running

Old March 2nd 04, 12:31 AM
32 degrees

Default running

Well, I am getting sick of skiing. Happens every spring. I go bonkers for
snow in October, November - out skiing in slush and junk... then when we
have good snow in March I am out running - go figure. Sunday it was 52
degrees and our local area was groomed to a T - so what do I do? Go running
7 miles in 53 minutes. 90 days till my running marathon ! Bayshore in
Traverse City, Mich.

A few notes about the first run.

1. It hurts.
2. You breath REAL hard for the first 20 minutes.
3. It seems like a lot of work.
4. All pounding, no glide.
5. Slush is not fun to run in.
6. Going skiing again next weekend.

JK

Old March 3rd 04, 02:06 AM
revyakin

Running delivers "the best training value for your time". I.e. you get
out of your door and run. No need to drive to good pavement for
rollerskiing (unless you are Gary Jacobson).

Old March 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
laxer

"32 degrees" wrote in message ...
Well, I am getting sick of skiing. Happens every spring. I go bonkers for
snow in October, November - out skiing in slush and junk... then when we
have good snow in March I am out running - go figure.

I kinda feel the same way, although the snow sucks here. We were
out doing classical in the pouring rain, standing water in places, and
I pretty much decided that unless we get new snow, im done with skiing
for the year. No longer really fun.
As a note about the running as a form of training, yeah, it is a
base for all of the training. Rollerskiing is more for technique and
strength building than bulding base, although it is essential to but
in long rollerskis throught the summer to keep the strenght base.
Also, I think that cycling isnt necessairly wasted, because it helps
promote strong, aerobically efficent leg muscles. but yeah, it all
comes back to running.

laxer
Old March 3rd 04, 03:24 AM
Marsh Jones

laxer wrote:
"32 degrees" wrote in message ...

[...]

I thought I'd been doing pretty well this winter and then, yesterday, I
had to go for a run. I know it'll get easier, but today I have sore
legs in a big way. What I really needed to do today was go for an easy
run and instead I stood on a trade show floor all evening. Not a good
way to get back to running:-)

Marsh Jones

Old March 3rd 04, 01:18 PM
PBDoyle

A fine alternative to running and its impact problems is racewalking.
Years ago, when I was a much more serious athlete than I am now and a
racewalker, I spoke at length with a number of elite walkers who were
also xcskiiers. They were universal in their opinion that the benefits
of training in either discipline transferred well one to the other.
The references were to classic skiing only.
Of course, the problems of racewalking are that it is not as intuitive
as running (though there are plenty of people who run "wrong".)and it
surely does look odd. Neither of these should be a big problem to
anyone who has spent any time learning to perfect the techniques of
classic skiing and has been out in public with boards on their feet
and sticks on their arms. Back to lurking, Pete.

Old March 3rd 04, 05:36 PM

I agree strongly about racewalking being great training for both
skiing and running for that matter. Only 2 caveats:

If you racewalk with any kind of forward lean, like we maybe should
for skiing body position, it's just about impossible to land with
a straightened knee, so that's no good if you're planning to
compete in a racewalk and don't want to get kicked out for
illegal technique.

But who wants to compete anyway? I'm afraid that I've not got too
high an opinion of racewalking as a competitive sport. It's too
close to figure skating and all those politics with the judges.
At least in our sport, it's not that hard to tell if somebody
is illegal in a classic race. I really don't know how you're
supposed to tell if somebody's knee is straight without some
kind of mobile X-ray machine. And the 'no lifting' rule is
probably even worse!

Best, Peter
Old March 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
PBDoyle

Dear Peter: Obviously you've watched some racewalking. All those
caveats, especially the politics of judging are unfortunatly true. As
an adjunct to a training program, though, it is worthwhile -
especially if impact is an issue or becomes so. Regards, Pete
Old March 7th 04, 12:16 AM
Rapid Rick

I feel for you, bro. Well, not that much--7:30 minute miles make me
slightly yearn for my youth. Last time I've had the pleasure to run
outside--I run on grass--was back in mid November after the first snows were
fading, temp around 20 and wind howling. Actually kinda sucked--I started
running, turned around immediately to retrieve my ski goggles due to the
eyes watering thing.

Anyway, last week's snows produced great conditions out on the trails today.
F4'd my waxless for the first time and I was FLAMING--probably due to the
snow, though, wax pretty hard to get on. Winter storm warnings out there
right now and winds gusting to 40 mph tomorrow--can't wait. Wife's got beef
stew on the kettle, life is good.

--
Raider Rick
"Just ski, baby"