Ski waxing

Old February 29th 04, 03:54 PM
JP

Default Ski waxing

Some advice please, just bought my first pair of ski's and was wondering how
often i should have them waxed. Is this a job for the shop, or is it one to
learn my self.
I've also seen some wax you rub on with a sponge applicator?? Are these any
good??
Also with new ski's, are they good to go, or should i get them waxed before
first us. I bought from an online dealer, not sure what state they some in??

Many thanks

John

Old February 29th 04, 04:21 PM
PG

"JP" wrote in message
| Some advice please, just bought my first pair of ski's and was
wondering how
| often i should have them waxed. Is this a job for the shop, or is it
one to
| learn my self.
| I've also seen some wax you rub on with a sponge applicator?? Are
these any
| good??
| Also with new ski's, are they good to go, or should i get them waxed
before
| first us. I bought from an online dealer, not sure what state they
some in??

Ideally you should wax a new pair of skis several times before you first
use them. The edges won't be a problem when new. And learning to do it
yourself will save you money long-term, it's all pretty straightforward.
You can get some pretty botched jobs on edges from shops - I was very
unlucky in the respect in the early days. Much better to get into the
habit of manually tuning/waxing your skis than to rely on a machine job
from an anonymous resort shop - unless it comes with a recommendation.

Pete

Old February 29th 04, 09:55 PM
Tommy Petersson

"JP" wrote in news:NOo0c.2121$zu.1988@newsfe1-win:

Some advice please, just bought my first pair of ski's and was
wondering how often i should have them waxed. Is this a job for the
shop, or is it one to learn my self.
I've also seen some wax you rub on with a sponge applicator?? Are
these any good??
Also with new ski's, are they good to go, or should i get them waxed
before first us. I bought from an online dealer, not sure what state
they some in??

Many thanks

John

Waxing and sharpening edges is very easy to do yourself, repairing the base
is slightly more involved but doable as well.

Use an old iron on "medium heat", warm the base slightly, melt the wax onto
the ski, see to that it's even and gets into the base, scrape off the wax
(only the wax that is in the pores of the base is used). If you want, also
polish the base a little put a lump of cloth in a nylon stocking and rub
the base.

Do this to your new skis, then *after* every ski weekend/week. It's better
to think *after* than *before*, otherwise your skis will probably stand
unwaxed until it's time to ski next year - and the base will age much les
if kept waxed.

The liquid "sponge wax" isn't worthless, but no replacement for real wax.
If you go on a week-long trip, you can apply some liquid wax in the morning
of day 3 and 5, as an example.

/Tommy P.

Old March 1st 04, 08:40 AM
Abairsty

try http://www.toko.ch/eng_index.htm a great informative site with a step bt
step to tuning skis
Old March 1st 04, 07:31 PM
Bruce Evans

In article , PG
writes

"JP" wrote in message
| Some advice please, just bought my first pair of ski's and was
wondering how
| often i should have them waxed. Is this a job for the shop, or is it
one to
| learn my self.
| I've also seen some wax you rub on with a sponge applicator?? Are
these any
| good??
| Also with new ski's, are they good to go, or should i get them waxed
before
| first us. I bought from an online dealer, not sure what state they
some in??

Ideally you should wax a new pair of skis several times before you first
use them.

I am still confused on this point. The book 'ski maintenance and repair'
also says exactly what you say - wax new skis before using them.

However, both of the last two pairs of skis I have bought I specifically
asked the ski shop this question : and was told emphatically both times
: 'no sir, they are ready to go now'. Both 'reputable' ski shops in the
alps.

True or false?

Bruce
Old March 1st 04, 08:18 PM
Simon Brown

Nuts. Always wax new skis unless the shop already did that. If not they are
providing poor service. If you buy skis from Foppa in Laax Adrian will
always wax them before you get a chance to play.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

In article , PG

Old March 4th 04, 08:09 PM
John Elgy

Tommy Petersson wrote:

[...]

I always put the liquid wax on the skis before packing them for the
journey home. It prevents rust forming on the edges over the journey.

John

Old March 5th 04, 12:02 AM
Tommy Petersson

John Elgy wrote in
:

I always put the liquid wax on the skis before packing them for the
journey home. It prevents rust forming on the edges over the journey.

John

A good thing to do, but if I'm flying to the Alps I'm not bringing the iron
and the wax. I wax them before I go and then just apply the "sponge wax" a
couple of times during the week.

/Tommy P.