Oxidization on the bottom of my skis

Old August 15th 03, 02:32 PM
Bob Creasote

Default Oxidization on the bottom of my skis

What about if I use one of those wire rotorbrushes?

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:36:16 +0200, "Bob Creasote"

wrote:

Hi,

I didn't know that I was meant to wax the bottom of my skis before I put
them away for the summer. Are they wrecked now?

No.
How can I get this
oxidization off?

Sanding, peeling, stone grinding...

Does it really make a difference?

Yes!!

thanks

Bob

You're welcome,
g.c.

Old August 15th 03, 02:51 PM
George Cleveland

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:32:12 +0200, "Bob Creasote"
wrote:

What about if I use one of those wire rotorbrushes?

I don't use a rotobrush set up so I can't say. Might be a good idea to check one
of the manufacturers websites to find out.

g.c.
Old August 15th 03, 03:16 PM
Chris Cline

Hi Bob-
If you search the archives of the RSN list, you will
find good posts on both topics you've recently posted
on (ski flex and this one on summer waxing/oxidation).
I suggest searching the archives for info on ski
flex-- complex topic, too much information to
summarize shortly (at least by me-- there are other
people here who are much more succinct!).

but, for summer waxing and oxidation, it's a little
simpler:
1) yes, you should clean and wax your skis before you
put them away in the spring. A thick coat of a nice
soft wax; then leave them unscraped. Put the skis in
a bag, and store them somewhere that is cool and dry.
You can get picky about whether to store them vertical
or horizontal, but waxed, covered, cool and dry are
the most important factors. In the fall , you just
scrape, apply the wax du jour, and go.

2) if you failed to do task #1, yes, your skis will be
oxidized and slow in the fall. Best remedy is to have
the skis stoneground by someone who knows how to do it
right (Nat Brown, Zach Caldwell are two of the best--
check the archives for posts from them, and info about
their companies). Hand scraping is better than
nothing, but in my experience, stone grinding is a lot
better.

Since it's still a couple of months until ski season,
it might not hurt to pull your skis out the attic,
dust them off, scrape the bases a bit (to remove at
least the top layer of oxidation), wax them, and store
them properly for the remainder of the off-season.
this will at least limit the amount of oxidation.

and pray for snow!!

Chris
--- Bob Creasote wrote:
Hi,

I didn't know that I was meant to wax the bottom of
my skis before I put
them away for the summer. Are they wrecked now? How
can I get this
oxidization off? Does it really make a difference?

thanks

Bob

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Old August 20th 03, 04:26 AM
Zachary Caldwell

Hi Bob - You're probably just fine. Brush the bases aggressively from tip to
tail with a fairly soft copper brush. Then apply some soft wax and scrape
with a sharp plastic scraper while it's still warm (but not molten) to pull
air-born pollutants out of tfe base. If the scrapings come of looking kind
of grungy you'll want to repeat this until things clear up. Then get some
wax back onto the ski and leave it there until you ski. Chances are they'll
hold wax and be fast.

However, if they don't clean up with repeated warm-scrapings, or if they
don't seem to hold wax once you're back on snow, you may have a layer of
hardened p-tex that needs to be removed. I'd suggest stonegrinding, and I
just happen to know one of the best grinders around. Check out
htp://www.engineeredtuning.net/
..
Best of luck!

Zach Caldwell