FS/ One Stride Ahead/ Marty Hall w/Pam Pendfold

Old September 10th 03, 04:35 PM

Default FS/ One Stride Ahead/ Marty Hall w/Pam Pendfold

Hi All,

I've thoroughly read it, inside-and-out, and I'm putting my copy of "One
Stride Ahead" by Marty Hall, up for sale. The book is in excellent
condition. $2.50
Such a deal!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...76913311/all/r
ef=dp_pb_a/103-8789513-7970248

getreading

Old September 11th 03, 12:11 PM

Speaking of downhill and tucks, one great little thing I can remember
out of that book was the "reverse-shoulder" technique for being able
to stay in the set track around corners at higher speeds. Does anybody
besides me still use that in races occasionally? I think maybe it's
considered old fashioned. You end up showing more frontal (or maybe
'sidal') area to the wind, but maybe save time or energy by not
having to take a ski out of the track. That technique had never occurred
to me before reading Marty Hall's description. Is he still skiing
the American Birkie every year? We've missed him at Keski recently.

Best, Peter

Old September 11th 03, 02:33 PM
Chris Cline

I took a clinic with Justin Wadsworth a couple of
years ago, and he taught a technique that was mostly
"visualization" for getting proper position through
fast/hairy turns:

Imagine you are crouching in your tuck, holding a
cafeteria tray full of glasses out in front of you.
As you go through the corner, you want to keep that
tray out and level.

I found this visualization to be great for looking
ahead down the track, anticipating changes in terrain
and track angle, and also for keeping your hands out
in front of you (not sitting up and back and letting
your hands get behind your hips!)

Chris C.
SLC
--- Jim Farrell wrote:
wrote:
Speaking of downhill and tucks, one great little

thing I can remember
out of that book was the "reverse-shoulder"

technique for being able
to stay in the set track around corners at higher

speeds. Does anybody
besides me still use that in races occasionally?

That is how I was taught to take corners at speed
(only a couple of
years ago). I use it both in the track and out.
Helps me with edging,
maintaining speed without washing out . . .

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Old September 12th 03, 12:45 AM
Rob Bradlee

I use the hands on the steering wheel image. Keeping
the hands in front is key. To turn left roll the
wheel left which brings your right hand across your
body. I taught this to a very fit, but totally novice
skier this winter and he immediately carved three
linked turns down a hill. It really works!

Rob Bradlee

--- Jim Farrell wrote:
wrote:
Speaking of downhill and tucks, one great little

thing I can remember
out of that book was the "reverse-shoulder"

technique for being able
to stay in the set track around corners at

higher
speeds. Does anybody
besides me still use that in races occasionally?

That is how I was taught to take corners at speed
(only a couple of
years ago). I use it both in the track and out.
Helps me with edging,
maintaining speed without washing out . . .

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site
design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old September 12th 03, 03:19 AM
Scott Elliot

This reverse shoulder position helps to "angulate". If you turn your
shoulders out of the turn a bit it gets your weight out over the outside ski
where it will do most good in helping to steer through the turn. It also
moves the hips a bit to the inside of the turn, making the angle of the legs
to the snow slightly more acute. This bit of an angle helps to edge the
outside ski to better hold the snow instead of slipping out. Another
advantage of this technique is that by getting the weight over the outside
ski there is little or no weight on the inside ski, making is it possible to
lift the inside ski in order to do a skate or step turn to increase speed,
avoid an object in the snow or tighten the radius of the turn. The reverse
shoulder position also helps to keep the inside hand and arm well forward.
If they are allowed to drop behind the inside hip it is very difficult to
save yourself if you start to have problems.

This type of turning technique tends to be a little more aggressive than
steering through the turn so it is more useful in tight situations.
Steering through the turn is preferred in less aggressive turns because it
is a more aerodynamic position, especially if you can maintain a tuck. It
is a good idea to master both techniques so you can match your technique to
the course and snow conditions.

If in doubt, it is also a good idea to get out of the tracks before you get
too committed to the turn. As long as you keep in good position and don't
allow yourself to get locked into a snowplough position you have more
options on how to take the turn if you are out of the tracks.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

. ..