Hamstring troubles for skiers?

Old December 23rd 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default Hamstring troubles for skiers?

Does anyone notice that xc skiing puts an unusual strain on
hamstrings, that it uses this muscle in an unusual way? I find that I
have to be careful in this regard. --JP
Old December 24th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On Dec 23, 3:16 pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
Does anyone notice that xc skiing puts an unusual strain on
hamstrings, that it uses this muscle in an unusual way? I find that I
have to be careful in this regard. --JP

Same here. I find tht unless I keep on top of stretching, my
hamstrings, butt and lower back all get very tight in unison. When
I'm skiing, teh weak link will be the lower back, but I think it
relates to the others as well (also the weak ab).
Old December 24th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountaingirl

Wierdly my muscles are usually absolutely fine - it's my instep or
thumbs that go haywire.
Old December 24th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV

On Dec 23, 6:16*pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
Does anyone notice that xc skiing puts an unusual strain on
hamstrings, that it uses this muscle in an unusual way? I find that I
have to be careful in this regard. --JP

I used to do yoga stretches but have a hard time not hyper extending
my lower back when I do. My dance friends recommend using a ballet
barre. Puts a wicked good stretch on the glutes and hamstrings.
Still need to figure out how to fit one in my tiny condo.

Ed V.
Old December 26th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Cross country skiers, along with cyclists, are notorious for weak
hamstrings, tho stable gliding depends on them. Camilo, are you
posturally skiing from the core (roughly navel) and not the lower back
and glutes? It's a common problem.

Old December 26th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Indeed a common problem, and one I have to concentrate on avoiding.
My back issues are indeed helped when I concentrate on proper hip
position, use of abs and avoid arching the back. But stretching is
important too.

Old December 26th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It's interesting that a recent study or two found that stretching
doesn't prevent injury or ailment, but like you I have many years of
experience to suggest otherwise for myself.

Elbow troubles Bob L Nordic Skiing 2 September 27th 05 02:02 PM
Recommendations for mixed groups, skiers and non-skiers ? John Owens European Ski Resorts 0 July 11th 05 11:47 AM
Advice for big skiers? d Nordic Skiing 4 January 2nd 05 02:46 PM
Help On Pulled Hamstring Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 5 August 5th 04 11:44 AM
Why don't more skiers use RSN? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 03 02:49 AM