.

For that kind of money, I hope you got the high-tech, low-swing-weight
composites instead of the obsolete aluminum ones.....

I sense sarcasm here rather than an honest recognition of the fact that
some people have more money than brains. My nice Scott #3 (whatever that
is) poles were a buck. The fancy ones will probably be $5, but I'll offer
$3 and they'll take it.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 9th 03, 08:45 PM
Kevin Olean

"Walt" wrote in message
Kevin Olean wrote:
Okay last year I went skiing for the first time in like 8 years. I went

few times last year just too make sure I could still ski. This year I

want
to buy my own ski's. Now I want some decent skis but I don't want to

break
the bank. So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what

brands
are good, maybe some stuff I don't need or something I should stay away

from
completely.

I think I need Boots (size 14), poles, skis and bindings.

Go get yourself a good pair of boots from a shop that will guarantee
the fit i.e. they're willing to keep working on tweaking the boots
until you're completely happy - which means that they won't sell you
inappropriate boots in the first place.)\

Walt,

Thanks for the input. A couple quick quetions for you.

About how much should I be looking to spend for a good pair of boots?
Also will I run into any problems when renting only the ski's at the ski
slopes?
And will it actually be cheaper to just rent the ski's and not the boots?

Then rent demo/performance skis when you actually ski. It doesn't
sound like you ski often enough to make buying skis cost-effective.
(the break-even point is 10-20 days/year)

This sounds like a good idea. I don't ski anywhere near 10-20 days/year.
Will I have to ask specifically for demo/performance ski's when I ski? I
shouldn't run into any problems with my new good pair of boots being
compatible with the ski's, correct?

If you want poles, go to a swap and buy a pair for ten bucks.

Good idea for poles.

Old September 9th 03, 09:39 PM
lal_truckee

Kevin Olean wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message

Kevin Olean wrote:

[...]

New top end boots go for $750 and up. However, most companies have
pretty good "recreational" boots in their line for $200-$30 or so.
Previous year models go for considerably cheaper (1/2 price is normal)
and are the way to go. Although best pickings are at season's end rather
than beginning, you should be able to find some deals.
When buying your first boots you should:
1)Find a real boot fitter who guarentees his fit. - most important.
2)Go for fit - not hurting, but not sloppy either, with no pressure
points. - next important.
3)Go for performance. - lessor, but still, important.
..
..
n)Go for bells and whistles and fancy buckles.
n+1)Go for color.

Then rent demo/performance skis when you actually ski. It doesn't
sound like you ski often enough to make buying skis cost-effective.
(the break-even point is 10-20 days/year)

This sounds like a good idea. I don't ski anywhere near 10-20 days/year.
Will I have to ask specifically for demo/performance ski's when I ski? I
shouldn't run into any problems with my new good pair of boots being
compatible with the ski's, correct?

Compatibility of boots/skis is guarenteed by the DIN (a German
Industrial Standards code) for boots/skis.
You will need to ask for demo/performance skis; they will not offer them.
They will be cheaper without boots (demo/performance skis are usually
not rented as part of a package.)

BTW, if you rent your demo skis at a resort, you can usually swap them
during the day and try several different skis. If they break, you can
replace them immediately; AND renting at the resort will force you to
start earlier, like the real skiers do, instead of showing up with the
surge of tourists about 9:30.

Old September 10th 03, 01:57 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:45:47 -0400, "Kevin Olean"
wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message
Kevin Olean wrote:
[...]

$300 to $600 give or take a hundred or so.

Also will I run into any problems when renting only the ski's at the ski
slopes?

No.

And will it actually be cheaper to just rent the ski's and not the boots?

Well, renting skis alone is usually marginally cheaper than a ski+boot
package. However, performance/demo rentals cost more than basic
rental stock, so this will probably be a wash. BUT, you will realize
big savings anyway, because your personal boots will (if you follow
Walt's and lal's advice) fit you much better than a rental boot
would, so you will get much more value out of each lift ticket (an
ill-fitting boot will make you ski worse, ski slower so you'll get
fewer runs in, ski with more pain and less pleasure, burn more energy
and be less likely to ski until the lifts close, etc....) and because
if/when you do get around to buying your own skis, you will have
sampled a lot of different makes and models, and be able to spend your
money much more wisely.

Then rent demo/performance skis when you actually ski. It doesn't
sound like you ski often enough to make buying skis cost-effective.
(the break-even point is 10-20 days/year)

This sounds like a good idea. I don't ski anywhere near 10-20 days/year.
Will I have to ask specifically for demo/performance ski's when I ski?

Yep. And you'll probably want to ask for advice on which ones to get,
as well, because there will be a lot to choose from. Also, depending
on what region you're in, you might want to call ahead to make sure
the hill you're going to has them available. Like if you're in the
midwestern USA, your local hill might only have basic rental stock,
and you'll need to go to your local ski shop instead. If you're
actually in the mountains, this shouldn't be a concern.

I shouldn't run into any problems with my new good pair of boots being
compatible with the ski's, correct?

Correct.

bw