Repair defect ski and exchange crooked stick?

Old January 22nd 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Thomas Paulsen

Default Repair defect ski and exchange crooked stick?

After my last tour I had to realise two defects.
One was a crooked ski stick:
http://omploader.org/vM2JvNQ
the other a deep scratch in my ski:
http://omploader.org/vM2JvMw
For the ski sticks: they are made from aluminium and were purchased (as
the ski) ~two weeks ago. Should I ask the shop to exchange them into
more reliable sticks or would they laugh at me saying "Just don't go
berserk with them!"?
With clothes, ski and all I weigh ~100 kg. The stick was crooked while
I catched myself from stumbling.

For the scratch: should I try to heat bond it with hot air, should I ask
a professional to repair the ski or should I just cut away the out
sticking material?

I am no professional and use the ski now and then (as long as snow
comes to where I live) for cruising across the fields or around/along
interesting objects to contribute to OpenStreetMap.
The ski are Fischer Europa 99 Crown.

Regards
Thomas Paulsen
Old January 22nd 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Thomas Paulsen wrote:
[...]

Hi Thomas,
I've found it pretty easy to bend an aluminum pole back into shape -
that's why rental shops like them so much ;-) It doesn't need to be
perfectly straight, either.
On the scratch: I would just cut away the material that is sticking out.
I have quite a few gouges in my skis and they really don't slow the
ski down after you remove any sticking-out bits. OTOH, try to stay off
the rocks ;-)

HTH,
Bob
Old January 22nd 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Thomas Paulsen

Bob Bob schrieb:

Hi Thomas,
I've found it pretty easy to bend an aluminum pole back into shape -

I'll hav a try at that, hoping the best.

that's why rental shops like them so much ;-) It doesn't need to be
perfectly straight, either.

But when it is crooked as mine is now, pushing on it it goes out of
shape far easier than the straight one.

On the scratch: I would just cut away the material that is sticking
out.

Hm.

I have quite a few gouges in my skis

That was the second tour with this ski. Are there some made from titan
with exchangeable plastic pads? I guess I'd be the perfect consumer for
them. 0o

and they really don't slow the ski down after you remove any
sticking-out bits.

I guess so. As long as some ski remains.

OTOH, try to stay off the rocks ;-)

To be exact: it was a hidden metal leftover from some old steps

HTH,

I do so, too

Thomas
Old January 22nd 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Short of deep gouges in the p-tex that need repairing, which you could
talk to a shop about, scratches in the base are like lines in a face, a
sign of character.

Gene

Old January 23rd 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 22, 3:49*pm, wrote:
Short of deep gouges in the p-tex that need repairing, which you could
talk to a shop about, scratches in the base are like lines in a face, a
sign of character.

OP's scratch has quite a bit of character, indeed

If the gear is used to get out occasionally when snow is around I
would not worry about the bent pole.

A 4 mm deep scratch I would expect to go through the base into the
core (wood)? In that case I would expect the thaw/freeze cycles to
gradually de-laminate the base from the core. I think bases are ~2 mm
thick at most, but correct me if I am wrong. I am sure you can find
pictures of ski crossections on the net