Backyard Summer Under Way! --Early report

Old May 7th 04, 06:09 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Backyard Summer Under Way! --Early report

I discovered a great new backyard training method: I chase the kids down
the yard trails while kicking a kickball after them. They're little so
they need an advantage. The game is for me to chase them and kick em
with the ball if I can. They're fast little blighters. It's also hard
kicking a ball down a trail and not into the woods. I made 2 great
longshots on the boy yesterday and 1 amazing score on both kids as they
huddled in a treefort. But it takes me about 20 minutes of hard action
to get a score on both of them. They love it. They'll do anything to
scream and run around in panic.

This new sport of offroad soccer that I have here invented made me think
of the fine zine that you all missed (out of print) called "Phooka: the
Journal of the Overland Mallet Club" (still has a great website:
http://www.wonderella.com/pamphlets/phooka.htm). "The OMC sought out
members who shared three very distinct interests: overland croquet, hard
liquor, and the natural history of the Fairy Kingdom. Overland croquet
is an odd combination of the traditional game and other sporting
endeavors like polo, rugby, and small game hunting." An enormously
well-written and funny zine indeed. All of which makes one think of
offroad golf. This has to be far better than the lame groomed stuff we
see around town.

Say, does anyone know about Stephen Potter's "Gamesmanship" books?
Simply amazing. And hilarious. The acme.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old May 7th 04, 10:27 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:09:22 -0400, Jeff Potter
wrote:

They love it. They'll do anything to
scream and run around in panic.

LOL.