REI bashing

Old October 7th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default REI bashing

On Oct 7, 11:46 am, klaus wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

Water from the Colorado River that ends up as tap water in Southern
California is pumped out down below all the big power dams. And there
is plenty of other water available to Southern California.

Well, then Southern California should use that "other" water because
right now, they are stealing a large portion of the water they are
using from the Colorado..

http://192.234.213.2/1997/101697_col...colorado_river...

When the upriver states start using their share, CA is gonna have to
get over their reluctance to build a pipeline from the north to the
south. Or go dry. *If* the NoCalians let them.

-klaus

Desalinization plants must be EXTREMELY expensive, because It seems
impractical to feed CA's water needs by piping water from so far
away. I suppose it shows what little I know in this area, but why on
earth would you not want to just pull salts out of ocean water ?

Old October 8th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
CA is gonna have to
get over their reluctance to build a pipeline from the north to the
south.

Ah, CA already has a "pipeline" from the north to the south AKA the
California Aqueduct. It's about 150ft wide, 30 ft deep; pumped uphill a
few times before it reaches the Los Angeles desert where it's squandered
watering lawns while attempting to duplicate an English countryside
environment.

We native NorteCalifornios fought the good fight to protect the leetle
feesh and keep the inland delta from going brackish, but we lost
although the politicos claim it was a compromise that protected the fish
and delta. BS.
Old October 8th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DaveM

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:45:40 -0700, comadrejo
wrote:

In article ,
klaus wrote:

Or go dry. *If* the NoCalians let them.

Most NoCalians are pretty much in the same situation as SoCalians, in
terms of getting most of their water via aqueducts. (85% or around those
figures of the water to the Bay Area comes from the Hetch Hetchy
reservoir) Counties like Marin and Santa Barbara are highly vulnerable,
because they rely or relied soley on their reservoirs and are not
connected to the California Aqueduct, which can be tricky during
drought years.

By far the biggest user of the Aqueducts are the farmers in the San
Joaquin and some in Sacramento Valley, they used up to 80-85 percent of
water in the California Aqueducts. In return they produce up to 45
percent of the US's produce.

If Western Mountains States don't want to give water to California,
then they shouldn't get any fruit, vegetables and wine that irrigations
delivers. Just mooseburgers and beer for nine months a year, and moose
droppings to fertilize the garden the other three months when they can
grow a garden.

I assume that doesn't include WA. We are growing some fine wines in
the Walla Walla Valley. We have plenty of moose but better food also.
Elk steaks, for instance. I really don't need avacados in
February.And, I am not sure that appreciate sending our power
generation south to get them. Thanks tho.

On the plus side, we have been seeing some snowishness at the higher
elevations, even down to 5500' or so. Hmmmmmmm.....

Dave M.
Old October 8th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

comadrejo wrote:

If Western Mountains States don't want to give water to California,
then they shouldn't get any fruit, vegetables and wine that irrigations
delivers. Just mooseburgers and beer for nine months a year, and moose
droppings to fertilize the garden the other three months when they can
grow a garden.

It's not like you "give" us fruit. Why should we give you water? We'll
do it fair and square. Wanna buy a few thousand acre feet of water?
Your nine month growing season ain't **** without our water. ObSkiing:
But only after we're done skiing in it.

-klaus