sore feet, looking for a solution

Old December 3rd 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
sluggo

Default sore feet, looking for a solution

Hi there,
I haven't skied for a few years because of foot pain. Almost the whole
of the bottom of my foot gets extremely sore very soon after starting
to ski. 20 min is about all I can do before having to go sit down some
where. I get the exact same foot pain when doing ice skating. I think
I had the same pain once when I did a long walk in barefeet along a
beach with compacted sand.

I was diagnosed with plantar faciatis years ago and have orthodics for
it. I don't really get PF symptoms anymore, and it's not clear to me
if the pain I get from skiing is plantar fasciitis. I have tried to
ski with my orthotics and from what I recall, they made it even worse.

I'd like to give skiing another shot but could use some advice on what
may be causing my pain. If it an arch issue or something like that, I
don't quite understand why the orthotics didn't help. Perhaps they
made the boot too tight or something.

thanks
Old December 3rd 10, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

sluggo wrote:
Hi there,
I haven't skied for a few years because of foot pain. Almost the whole
of the bottom of my foot gets extremely sore very soon after starting
to ski. 20 min is about all I can do before having to go sit down some
where. I get the exact same foot pain when doing ice skating. I think
I had the same pain once when I did a long walk in barefeet along a
beach with compacted sand.

I think I know what the problem is...

I was diagnosed with plantar faciatis years ago and have orthodics for
it. I don't really get PF symptoms anymore, and it's not clear to me
if the pain I get from skiing is plantar fasciitis. I have tried to
ski with my orthotics and from what I recall, they made it even worse.

Yes, that's like me. I wore orthopedic insoles for about 5 years, ending
about 30 years ago.

I'd like to give skiing another shot but could use some advice on what
may be causing my pain. If it an arch issue or something like that, I
don't quite understand why the orthotics didn't help. Perhaps they
made the boot too tight or something.

I have tried multiple pairs of both skating and combi boots, but I get
exactly the same kind of problems as you do.

However, when I instead wear my (much cheaper!) soft classic touring
boots, everything is OK.

I do quite a bit of skating as well in those boots, and yes, that is
more tiring than with a proper pair of skating boots, but otoh, it
doesn't hurt!

I.e. try skiing in low/soft classic boots and see what happens: This is
more like a pair of sneakers than modern ski boots.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old December 3rd 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Alpina made low cut skating boots in the mid 1990s. Don't know if
anyone still does. Don't know if Terje tried the lower end combi
boots, but those also tend to be softer.

What does a sports orthopod (preferably one who is a skier and
specializes in feet) have to say?

Gene

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Old December 3rd 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
sluggo

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Thanks Terje,

The boots I had were for classic, but I'm not sure if they would be
called soft. Do you have any brand/model recommendations? Is this
something that I might have to find used?

cheers

Old December 3rd 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bill[_3_]

On Dec 2, 8:33*pm, sluggo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Have you tried experimenting with different heel heights? I had
achilles tendon issues for years, and it ultimately really helped to
find the proper ramp angle for running shoes, ski boots,etc. A simple
heel wedge under the orthotic (or without it) might help. For me, too
much heel lift wasn't good, but there was an optimal angle between
that and being too low. Also, have you seen a physical therapist? They
could probably do some work on your foot to mobilize it, and could
give you some suggestions for exercises and stretching. A stretch that
a PT gave me years ago has helped me to pretty much resolve my
achilles issues. Good luck.
Bill
Old December 3rd 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

sluggo wrote:
The boots I had were for classic, but I'm not sure if they would be
called soft. Do you have any brand/model recommendations? Is this
something that I might have to find used?

I have used many models over the years, all NNN "light touring" boots.

The current pair(s) are alpina NNN 311.

Terje

-Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Thanks Terje,

The boots I had were for classic, but I'm not sure if they would be
called soft. Do you have any brand/model recommendations? Is this
something that I might have to find used?

cheers

re; soft ski boots
The Whitewoods 302 is quite flexible for a classic ski boot. I have the
301 version and find them comparable to a light hiking boot, much less
stiff than most xc boots.

Another thought, may not help, but should not hurt; Try excentric calf
exercise. These seem to strengthen various foot muscles as well as calf.
http://www.carletonsportsmed.com/chr...tendinitis.htm