best digital camera for skiing?

Old January 12th 04, 04:07 AM
AstroPax

Default best digital camera for skiing?

On 11 Jan 2004 21:59:30 -0700, "Let Mikey Ski It!"
wrote:

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...s/thursday.jpg

Take that, Astro!

BITE ME !!!!!

-Astro

Old January 12th 04, 04:51 AM
C. Parker

"James Bassuk" wrote in message
. washington.edu...
it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

all feedback is welcome!

thanks,
jim bassuk
edmonds, wa

As you mentioned in a later post, most digital cameras specify a lower
temperature limit of 0 degC. You can take that as a conservative CYA on the
part of the manufacturers. (If you look, I'll bet that your camcorder has
the same spec, and it worked just fine.)

My recommendation would be a minimum of 3 megapixels (Excellent 6" x 8"
prints, and acceptable 8" x 10.7"). Then pick the point and shoot camera
that seems feel right for you, and meets your size requirements. As with
skis, demo before you buy. (Most camera shops will let you try their
cameras, and even print some test shots for you. Although, probably only in
or around the shop!) If you have previously taken a lot of still pictures
you will probably be dismayed by the time delay between pressing the shutter
release button, and the actual exposure. This is inherent in most (All?)
point and shoot cameras. To get away from it you have to go to the pro level
cameras that are no longer pocketable. As Astro mentions, use the multiple
exposure feature and start shooting early.

C.

Old January 12th 04, 02:50 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ington.edu,
James Bassuk wrote:
it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

I kicked down for a Sony DCR-TRV33 Handy Cam this season. It takes
1 Megapixel stills on the memory card while you're filming with Mini DV
Sony Premium tape. Now I throw a lightweight tripod in my backcountry
pack with the shovel, probe, stove, and down suit. It weighs in a little
more than a pound, and its great for scurrying around the high alpine crags.
The resolution is exceptional. You can check that out for yourself in the
new TGR flick, "High Life." That's what sold me on Sony video, and Sony
sponsors TGR nowadays.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 12th 04, 04:32 PM
InMyTree

By inspecting the specs of several cameras, most state that the minimal
operating temp = 32 F, which, of course, won't cut it for skiing.

I'm sure it can operate lower than this anyway, but remember, if you are
keeping the camera in your pocket it is very doubtful whether it will come
into contact with temperatures like that for more than a few seconds
anyway..

Old January 12th 04, 04:39 PM
Walt

InMyTree wrote:

By inspecting the specs of several cameras, most state that the minimal
operating temp = 32 F, which, of course, won't cut it for skiing.

I'm sure it can operate lower than this anyway, but remember, if you are
keeping the camera in your pocket it is very doubtful whether it will come
into contact with temperatures like that for more than a few seconds
anyway..

FWIW, I ski with a water bottle in my pocket and judging from the lack
of liquidity on certain days I'd say that it would be likely to come
into contact with temperatures that low.

I'm just saying, you know...

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 04, 05:08 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

InMyTree wrote:

I'm sure it can operate lower than this anyway, but remember, if you are
keeping the camera in your pocket it is very doubtful whether it will come
into contact with temperatures like that for more than a few seconds
anyway..

A concern with keeping it in your pocket is moisture from your body. I
recommend keeping it in a plastic bag inside your pocket.

Did I mention I went heli-skiing last week?

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...res/friday.jpg

Mike... 8J

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old January 12th 04, 05:18 PM
Chester Bullock

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

InMyTree wrote:

I'm sure it can operate lower than this anyway, but remember, if you are
keeping the camera in your pocket it is very doubtful whether it will come
into contact with temperatures like that for more than a few seconds
anyway..

A concern with keeping it in your pocket is moisture from your body. I
recommend keeping it in a plastic bag inside your pocket.

Did I mention I went heli-skiing last week?

http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/Can...res/friday.jpg

It's worth saying again. Bite me.

As always, great pics Mike.
Old January 12th 04, 05:47 PM
klaus

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:
A concern with keeping it in your pocket is moisture from your body. I
recommend keeping it in a plastic bag inside your pocket.

Camera manufacturers highly recommend you do not do this, You put your
camara into the plastic bag inside your house, take it out in the
cold, and all the moisture condenses on your camera and inside
it. This is why they always pack cameras with those drying thingies
that say "DO NOT EAT".

-klaus

Old January 12th 04, 06:29 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

klaus wrote:

Camera manufacturers highly recommend you do not do this, You put your
camara into the plastic bag inside your house, take it out in the
cold, and all the moisture condenses on your camera and inside
it. This is why they always pack cameras with those drying thingies
that say "DO NOT EAT".

Hmmmm. I was recommending this since I had a camera have moisture
condense inside the lens because I had it in an internal pocket in my
suit and I was working hard that day. NOt sure what would be best. Just
temporary enclosure when exposure is high?

Mike... 8J

Old January 12th 04, 07:22 PM
bdubya

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:22:54 CST, James Bassuk
wrote:

it needs to take great pics, be quick to boot, and be small enough to fit
into a ski jacket pocket.

I don't own one myself, but you should take a long cold look at the
Canon ELPHs; they're about the size of a deck of cards, they feel
REALLY robust (I haven't done the drop test on one, but they feel
really tough), and take good pix. Boot time seems reasonable. and
I've been impressed with each one I've used.

I've got an Olympus c700 myself, which is nice because it has a 10x
optical zoom, and handles varying light conditions REALLY well. But
it's slow to boot, a little bulky, and doesn't feel quite as solid as
I'd like for skiing (I think this would apply to most Olympi with the
same shell, of which there are several). I take it skiing, but tend
to keep it buried in the pack, rather than in a pocket where it would
be more accessible. Great camera for some uses, but not for skiing.

bw

For Auction: Thermal Imaging Camera - One Day Left sell2all Nordic Skiing 0 April 29th 04 05:44 PM
Digital Video/Still Cameras on the mountain Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 6 March 15th 04 11:29 AM
using digital camera on the mountain Dmitry Snowboarding 14 March 4th 04 03:07 AM
The Daily Camera wamu Snowboarding 4 October 31st 03 07:52 PM
The Daily Camera wamu Nordic Skiing 0 October 31st 03 02:02 PM