how fast do you go?

Old April 5th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default how fast do you go?

Christian G. Becker wrote:
Am 05.03.2010 23:49, schrieb Mike M. Miskulin:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

I have a GPS-logger with display and speed-measuring. Got 75 km/h at
two points in the recent winter:
* at Les Crosets in Portes Du Soleil (Swiss/France): under the Les
Mossettes - Lift at the Abricotine - slope. You have to speed up there
to make it to the next lift. Darn blue slopes with hills
* at Åre (Sweden): the Paradisbacken - slope in Duved. Hard and cold
snow.

I only take the thing out at places where I can keep an eye on the
display, it is rather meant to log the places I've taken photos of on
the slopes. Maybe I'll look into the gathered data, if I can calculate
speeds from it.

My understanding is that short term speed measurments are not very accurate on
GPS's.

Old April 13th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker[_2_]

Am 05.04.2010 17:09, schrieb Bob F:
Christian G. Becker wrote:
Am 05.03.2010 23:49, schrieb Mike M. Miskulin:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

I have a GPS-logger with display and speed-measuring. Got 75 km/h at
two points in the recent winter:
I only take the thing out at places where I can keep an eye on the
display, it is rather meant to log the places I've taken photos of on
the slopes. Maybe I'll look into the gathered data, if I can calculate
speeds from it.

My understanding is that short term speed measurments are not very accurate on
GPS's.

That might depend on how "hot" the GPS fixed its first coordinates and
how many satellites it can see. Tested mine several times in a car -
never differed a lot from the cars speed (which has to be calibrated to
show up to 10% + 4 km/h more but never less than actual speed here in
Germany).

Krischan
Old April 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Christian G. Becker wrote:

That might depend on how "hot" the GPS fixed its first coordinates and
how many satellites it can see. Tested mine several times in a car -
never differed a lot from the cars speed (which has to be calibrated to
show up to 10% + 4 km/h more but never less than actual speed here in
Germany).

Did you test how well the GPS tracked changes in speed? I'd try traveling at riding speed, like maybe 50-60 kph, and see how well
the GPS tracked changes in speed - get on the gas hard, then brake, see if it catches it.

I'm not real familiar with how these units do with the vertical drop, either. Straight horizontal velocity is a lot easier. Don't
some of them use an altimeter to get the elevation more accurately?

Neil
Old April 28th 13, 08:28 AM
J.James J.James is offline
Junior Member

Location: USA

I am not fast indeed but my spouse think that i am fastest in world.
Thanks to my spouse
Byron Bay Holiday Apartments

Last edited by J.James : December 3rd 13 at 09:44 AM.

Why Is A Ski Fast? jimbo Alpine Skiing 8 December 25th 06 02:52 AM
How fast have you gone on rollerskis? Chris Esposito Nordic Skiing 13 December 8th 04 11:41 PM
fast cash MATTHEWMIP Marketplace 0 October 3rd 04 06:39 PM
Fast freeride? Ian Snowboarding 19 May 7th 04 10:30 PM
How fast is Super G? John Smith Alpine Skiing 9 February 23rd 04 09:11 PM