Drag parachute for rollerskiing

Old July 21st 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default Drag parachute for rollerskiing

I saw this thing at a sports store - a parachute for runners for
resistance training. Where I am, I have to drive about half an hour to
get to a decent uphill, and it is not long enough and I'm not thrilled
going downhill on wheels. I do use speed reducers on my Aeros to add
resistance on flats, but it feels artificial. So, a drag chute would
seem like a good idea. Some possible drawbacks come come to mind
though. Unless you're at a stadium, it must look really weird. Also,
if the wind is at your back, this thing will probably sag and tangle,
unless you outrun the wind.

Has anyone used it/seen it used this way?
Old July 29th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jul 21, 10:10*am, Larry wrote:
I saw this thing at a sports store - a parachute for runners for
resistance training. Where I am, I have to drive about half an hour to
get to a decent uphill, and it is not long enough and I'm not thrilled
going downhill on wheels. I do use speed reducers on my Aeros to add
resistance on flats, but it feels artificial. So, a drag chute would
seem like a good idea. Some possible drawbacks come come to mind
though. Unless you're at a stadium, it must look really weird. Also,
if the wind is at your back, this thing will probably sag and tangle,
unless you outrun the wind.

Has anyone used it/seen it used this way?

I had this idea, never really tried it. Rollerskis look weird enough
already, the chute won't make it much worse.
Old September 11th 10, 05:23 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

I like shutes for their cool factor, but never tried any.

Why not just get slow wheels, or "brake" bearings?
I used to have 4*90mm Continental wheels (made for wet conditions, awefully slow beyond one's imagination) in my K2 inline skates. One of 4 per skate had brake bearings. In stead of steeel balls, a rubber core or sorts. NO spin at all to those wheels.
I took the slow wheels out, leaving me with 3 "normal" Conti wheels per foot. I swear, I am faster on average snow than this. Plenty of resistance. Once you let down the effort, you are back to a crawl.
Old November 6th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

--
Jan Gerrit Klok

Can also use a big ass umbrella I supose.