Question about clothing

Old January 28th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Default Question about clothing

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
]...
In article UGdnj.43806$fj2.20627@edtnps82,
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
]...
In article gxTmj.43615$fj2.8769@edtnps82,
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in
helmets
and in skin tight suits.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet
no
one wears those skin tight suits.

I sort of understand why, but....

I also XC Ski on various club owned trails. The clothing that racers
wear,
is also seen worn by those who just ski for fun.

Why does this happen?

Micheal

Because downhill racers are sacrificing comfort and warmth for a very
brief run where recreational downhill skiers are out there for hours.

Makes sense, at least for those suits, but what about helmets? When I
have
skied, only the little kids have them on. Wouldn't a helmet provide
warmth?
Last winter, I took snowboard lessons, and i rented a helmet as well. I
found it to be all I needed on my head.... no need for a touque.

Racers are wearing helmets because they are skiing much closer to the
edge of control at higher speeds than typical recreational skiers.
However, some recreational skiers feel they may as well take every
precaution they can.

What has this got to do with clothing?

Well, they are clothing, or at least they are substituted for clothing. In
other sports if you do the sport for recreation, you wear very simular
clothing as the competitors. (eg. swimming, xc skiing, biking, etc) I am
just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

With cross-country skiers, the athletes and the recreation participants
usage profile is much more similar.

What do you mean?

Cross-country athletes competing in their events are out in the
conditions for much the same time periods that a recreational
cross-country skier is out skiing. The athlete may cover more ground,
but both are expending energy and therefore dissipating heat at similar
rates and thus must wear similar clothing.

I now get your point, and it is true.

Thanks,

Micheal

MT Washington is great.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old January 28th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Micheal Artindale wrote:

In
other sports if you do the sport for recreation, you wear very simular
clothing as the competitors. (eg. swimming, xc skiing, biking, etc)

Um...I swim, but I don't wear a speedo.

(Short pause while everybody breathes a sigh of relief...)

I ride a bike, but I don't wear the bicycle outfit.
I cook recreationally, but I don't wear a chef's toque.
etc. etc. etc.

I am just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

The main thing is practicality. Those ski racing suits are optimized
for a ski run of two minutes or so. If you're skiing any longer than
that they're just not practical.

//Walt

Old January 28th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Micheal Artindale wrote:
(snip for brevity)

Michael, did you get the answer you were looking for?

The real answer is that Alpine racers do wear exactly
what their recreational counterparts wear...
right up the the moment their race begins, then they
strip down to their racing suits to eliminate as much
drag as possible, because races are won in hundredths
of seconds, run their race, and bundle up again at
the bottom.

Now, for my question of you.

Several years ago, my soon to be wife and I took a trip
to Nova Scotia for two weeks to make sure we could stand
each other in close proximity for extended periods. That
part of the trip worked since we are now married and
have been for some time now.

The reason we picked Nova Scotia is that Kentville is
my father's hometown and I had never seen Cape Breton
Island. It was a nostalgia trip for me and just an all
round nice trip. We found the old homestead and then
circled the Cabot Trail. I noted a ski area in Ingonish.

I thought it was great that there was a ski area with
a view of the Atlantic. Neat. My question is, is it
a decent place to ski?

Another regular poster here made the same trip, IIRC,
last summer (LAL?) and probably has the same question.

I picked you up as being from NS from your ISP's
website, if you are wondering. I've also noted other
rather small ski areas in other parts of NS, but I
liked the idea of the one in Ingonish the best.

Additionally, I have always thought of NS as Vermont
with an ocean. This may be clouded because I've never
been in NS in the winter.

VtSkier

Old January 28th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
(snip for brevity)

Michael, did you get the answer you were looking for?

Sort of. Although, if I were crazy enough to wear those things, I'd better
ski like I should have one on.

[...]

Hope you like the man made stuff. you get snow, then rain, then more snow,
then warm

Another regular poster here made the same trip, IIRC,
last summer (LAL?) and probably has the same question.

I picked you up as being from NS from your ISP's
website, if you are wondering. I've also noted other
rather small ski areas in other parts of NS, but I
liked the idea of the one in Ingonish the best.

I think you mean Antigonish, and I know there is one there, but its a couple
hrs away

Additionally, I have always thought of NS as Vermont
with an ocean. This may be clouded because I've never
been in NS in the winter.

I am originally from Northern Ontario. Here, they do not know how to plow
roads.

I miss Mount Antoine.

Micheal

Old January 28th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Micheal Artindale wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
(snip for brevity)

Michael, did you get the answer you were looking for?

Sort of. Although, if I were crazy enough to wear those things, I'd better
ski like I should have one on.

Well true, walk the walk, etc.

[...]

No, actually I do mean Ingonish. It's on the northern
end of Cape Breton, on the east side, north of Sydney.

I have relatives in Antigonish, at least I did some
years ago.

Additionally, I have always thought of NS as Vermont
with an ocean. This may be clouded because I've never
been in NS in the winter.

I am originally from Northern Ontario. Here, they do not know how to plow
roads.

North Ontario? Do you mean James Bay? I didn't
thing they even HAD roads there.

I miss Mount Antoine.

Niagra escarpment? I hear good skiing from that
part of the world, short but good.

Micheal

Old January 28th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Micheal Artindale wrote:
... I am
just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

Just don't get a boner in a racing suit. HTH HAND
Old January 28th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
[...]

I dont know NS that well.

I have relatives in Antigonish, at least I did some
years ago.

Additionally, I have always thought of NS as Vermont
with an ocean. This may be clouded because I've never
been in NS in the winter.

I am originally from Northern Ontario. Here, they do not know how to plow
roads.

North Ontario? Do you mean James Bay? I didn't
thing they even HAD roads there.

Not that far!!!!!! A place called North Bay. They have a nice hill,
although, If you cant stop, you end up in traffic!

I miss Mount Antoine.

Niagra escarpment? I hear good skiing from that
part of the world, short but good.

This was in a little town called Mattawa. It is not since closed, but a
great hill

Micheal

Old January 28th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

"BrritSki" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
... I am
just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

Just don't get a boner in a racing suit. HTH HAND

..... wait, i thought thats what the ladies want to see. They wear tight
stuff to show off.

I know that as cold temps hit, You would not even know I was a guy.

Old January 28th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Micheal Artindale wrote:
"BrritSki" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
... I am
just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

Just don't get a boner in a racing suit. HTH HAND

.... wait, i thought thats what the ladies want to see. They wear tight
stuff to show off.

I know that as cold temps hit, You would not even know I was a guy.

contraction will occur
Old January 28th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
TexasSkiNut

On Jan 28, 3:10*pm, BrritSki wrote:
Micheal Artindale wrote:

* ... I am just trying to figure out why Alpine skiing doesnt.

Just don't get a boner in a racing suit. *HTH *HAND

Speaking of SallyDoug, Google turned up a post by him over at
FirstTracksOnline.com's forum back in December 2006:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?
p=13943&sid=a9763f5c6b01c3d9c5550ff397663974#13943
"For those on the Ski Vermont Discussion list who've wondered what's
become of the only member to ever be permanently banned..I graduated
from UVM in 2001..I lived in Bozeman Montana from 2002-2004 where I
skied alot at Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, and some backcountry spots..Since
2004 I've been living in PA and working for the family business. Once
again I'm racking up the vertical at Blue mountain and I'll be in
Jackson Hole from January 21st to the 30th and going to South America
for the first time this summer."

Hmmmm, Jackson Hole....

xc clothing repair/bonding question [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 October 22nd 07 10:19 PM
Ladies Ski Clothing Judy Marketplace 0 May 6th 04 06:20 PM
CLOTHING ADVISE PLZ k European Ski Resorts 8 February 26th 04 08:55 PM
Noob clothing question.. Calz Snowboarding 5 December 2nd 03 10:08 PM
Where to buy clothing in UK? Tim Sampson Snowboarding 2 October 1st 03 10:33 AM